city growing

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sss
Engineer
Engineer

city growing

Post by sss »

So, if you grow citys, how fast do you grow them?
i grew mine from 1500 pop. to 20000 pop.
heres some screenshots:
the city starting to grow:
now at 21000 pop.
:D
how fast do you grow your citys?
and whats ur methhod?
PS: my method is to make a small route around the town then fuel it with some town cars from the town cars mod
and then supplie it with some goods and then just add more roads stations and airports.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: city growing

Post by Yexo »

Make sure you have 5 stations that are visited by a vehicle at least every 50 days. The rest doesn't matter.
Edd.Dragon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Edd.Dragon »

sss wrote:how fast do you grow your citys?
"Town grows every 4-6 days".
With funding of the new buildinfs - 2 days.
Cities covered by 4 stations and served by 10-20 buses (each city).

Cities with 2600-2800 pop. in 1960th grows to 25000-30000 in 1968th.
No goods and no valuables transfered.

In OTTD 1.1.4 I need at least 20 years for growing to 20000. Or (maybe) used to few buses...
kmile
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kmile »

I grew a city from 300 to 20.000 population just by extending the roads and creating a grid of 5-8 bus stations connecting to a single train station. Every year or so I fund new buildings. This grows the city rapidly, but I don't have screenshots unfortunately.
Dragon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dragon »

I like to take a small town, somewhere in the middle of nowhere and grow that to the main capital. This way I can implement a wannabe-metro train line. In my current game i've grown the city from almost nothing to around 1.5million people (and still growing towards the pre-designed edges). It does take awhile do.... 8)

Makes me wonder, maybe should i make some pictures, but i'm afraid i'm not nearly as good in building trainsystems than you guy's.
'Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe who's trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.'
Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
Sven925
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sven925 »

What GRF sets are you using for these?
And any AI competition?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Dragon wrote:but i'm afraid i'm not nearly as good in building trainsystems than you guy's.
Don't worry about that. In the worst case you'll get some suggestions on how to improve yours :wink:
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

Sven925 wrote:What GRF sets are you using for these?
And any AI competition?
lets see, town cars eyecandy, a mod that makes you able to build any amount of airports you like, and a mod that adds eyecandy emergency RVs.
and yes ai compitetion, its just that i bought them all out :P
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

kmile wrote:I grew a city from 300 to 20.000 population just by extending the roads and creating a grid of 5-8 bus stations connecting to a single train station. Every year or so I fund new buildings. This grows the city rapidly, but I don't have screenshots unfortunately.
just go into the ? button on the menubar.
then click on screen shot, then go to tinypic.com and upload it to it.
(PS: your pics are found in My doucuments/openttd
hope this helps.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Better attach screen shots directly to this forum. This forum keeps data much longer than most image hosting sites.
Also, there is a separate 'screenshots' section that you may want to use instead of posting here, if you post a lot of shots.
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

lets see...

and from far away...

it's growing everyday, it started as an incredibly small island with roughly 1500 population and i just built a ferry route, and buss rout at first and bought land for the airport.

other than though it's just regular growth i guess.
Sven925
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sven925 »

What are you feeding that thing fertilizer? lol
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

just lots and lots of throughput of passengers, also i started in 1980 which helps but the sheer amount of money flowing in from that ones point alone is madness, i have since routed the rail Mainline into the city to take stress off the airport.
Sven925
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sven925 »

Any special GRF's you like in particular?
I ask because i just found this a couple weeks ago
and am LOVING it!
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

all sorts really, that game was my first using the Japan set and the associated graphics that go along with it, other than that it's FIRS and AV8 pack for that game in particular (i do use custom station GRF's as well)

In fact, here is the list of what is in use in that game.

FISH helped very much in getting me started (began as a hydrofoil ferry company)
ez8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ez8 »

When I'm playing a big map, I usually will go in to a town and set up a bus route that has five stations just to get the town to grow a little more before I set up rail. This way, the bus stations already have a base of customers waiting to be transferred to my rail station when I inevitably roll in a train station. By the time I get there, the town has grown quite a bit and is ready to accept goods, usually has a bank, and base of waiting customers begging to be transported.

It's like an advanced guard of Bolshevik agitators sent in to rile up the proletariat for a Communist revolution.
=============
M.F. Jones
President
Mogul Enterprises

Please consider the environment: Print this forum post immediately. And then burn it.
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

Hitperson wrote:lets see...

and from far away...

it's growing everyday, it started as an incredibly small island with roughly 1500 population and i just built a ferry route, and buss rout at first and bought land for the airport.

other than though it's just regular growth i guess.
0_0 WOW. howd u make it so that the planes were blue with red engines and all thoose building textures?
and dam you have A LOT of GRFS
EDIT: just saw the japenese so its part of one of the japenese mods.
also what the heck is FISH?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

sss wrote: 0_0 WOW. howd u make it so that the planes were blue with red engines and all thoose building textures?
You can set the liveries of different vehicles separately. The AV8 aircraft set has dual company colours. See http://wiki.openttd.org/Company_Colours

FISH is only the best NewGRF for ships and other watercraft in existence. If you like to use ships in your games, FISH is a must. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 35&start=0

By the way, here's one of my largest cities. The main reason it grew so large is because it is situated on an oasis in a large desert so it doesn't need food or water to grow, and there was nothing in the way to stop it from sprawling out. The biggest obstacle is the map edge :P
Trainforest, 2673-05-05#1.png
(647.02 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
ETC Enterprises
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ETC Enterprises »

I have a game going currently that has one city with a 2,000,000 population and a second with 1,300,000+. total population is 10.6 million.
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

Emperor Jake wrote:
sss wrote: 0_0 WOW. howd u make it so that the planes were blue with red engines and all thoose building textures?
You can set the liveries of different vehicles separately. The AV8 aircraft set has dual company colours. See http://wiki.openttd.org/Company_Colours

FISH is only the best NewGRF for ships and other watercraft in existence. If you like to use ships in your games, FISH is a must. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 35&start=0

By the way, here's one of my largest cities. The main reason it grew so large is because it is situated on an oasis in a large desert so it doesn't need food or water to grow, and there was nothing in the way to stop it from sprawling out. The biggest obstacle is the map edge :P
Trainforest, 2673-05-05#1.png
Nice.
also Yeah now i know about the company colours stuff.
i have Av8 and the 2cc tram set.

Return to “General OpenTTD”