Swedish translation (of OpenTTD)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Swedish translation (of OpenTTD)

Post by Zuu »

This topic is mainly aimed at people who reads/understands Swedish. However, since this is a English only forum, all discussions must be held in English except for mentioning literal strings in Swedish.

Question: How should we handle the AI/Game Script button at the main menu? Should we try to shorten it to shrink the width of the main menu window or keep the long text and live with a rather wide main window?

English string: AI/Game Script settings
Current translation: Inställningar för datorspelare/spelskript

A few alternative translations:
  • Inställningar för AI/spelskript
  • Välj datorspelare/spelskript
  • datorspelare/spelskript
Do you have any other suggestions or opinions?
Attachments
screenshot#6.png
screenshot#6.png (73.64 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Swedish translation (of OpenTTD)

Post by AndersI »

I'd suggest "Inställningar för AI/skript" - I think AI is an accepted short form, even in Swedish, and the scripts are of course for the game, so no need to elaborate.

As a side note, I'd suggest "Scenarioeditor" - one word, not two, "Kontrollera online-innehåll" and "Inställningar för NewGRF".

What's the difference between "Spela" and "Kör" ("Spela scenario", "Kör höjdkarta")? Shouldn't "Kör" be "Ladda"?

Also, "Spelinställningar" might perhaps better be expressed "Inställningar" or "Inställningar för spelet".
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

AndersI wrote:I'd suggest "Inställningar för AI/skript" - I think AI is an accepted short form, even in Swedish, and the scripts are of course for the game, so no need to elaborate.
I've gone ahead and made this change in the translator so we'll see how it looks tomorrow.
AndersI wrote:What's the difference between "Spela" and "Kör" ("Spela scenario", "Kör höjdkarta")? Shouldn't "Kör" be "Ladda"?
Good point, I've changed "Kör" to "Ladda".
Edit: Actually, I think "Spela" is better, as clicking on the button creates a new game. The original English string is "Play Heightmap"

But, what about just dropping the settings part of NewGRF settings and AI / GameScript settings? After all, for difficulty we don't have settings in the label.

That would give:
  • Inställningar
  • Avancerade inställningar <- here I think we still need "inställningar" to make it clear, although an alternative could be
  • Kontrollera online-innehåll
  • Svårighetsgrad ({LEVEL})
  • NewGRF
  • Datorspelare / spelskript
Not too long labels, and I think it is probably clear enough?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Looks OK to me, but you should test the texts on someone who doesn't know OpenTTD (yet).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Today a user called tobjork made 48 changes. Most of them look all good. I have two things that I disagree with though:

The first thing is this string:
english wrote:{ORANGE}{CARGO_TINY} / {CARGO_LONG}{RED} (still required)
new swedish text wrote:{ORANGE}{CARGO_TINY} / {CARGO_LONG}{RED} (återstår)
The numbers that are shown in this string are as far as I know how much you have delivered compared to the goal last month. Thus, they doesn't say how much cargo that is still required. What it says is that this whole requirement has not been satisfied. Since town goals set a minimum amount of cargo do be delivered per month, the delivered number is reset to zero each month.

I propose changing "återstår" to "ej uppfyllt kriterium" (which translates back to English as "not fulfilled requirement")

My second comment is on the use of "frakt" or "gods". In OpenTTD it is useful to have one concept of freight transport and another term for the cargo type goods. As far as I'm aware, the Swedish translation uses "frakt" for freight transport and "gods" for both the cargo type goods and for the term "cargo type". Thus, I suggest to not using "gods" in the meaning of freight in this string:
{BLACK}Bygg godsspårvagnsstation. Ctrl aktiverar sammansättning av stationer. Shift växlar mellan att bygga/visa beräknad kostnad
That would revert "godsspårvagnsstation" to "fraktspårvagnsstation".
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Zuu wrote:The first thing is this string:
english wrote:{ORANGE}{CARGO_TINY} / {CARGO_LONG}{RED} (still required)
new swedish text wrote:{ORANGE}{CARGO_TINY} / {CARGO_LONG}{RED} (återstår)
I propose changing "återstår" to "ej uppfyllt kriterium" (which translates back to English as "not fulfilled requirement")
I would suggest
new swedish text wrote:{ORANGE}{CARGO_TINY} / {CARGO_LONG}{RED} (behöver levereras)
or
new swedish text wrote:{ORANGE}{CARGO_TINY} / (ytterligare {CARGO_LONG}{RED} behöver levereras)
(That's "{...} (need to be delivered)" or "(Another {...} need to be delivered)" (I don't know if the second scheme is possible).

