Convert semaphores to lights?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Convert semaphores to lights?

Post by FLHerne »

Am I correct in thinking there's no way to 'upgrade' from semaphore signalling to light signals without using ctrl-convert on each individual signal? It doesn't seem to be area-draggable, and if there's another button for it I've missed it for four years or so. :P
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Convert semaphores to lights?

Post by planetmaker »

I think your perception is right.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Maybe you can remove all signals from the line with (remove+)ctrl+drag then place them again with ctrl+drag.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Brumi wrote:Maybe you can remove all signals from the line with (remove+)ctrl+drag then place them again with ctrl+drag.
That sure works. But is *very* risky if the the line is actually used by trains.
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

I was never really looking for such a feature but I, too, would find it quite nice.

So planetmaker, since the "perception is right", is my perception right, that you are going to tell us if such a feature is planned or has been requested at all? :?:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I think that perception is wrong.

Feature aren't planned, they just happen.
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

Alberth wrote:Feature aren't planned, they just happen.
But they get requested. Any answer to my question? :?:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Qu@rks wrote:is my perception right, that you are going to tell us if such a feature is planned or has been requested at all?
Not sure you mean that question. But the answer is 'no'. I'm not going to tell as I simply don't know the answer for reasons Alberth mentioned. The only thing I know: it is not on my personal agenda to spend time on in the near or mid-term future - there's a lot more interesting things IMHO; As my crystal ball is mal-functioning, I don't know if anyone else will want to spend time to write such patch - but I know neither of such plans or previous requests for a quick conversion of semaphore to light signals either.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the quickest way to replace semaphore signals to light signals is load a (static) GRF replacing the signal graphics

otherwise, this seems like an easy task for someone who knows not a lot about the game internals and wants to dive in a bit.

estimation: ca. 20 LOC (2 hours)
Dave

Post by Dave »

It would be more realistic (uh-oh!) if you upgrade your signals bit by bit.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I have the change date set to before my game start, so I always get electric lights.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Dave wrote:It would be more realistic (uh-oh!) if you upgrade your signals bit by bit.
Sure, but I'd like to upgrade them route-by-route rather than signal-by-signal. The latter gets a bit tedious. :P

The former bit rules out a straight graphics replacement.

Might see if I can patch the UI after all this house-moving business, but I've got all sorts of other 'that might be interesting' ideas and a severe lack of motivation to actually try any of them (rather than posting on forums continuously). :(
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

BTW, semaphores are better than lights because you can see its state from rear side.
On the other size, they are completely unclear if placed for diagonal track (I refer to standard graphics).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there are two types of semaphore signals in the default set. british-style (left of track) and german style (right of track), depending on which signal side you choose. which one of those is unclear, and why?
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Eddi wrote:there are two types of semaphore signals in the default set. british-style (left of track) and german style (right of track), depending on which signal side you choose. which one of those is unclear, and why?
I don't use the german-style ones often, but British ones on diagonal track are very unclear.
The difference is only in a few pixel, in a single line that can be easily obscured by things in front of it and is difficult to read in any case.

See below - can you tell which are clear and which aren't?

(OTOH, I can't see how a more-readable version that still looked like a British semaphore could be done, and I'm not willing to sacrifice that for greater readability. :P )
Attachments
semaphores.png
semaphores.png (12.53 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Eddi wrote: which one of those is unclear, and why?
I'm using "german" ones and they appear unclear. Those for train going from right to left side of screen, does not have visible red/green light.
Additionally white/red pattern and red-white table make one-way and two-way PBSs hard to distinguish (both type or direction).
British semaphores on diagonal track look much more clear if compared to "continental" ones.
White/red pattern is correctly related to prototype, but maybe it should be one tone darker.
Semaphore arm length is ambiguous for l-r and r-l direction.
Attachments
s1.png
s1.png (20.7 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
s2.png
s2.png (18.34 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
CPR1983
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CPR1983 »

I have just tried this and it seemed to work.

Convert 1 semaphore and from that one, drag over your other semaphores and they convert automatically
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

CPR1983 wrote:Convert 1 semaphore and from that one, drag over your other semaphores and they convert automatically
Yes that works. But only for as long as you can drag. If there is an abundance of corners, this turns out to be quite a pain, too ;)

Return to “General OpenTTD”