I'd like to play long games

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NitroX infinity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

I'd like to play long games

Post by NitroX infinity »

I'm a long time player, though not continuously, and one thing that has always bothered me was the relative short amount of playing time. I mean the 1950 - 2050 timeframe. For me it's at the point where I don't really enjoy playing the game anymore. So I'm wondering if it would be possible to set how long each type of train lasts in the game?

Example; 100 years of steam, followed by 100 years of diesel, followed by 100 years of electric, followed by 100 years of monorail and after that 100 years of maglev.
Or; 50 years of steam, followed by 40 years of diesel, followed by 80 years of electric, followed by 20 years of monorail and lastly 200 years of maglev.

Ofcourse, I understand there is more to the game than trains alone so everything else that 'ages' should be adjusted too, through formulas.

So, is there a way to do this? Does such a modification already exist or is it impossible to achieve with the current code?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: I'd like to play long games

Post by planetmaker »

It's not like the game is limited to 2050 - you can play unhindered till the year 5000000.

Though indeed, most often no new vehicles are introduced past 2050 or so. Yet there are some sets which introduce vehicles early asl 1870 or and sets, like NUTS, which introduce the last rail vehicles just before 2100. But the introduction date of the last vehicle doesn't mean you have to stop playing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

While the original "tycoon" part of the game ends at the year 2050, the current state of OpenTTD allows it to continue on into near-infinity. The GameScript framework allows for the creation of goals and other objectives, and can be used to extend the "tycoon" style of game play, along with other types of game play. NewGRFs for years have allowed for the creation of new vehicles, industries and economies which can be extended as far back or as far forward in time as is desired.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

NUTS is great in 1900-2100, but works since year 1666 I think :D
ImageImageImage
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

"I like to play long games"

Are you my ex-wife? :P

Seriously though, what you might find handier than trying to alter the vehicle introduction dates and such is to find a daylength patch (or a binary with one built in) that way, you can tweak the length of the game without actually altering the years (i.e you make a year longer, same net effect as altering introduction dates, and also compatible with any vehicle set)

I use the Spring Patch Pack with a daylength of 5 I believe it is. Long enough so that years don't fly by, but not so long as to feel like it's dragging.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I played with UKRS2 and Dutch Trainset 2, kept playing to ~2150... Starts in 1970 through !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

isn't there that daylength patch ?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm currently in the year 4756 in my game, the map is that of England & Wales!

You could find and edit a current GRF to release things at wider date variations to suit your needs though.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I like to skip over diesel and monorail,so stretching to force more changes would annoy me...but I do like longterm games.I haven't tried starting before 1901 yet but I do have some NewGRFs that would allow that.

Return to “General OpenTTD”