I'm with you on the Gods/Frakt thing.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, that is possible (i have no idea whether it is correct though, i have not observed these strings ingame, nor do i understand swedish :) )
Joel A
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Joel A »

It's good to see there's a thread of this kind. I saw the Spanish one and found it a great idea and thought about starting one for Swedish, but you already have. :)

For a couple of weeks now I've had the ambition to help bring the count of untranslated strings down to zero, but now there's three left and I'm stuck, so please give me a hand:

Code: Select all

Percentage of leg profit to pay in feeder systems: {STRING}
Percentage of income given to the intermediate legs in feeder systems, giving more control over the income
I'm not familiar enough with the vernacular to come up with good translations of these ones, even though I understand what they mean

{ENGINE} when old
This looks like an easy one, but I don't understand the context. Is {ENGINE} the model name of an engine? In that "X when old" doesn't make a lot of sense. :?
Note to self: Jag har bidragit till den svenska översättningen av OTTD, FIRS och Supercheese's Eyecandy Road Vehicles.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Joel A wrote:so please give me a hand:
Hi Joel A,
I don't speak Swedish, but I can provide some context for you.
Joel A wrote:

Percentage of leg profit to pay in feeder systems: {STRING}
Percentage of income given to the intermediate legs in feeder systems, giving more control over the income
I'm not familiar enough with the vernacular to come up with good translations of these ones, even though I understand what they mean
These are used in feeder systems. In such systems, you don't transport the cargo from source to goal directly, you do it in several 'legs' instead. At each leg, you load the cargo from one station, move to another station, and transfer the cargo there (which is then the starting point of the next leg).
For example from oil rig by ship to dry land, then by train to the refinery.
At each of these leg some money is made (since you move the cargo). Sometimes a single leg gets paid too much (the program does not know where the cargo will go to, and does a as good as possible guess). When the cargo reaches the final destination, the end calculation is done, which means the vehicle of the last leg gets paid less, and can even become negative.
People don't like that, so the setting that uses those strings reduces payment of of the intermediate legs to some percentage (eg 75%). In that way, the intermediate legs get less paid, so the end calculation results in a positive number.
Joel A wrote:

{ENGINE} when old
This looks like an easy one, but I don't understand the context. Is {ENGINE} the model name of an engine? In that "X when old" doesn't make a lot of sense. :?
Yep.
It is used to show when an engine is (auto)replaced. Choices are 'now' (during the next service), and 'when old' (ie at end of the engine life time).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hi, I've a request to add genders to the Swedish translation, and I'll happily add that:
Joel wrote:Hello!
Something that's always been missing from the Swedish translation of OpenTTD is correct gender forms. One of my goals of becoming a translator was to correct this, but I find that I don't have the authority to change it in the Swedish language settings despite being an editor (and perhaps that's for the better). Thus I request that utrum and neutrum be added as grammatical genders (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_grammar#Nouns for reference), or perhaps rather shortened to u and n respectively.

Thanks in advance!
Now, I got feedback from Zuu that he'd rather have them named a bit less formal:
Zuu wrote:Yes, the proposed naming uses possible more academically correct wordings, but I had to use google to figure out what they ment. An alternative is to use perhaps formally incorect but easier terms. Eg the two different words that are used for "a/an" in Swedish that is the consequence of the proposed genders. Instead of utrum/neutrum it could say en/ett in WT. But its probably good to either involv tt-forums or the translator who proposed utrum/neutrum before going for my alternative suggestion.
At the same time I'd like to ask whether a 'hack' like in the German translation would help, too: there the plural form is indicated as separate gender (as it's the same for all genders). This is then used in cases like
STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_PLANTED :{BIG_FONT}{BLACK}Neue{G r "" s ""} {STRING} {G 0 wird wird wird werden} nahe {TOWN} angepflanzt!
for male, female, neuter and plural versions of the string

What's the general idea and opinion of our Swedish community out here?

