5000 profitable trains on a single network complete

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

stevetrov
Engineer
Engineer

5000 profitable trains on a single network complete

Post by stevetrov »

I have just finished my latest game where I have 5000 length 3 trains on a 1024x512 map on a single train network. There is a single drop station for each of the 12 primary cargos that are transported. Secondary cargoes are not transported. Every single train makes a profit of at least 10K and the game receives a 1000/1000 performance rating. The network delivers over 70K of cargo per month.

The map was originally generated randomly but I did edit it in the scenario editor because the towns weren't very spread out evenly.

Be warned this game runs very slowly even on my i7 laptop.

The main line is a loop that runs clockwise around the entire map and has 24 lanes (although the network would work with fewer). There are 12 side lines and 12 main line stations (one for each cargo). In general a train will pick up cargo go around the loop, drop off cargo and continue around the loop back to its side line. Some trains take short cuts because otherwise they wouldn't be profitable.

The main line uses a fail safe shift main line merger.

I have zipped the save game because it was too big to attach to this forum directly.

Some of the side lines probably could be better as they do get congested but they work well enough for the purpose of this game.

I would like to thank the devs for making an excellent game and V453000 for Purr and NUTS.

Enjoy
Attachments
Loopy Too FINAL 5000 profitable trains.zip
5000 profitable trains
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: 5000 profitable trains on a single network complete

Post by bokkie »

You might post in cargodist thread and truebrains optimization thread, they have been looking for demanding savegames. The former, if cargodist is applicable on your network.
Tvel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tvel »

I really like how the side lanes are taking all that traffic well.

As all orders are non-stop I turned cargodist on and the game slowed just a little more, but not as i much as i thought. Maybe 5% more cpu. (On a i7 type Xeon)
stevetrov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stevetrov »

Yea probably not a good test for the cargo dist code as there is only one drop per cargo.

I am looking into optimising the code and have some ideas for improvements.

Return to “General OpenTTD”