Openttd for iPad in us

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Brumi
President
President

Re: Openttd for iPad in us

Post by Brumi »

iTunes wrote:[...] an isometric view in 2D with graphics by Simon Foster [...]
The funny thing is that some old version of OpenGFX is shown in the pictures. Not sure about those weird shades of blue...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

probably a palette f?!#up...
Last edited by WWTBAM on 20 Jul 2013 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited swearing out
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: OpenTTD for iPad in US

Post by trainman1432 »

Pingaware wrote:There seems to be a version here. However it's not free which is against GPL. Devs, do you know about this?

completly close to ttd
Jetrain
YATTC
Pingaware
Director
Director

Re: OpenTTD for iPad in US

Post by Pingaware »

Rubidium wrote:
Pingaware wrote:However it's not free which is against GPL.
That is not true. You may ask money for a GPL application. However, it must be accompanied by the source code or a written offer (valid for at least 3 years) for getting said source code. If neither is fulfilled it is against the GPL. The mere act of asking money for it is not; the license even mentions certain cases where you may ask money explicitly.
Oops, my bad. Thanks for correcting me Rubidium! :)
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

news flash!! :o

transport tycoon comes to mobile!!! :D

The game came out last october and is $6.99 on Play and the App Store

The game is published by 31x limited.
Jetrain
YATTC
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

trainman1432 wrote:news flash!! :o

Yes thanks, we knew that. There's been a subforum about it for three months now. :roll:

It's also completely offtopic for this thread and subforum; Transport Tycoon (mobile) is not OpenTTD.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

FLHerne wrote:

Yes thanks, we knew that. There's been a subforum about it for three months now. :roll:

It's also completely offtopic for this thread and subforum; Transport Tycoon (mobile) is not OpenTTD.
Ahem... OpenTTD i believe came from the classic TTD, which came on a CD.

And the Open- extension means it means it's free.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Jetrain
YATTC
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

trainman1432 wrote:
FLHerne wrote:

Ahem... OpenTTD i believe came from the classic TTD, which came on a CD.

And the Open- extension means it means it's free.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
You're wrong. :P

OpenTTD was written to emulate the original TTD's behaviour (and now go beyond that), but isn't derived from it or directly related to it in any way. It's not developed or supported by Microprose or 31x.

The new 31x mobile TT game would appear to be derived from Locomotion if anything, uses little from the original TTD but the name and general gameplay, and has no relation to OpenTTD whatsoever beyond the ideas that both borrowed from the original.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
krinn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by krinn »

And written offer doesn't mean written on a paper.
The key is having a free access to an offer to get source, if you only provide the offer thru a binary that isn't free to download, this doesn't met the requirements. But it seems the download is free (not my language but that's what Gratis Download should mean)

This is how vlc solve the problem: provide free binary on itunes and provide link to source : http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 2.2.tar.gz

So that transport business might be ok with openttd gpl

But that transport business seems to run with ttd graphic (screenshot@apple site), and if it doesn't have grant/pay license for the ttd graphics might infringe owner of the ttd graphics license.

So even provide as free download, with a written offer to get source code (by postal, download...), still the ttd graphic license might be a problem.

It's no more than the same reason why openttd isn't ship with original ttd graphic but opengfx.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that is a big pile of nonsense.

"written offer" does mean "on a piece of paper". that's why there is a specific exception for downloads in the license.

and GPL does not forbid selling the program, just everybody who bought the program can then get the source code, and this source code download cost may not exceed the cost of providing the service. and they can also pass it along for free.
krinn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by krinn »

I'm not saying you cannot sell the program as you wish.

But you cannot restrict access to the source, nor you could restrict the access to the offer to get the source. And hiding the offer is restricting it.
So if you have to pay to download the binary, and the written offer is only put with the binary, you are restricting the written offer, and so restricting the distribution of the source. And a guy that cannot pay the binary cannot see the written offer.

And the written offer can be wrote on rock if you wish, as long as you provide the rock...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

again, you are totally wrong here. the "written offer" (or equivalent download) is only valid for people who got the binary first, as then and only then they are a valid licensee. you only have to give out the source to people who licensed the binary from you. not any random person. (including sub-licensees. if someone passes on the software, that person is responsible for providing the source to them, not you)

as to the rock, yes. but it must be a physical object (or something legally equivalent). not an electronic one.

Return to “General OpenTTD”