Cheers,
planetmaker
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

A frequently occuring spelling error is the swedish word for "required", which is translated as "nödvändlig". The correct spelling is "nödvändig-t". Although I think "kräv-s" would be a much better word (I would say "nödvändig-t" roughly means "necessary".
Joel A
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Joel A »

planetmaker wrote:Now, I got feedback from Zuu that he'd rather have them named a bit less formal:
Zuu wrote:Yes, the proposed naming uses possible more academically correct wordings, but I had to use google to figure out what they ment. An alternative is to use perhaps formally incorect but easier terms. Eg the two different words that are used for "a/an" in Swedish that is the consequence of the proposed genders. Instead of utrum/neutrum it could say en/ett in WT. But its probably good to either involv tt-forums or the translator who proposed utrum/neutrum before going for my alternative suggestion.
I used the formal grammatical names, just like one might refer to a specific plant, animal or part of the human anatomy in Latin to pinpoint what is being referred to, but Zuu definitely has a point. Whatever is easiest to understand would be the best, in my opinion. But the question remains, what should they be called?
planetmaker wrote:At the same time I'd like to ask whether a 'hack' like in the German translation would help, too: there the plural form is indicated as separate gender (as it's the same for all genders). This is then used in cases like
STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_PLANTED :{BIG_FONT}{BLACK}Neue{G r "" s ""} {STRING} {G 0 wird wird wird werden} nahe {TOWN} angepflanzt!
Is there really a need for a special 'hack' for this even in German? I mean, there's already a setting for number of plural forms, and singular or plural changes verbs in the same way in English as well, doesn't it? (I blame any misunderstanding on my part on the withering state of my knowledge of the German language... ;))
Note to self: Jag har bidragit till den svenska översättningen av OTTD, FIRS och Supercheese's Eyecandy Road Vehicles.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, there is a need for this, since the "plural form" is only invoked where numbers are involved: "{NUM} {P Passenger Passengers}" will result in "0 Passengers", "1 Passenger", "2 Passengers", etc.

but with e.g. industry names, there is no number, only the name. so "oil wells" must invoke plural form where "steel mill" does not. you cannot do "{INDUSTRY} {P is are} founded near {TOWN}", because "{INDUSTRY}" is not a number, that's why you need to use "{G is are}" in this place.
TERdON
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TERdON »

Sounds great! Those grammar problems have bugged me too. If I get the time (instead of procrastinating by playing...) I might try to do a translation review. There are other odd things that I have seen too over the time. :-)
Joel A
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Joel A »

Ah, yeah, I should have thought of that... Thanks for clearing it up Eddi! :)
planetmaker wrote:At the same time I'd like to ask whether a 'hack' like in the German translation would help, too: there the plural form is indicated as separate gender (as it's the same for all genders). This is then used in cases like
Unless this is another case of me not reading or thinking things through enough, I'd say there's no need for such a hack in Swedish then planetmaker; unlike in your German example, the verb does not change, regardless of number of nouns, in Swedish.
TERdON wrote:Sounds great! Those grammar problems have bugged me too. If I get the time (instead of procrastinating by playing...) I might try to do a translation review. There are other odd things that I have seen too over the time. :-)
It's great to hear I'm not alone in being bugged by poor grammar! (Although it feels like a curse at times...) :D I'm constantly on the hunt for linguistic creases to iron out among the OTTD strings, so if you don't have the time or the urge to do it yourself, feel free to discuss any issue here!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I just had a look and noticed that both "town" and "city" is translated to the same Swedish word "stad".

It would be wrong to degrade the "town" translation to "by". So it would be possible easier to change the "city" translation. A not so good solution is to use the word "storstad" as that somewhat claims that all cities are among the largest towns in the game. Perhaps a better word conceptually is "centralort" however that may be a bit bureaucratic and not really an every day word.

Still, I think using "centralort" is better than using the same translation for both. It may work fine in the local authority window, however it becomes problematic when you want to refer to one of the two concepts in other places. Eg. in the help texts of a game script.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the german translation uses "Stadt" for "town" and "Großstadt" for "city" (the real world classifications are "Stadt": anything above 5000 inhabitants, "Großstadt": anything above 100000 inhabitants. but "Stadt" is often historically derived, so there may be places with less than 5000 inhabitants which have this title)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Previously, we had "stad" and "köping" in Sweden where "stad" were those that actually had been given "town rights", and the rest were just "köping". Nowadays we only have "kommun", and "stad" is just a decoration...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'd personally prefer the definitions "stad" and "storstad". As mentioned above, it seems to be the way the Germans did it.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't speak Swedish, but if people are familiar with köping and still understand it, it might be nice. How long since it has been out of use? Since the game often starts in the past, it might be a nice resolution to the problem. Or how about "store stad" instead of "storstad"? Would that sound more natural?

Return to “General OpenTTD”