[Base Music] SimCity 2000 Music Set

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

[Base Music] SimCity 2000 Music Set

Post by kamnet »

This set allows you to use the music files from SimCity 2000: Special Edition for Windows. This set only includes the OpenTTD playlist (sc2k.obm) file. It
does NOT include any of the music files from SimCity 2000: Special Edition. The user must legally own a copy of the game in order to use the music.

The set files (sc2k.obm, readme.txt, changelog.txt) are released into the Public Domain and may be freely copied and distributed, as long as they are NOT bundled with the SimCity 2000 music files. The music files are copyright (c) 1993 Maxis Interactive, Inc. and are for personal, non-commercial use only by those who legally own a copy of the game.

The download is available in this topic. And maybe BaNaNaS if I can figure out why it's insisting that it doesn't have an .obm file included.

By mere coincidence, I found that The Register has published a new review of the classic game. Maybe we'll find some newly-interested game players?
Attachments
sc2k-v1.tar
(9 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Base Music] SimCity 2000 Music Set

Post by SquireJames »

Brilliant! I use MP3 versions of the Transport Tycoon songs in Simcity 4. Simcity 2K songs in OTTD is just, great! :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

so... is there a non-legal way of owning things?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Eddi wrote:so... is there a non-legal way of owning things?
Possession is 18/19ths of the law. :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

maybe my terminology is wrong here, they don't exactly teach lawyer-english at school...

i give you that you can "possess" things you don't "own", and you can "own" things that you don't "possess", and "taking possession" may be illegal, but can "owning" by itself be illegal?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

kamnet wrote:And maybe BaNaNaS if I can figure out why it's insisting that it doesn't have an .obm file included.
Regardless of that I don't think that Bananas allows you to upload a music pack that is incomplete. And if it does, you probably shouldn't put it up there, given the required user action.

As for the own/possess discussion I think neither is correct. According to the Free Dictionary, the definition of "to own" is "To have or possess as property". And the definition of "to possess" is, you guessed it, "To have as property; own". An illegal copy is not something that is your property. It's someone else's property that you happened to have stolen. I rest my case that one can have an illegal copy, but cannot own nor possess it. So owning something implies that it's legal, but in this case it doesn't hurt to emphasize that.

But back on topic. I don't have SC2k, so I can't give this a whirl. But if it's music is anything like the style of SC3k (which I both own and have (yes, I have both a legal and an illegal copy of it)) it will fit TTD nicely.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

My selected words are correct, you must legally own a copy of the game. Merely being in your rightful possession is not sufficient. For example, if you borrow the game from your friend or a lending library, or rent the game from a rental service, you have rightful possession, but not legal ownership. I suppose in those cases you could use the music for the time you own the game, but you must delete any copies of that music when you return it to its rightful owner. That would be sort of a PITA.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Eddi wrote:lawyer-english
I think what you mean here is "pretend-internet-lawyer-english". :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”