Another one?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You really think it would be 80% of the work to replicate the Patch? I would think it would be so much easier, because all the code is right there. Like, you don't have to go hunting through the data and memory structures to find the right parameter to tweak. And altering the GUI has gotta be tons simpler.

Of course, easy for me to say, I don't do C, just Java. I'm sure it will happen over time, as this OpenTTD offers much more scope for all the things that were impossible even with the Patch. I bet extra-tall bridges put in an early appearance, for one thing.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

80%! :shock:
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

And altering the GUI has gotta be tons simpler.
Yep just ope GUI.H everything is there!

Also in directory TABLE is all information about objects i think.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

This is big. I think at least the guys from TTU have to stop working on their project, and start working on this. I know plurarity(? - diversity - ) is good, but this is much better!
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

krtaylor wrote:Of course, easy for me to say, I don't do C, just Java. I'm sure it will happen over time, as this OpenTTD offers much more scope for all the things that were impossible even with the Patch. I bet extra-tall bridges put in an early appearance, for one thing.
Certain data structures are still limited of course, but it's now not so difficult to extend these limits. I'm currently trying to figure everything out, so expect to see some new things from me soon.

I've just got the latest source from Ludde, BTW, so I'll be comparing that with my current source and seeing what's different.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

One thing that should happen is that we should try to make things more OO-like and modular. All of those tables should be moved out of the code, and into files that can be edited in some sort of editor.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hmmm, Ludde seems to have started implementing presignal support into his latest build. All the new files, including a new EXE, are at http://openttd.tt-forums.net/.

EDIT: Hmmm, I can't connect to the FTP server. See the new topic I've just (I'm going to) post.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

First I have to say: RESPECT! :shock: What an awesome work!!! It must have taken loads of hours to do that! BTW, who's Ludde? Has he been around here yet?

Well, after quite a number of trying-to-find-words minutes I'm able to close my mouth again. :o Absolutely incredible!

I'm beginning to feel sorry for all the patch makers somehow... it seems their work's going to find an end if OpenTTD will be able to maintain it's position. Well, regardless of what's going to happen: Thank you guys!!!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

apparantly Ludde stopped working on it ages ago and this is Owen releasing it himself. 8)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

With Ludde's permission, of course. Otherwise, it would probably have just sat there for ages and ages...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

until the year 4000, when aliens uncover you comp and play, become addicted and start development on ttd2 :wink:

Who here knows C?

I don't but I can help with scenarios and some graphics.

Im thinking a few 'megarail' type scenarios, where you own an unprofitable company and have to turn it around or something.
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

Why doesn't Ludde come here ?
Mike,
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

That one I'd like to know too. Have we met him yet? Maybe with a different name?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

he stopped working on this ages ago, its just that owen asked him permission since he had a copy and we are now wondered about it all. :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Not that I know of. According to the ScummVM web site, Ludde's real name is Ludvig Strigeus.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Why do you know? Did you know about it? And why didn't Ludde release it officially then?

(A lot of questions, I know, but this makes me really curious now... :) )
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

because eits only 95% finished? :?:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Lord wrote:Why do you know? Did you know about it? And why didn't Ludde release it officially then?
Well, back on the 6th March 2003, I was using ICQ (more specifically Trillian), when a message popped up:
Ludde wrote: Session Start (ICQ - 125455765:[icq number]): Thu Mar 06 17:07:58 2003
[icq number]: hello,
you probably don't know me, but i've been working on reverse engineering ttd for a while.
And it all started from there.
[...]
Ludde: I'd also appreciate if you don't talk about it with people.
Owen Rudge: I won't
Ludde: cause i'd like to remain private at this moment.
[...]
Owen Rudge: How long has it taken you to do all this?
Owen Rudge: I'm imagining quite a while!
Ludde: i started in june
Ludde: i'm also the original author of scummvm, if you've heard about that.
Ludde didn't want to tell anyone about it because of the possible legal implications. As Atari, etc, don't seem to care about TTD any more though, he's decided he will make it public, only he never got around to it, so I offered to do it for him.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Ah, we're getting closer to it, it seems... :D
Ludde is a professional, right?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If he's not then he must be independently wealthy, to know how to do coding at that level and not need to be paid for it.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

Return to “General OpenTTD”