Rename your BaNaNaS upload

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Rename your BaNaNaS upload

Post by TrueBrain »

Today I give you the opportunity to rename your BaNaNaS upload. Normally we do not allow this for various (mostly technical) reasons, but I feel in a good mood that I have no problem spending a few minutes per entry to change the name of your upload.

This is a one time offer, and unlikely to reoccur. Use it wisely ;)

Changing a name means that both the filename, as the name on the website, as the name in the OpenTTD client will change, as will the http:// urls.

This is mostly intended for the group of people who by accident added a version to their name, and those who think the 'version' field means the OpenTTD version (it does not :P).

Changes can only be requested by the original authors. Do not request a change of name if you are not the author (and I am sure some of you will fail to read this line .. lucky enough we have a good moderator team here. Just saying .. ;))

PS: it goes for all BaNaNaS uploadable material, NewGRFs, AIs, Heightmaps, you name it.
PPS: be specific. I fail in doing regexp replacement, so say which name has to go in what name.
PPPS: for those here longer, yes, this is a 100% copy of the post from Dec 2011 :P
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Rename your BaNaNaS upload

Post by Andrex »

Excellent news.

Please change the entry name of the item labeled
> "Dock with containers and crane" (GRFID=4E440107)

to

> "Dock with containers (ttdur)"

Recently uploaded by me. 8)

Tip of the day: The Upload form in the bananas website should show an additional <label> below each field with a brief description. Specially the Name field, with a label: The display name is permanent and cannot be changed. Do not include version number here. :wink:
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Andrex wrote:(..)
Tip of the day: The Upload form in the bananas website should show an additional <label> below each field with a brief description. Specially the Name field, with a label: The display name is permanent and cannot be changed. Do not include version number here. :wink:
I don't mind suggestions at all (please use http://bugs.openttd.org/ for it though). I do mind the tone you set with "tip of the day". It is needless insulting. Refrain from those comments please, and we can all work together much easier and nicer. tnx!
R2dical
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by R2dical »

Cool! Does this include GS as well?

My Industry Constructor GS has fairly recently had some major feature additions and now the name is no longer really relevant. I did ask about "rebranding" it in the GS thread, and was planning to make a new entry on Bananas but a rename would be much neater and get rid of the redundant version.

So is this possible for GS, with all the naming, version, etc details? If yes:

Old = "Industry Constructor" (version 3)
New = "Map Constructor" (version 3)

Then I will change all the required internal metadata with the new version upload, as well as the thread title.

The other option may be to delete the old one completely...
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

R2dical wrote:Cool! Does this include GS as well?(..)
It does! I will let you know when I will do this bulk of renaming!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Hello! Since you're offering to make changes on BaNaNaS, I was wondering if you could make a consideration for changing licenses?

I have a few uploads that I released under a CC-0 v1 license, but until just now I did not realize that this was available under the license section, so I had always uploaded them a "Custom". I would like to change this so that the actual license is reflected, and all of those files do include the appropriate license.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i don't think you understood how this works.

you have to give a precise list of sets you want changed, and what changes you want to have.

our sysadmin is a very dumb person, you know. he does not recognize "various stuff that i uploaded" as valid description. :p
The_Dude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by The_Dude »

Thanks for the generous offer, TrueBrain.

If I may ask you please to rename these for me:

'Luukland Special Event' (4A530C03) => 'Novapolis Special Event'

'Luukland Trainset'(4A53D0D1) => 'Enhanced Trainset'

'LL basecosts' (4A530881) => 'Altered basecosts'
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:i don't think you understood how this works. you have to give a precise list of sets you want changed, and what changes you want to have. our sysadmin is a very dumb person, you know. he does not recognize "various stuff that i uploaded" as valid description. :p
Our sysadmin (whom you say is very dumb?) asked me to post my general request here for others to consider rather than have to answer individual e-mails.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

kamnet wrote:
Eddi wrote:i don't think you understood how this works. you have to give a precise list of sets you want changed, and what changes you want to have. our sysadmin is a very dumb person, you know. he does not recognize "various stuff that i uploaded" as valid description. :p
Our sysadmin (whom you say is very dumb?) asked me to post my general request here for others to consider rather than have to answer individual e-mails.
His comment still holds; post what you want changed exactly for which files, and we will review it. I guess license changes will be reviewed case by case, depending on how they are added and set at the moment. So yes, please do post which files and all details :)

(PS: the love from Eddi was implied!!)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Since you're doing it case-by-case, makes sense.
  • Pacific Northwest USA Town Names
  • Kentucky Town Names
  • Scott Joplin Anthology
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

"LUnames" -> "Luxembourgish Town Names"

What happens, if i upload a GRF with a different filename, but the same GRF ID ? Is the old version scrapped ?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Phreeze wrote:"LUnames" -> "Luxembourgish Town Names"

What happens, if i upload a GRF with a different filename, but the same GRF ID ? Is the old version scrapped ?
Nothing is ever scrapped. But the new version of the NewGRF must differ in something from the previous one - other than just a renamed file. Uploading existing content another time is not possible and your upload will be rejected. Preferentially you increase your NewGRF's version in the action14 entry / grf block and all will be fine as that modifies the grf and will also tell OpenTTD that it's newer.

On the other hand: such action is quite pointless. People who obtain the grf from Bananas will not see the filename. They will see the name and description as set in the action8 / action14 (grf block) - and that's it. If they go and browse files in their file system they will see a tar archive which contains the grf. But they'll see that filename itself along with readme/license/changelog only if they actually open and extract that archive.

So in summary: there's actually very little reason to rename the file itself for an existing entry. If you prepare a new version anyway - then it's no issue to use another filename, whatever takes your fancy. But that's just as pointless as described above ;)

EDIT: if you - on the other hand - mean also the name which is shown in bananas when you say 'filename', then the answer is also 'no'. for the same reasons as outlined above :)

tl;dr
No. But it doesn't matter.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

I still the old names for my Dock with containers and crane, will these updates be applied in the following days?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Received via e-mail, but I add it here for the sake of keeping the requests in one place.
Hello, I'm korean translator and author of 'Korea Train Set' on BaNaNaS.

Because of my lack of english, the name of newgrf was uploaded wrong in first.
Maybe it sounds familiar to you 'Korean' Train Set, not 'Korea' Train Set. Don't you?

Is it possible to modify the name of Korea Train Set? Only just name.

TELK
Telk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Telk »

I'm TELK that emailed above.

Please change like this:
"Korea Tran Set" (544B5555) => "Korean Train Set"
- OpenTTD/OpenRCT2/Parkitect Korean Translator
- TELKLAND site manager, the korean website of OpenRCT2/OpenTTD (https://telk.kr)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hi

If this offer ever comes to fruition, I'd like to ask for the following name change to the NewGRF with GRFID 415A2077 please:

"Wasteland 0.2.0" -> "Wasteland"

(yes I'm one of those people who put the version in the filename, dunno what I was thinking :P)

I know this is old and I see none of the other requests were done so I'm probably talking to myself here, but I put it here just in case. I would be very grateful for such a fix :mrgreen:

Return to “General OpenTTD”