infulence map generation ?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Engineer
Engineer

infulence map generation ?

Post by 2457 »

I would like to make a proper map for me and my friends for playing ottd.
the idea would be to make trucks / industrial trams to collect resources, and transfer them to larger rail stations.
Thisway we can reduce the number of stations used, and hopefully the number of trains too. or at least have a more efficient network.

anyways, the question is, is there a way to force the map generator to put identical indusrties close to eatch other?
I do not mean to group all the forests to a single spot, but I do mean to have them close to eatch other enough to make tranfer networks worthy.

Allso, is there a way to make the industries be generated closer to the towns?
if there is a say.. larger map with only 2 towns far apart, industrys that belongs to one of the towns shouuld be closer to that town, opposed to as now, as industries are spread out on the whole map.
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: infulence map generation ?

Post by romazoon »

Hi there, i will try to answer your question.
2457 wrote:anyways, the question is, is there a way to force the map generator to put identical indusrties close to eatch other?
2457 wrote:is there a way to make the industries be generated closer to the towns?
i believe you canno t force any placement, some industries newgrf might give a parameter of distance from coast but that s not creating clouds of similar industries, some other will also only allow placement of industries near or far from a city center (i think FIRS and ECS have those settings)... but that s not helping much your problem....
unless you take your map to a scenario editor where you will allow similar industries to be built in the same town area (advanced option --> industry)... Make sure to set newgrfs industry parameters so that the industries do not disapear before you have time to serve them all. (manual industry new grf is your friend if you plan to play with the original cargos)

if your not willing to edit a scenario, you can still allow similar industry in one town, set numbers of industries to a high value and hope for luck that cluster of similar industries appear in a randomly fashion and some will be surely near some of your few towns ;)

hope it helps.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Another solution is to create a map without industries and write a Game Script that builds industries.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

how i do that, and what i need for that?
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

You need a text editor and knowledge about proggramming or motivation enough to learn to program. Apart from that the API docs and the wiki contains details on how to program scripts for OpenTTD on a level suitable for those who know proggramming.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

hmm..
this is quite near equal to "never gona happen"-

but thanx anyways.
its way too complex for me, and i do not see any reason for someone else to attempt it.
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

It means that it need someone who knows programming to be involved in the solution. However that someone can be anyone in the community who writes the script and upload it to bananas. That beeing said, eqally or even more important is an idea about which strategy that the script should use when building the industries.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

probably the script should use a hegihtmap, then place a number of towns (configurable number) then based on amount of industrys settings place industries. non-primary industry should be placed as normal.
primary industry should be placed to make sure that say.. coal mine and powerplant are not close to eatch other.
other than that there should be a setting, with 2 variables. 1 would set the minimum of how many primary industry should be in a cluster, the other would specify the maximum in a cluster.
so the final result would be suitable for truck transfer to rail network. or prehaps -if there was a set with higher speed versions- industrial trams.
a nother usefull setting was how many tiles to leave around industries in the cluster.
this strategy part is not that hard to figure out.
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Zuu wrote:Another solution is to create a map without industries and write a Game Script that builds industries.
Done this, with "manual industry" newgrf, but unfortunately, every industry created by the game script is vanishing after some time,
in contrary to those build in scenario editor - these are permanent.
Is it possible to fix it (without involving "industry stabilizer" script)?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

2457 wrote:anyways, the question is, is there a way to force the map generator to put identical indusrties close to eatch other?
I do not mean to group all the forests to a single spot, but I do mean to have them close to eatch other enough to make tranfer networks worthy
The FIRS Industry set will regularly lump a cluster of the same industries together.

Return to “General OpenTTD”