openTTD 1.0.5 editer needed

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Peterisgb
Engineer
Engineer

openTTD 1.0.5 editer needed

Post by Peterisgb »

i have read the editor stuff on here and its all way to confusing. is it cos peps dont want new editers or anything, well i first started playing tt in 1996 on the PS1, loved the game, then i moved onto pc untill i came to here, i seen to many people making there own grf files, but its not clear how to, what i want to do it make a new bus station 5/6x 10 grid one liek the pic here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=51925 so basically, put a clear info on programs that can help me do this or clear intructions, i tried notepad, gibberisgb i tried the grfcodec and grfdiff and grfmerge, but this seems only for the orignal and does NOT work on my pc so can i get some help, if i can get clear intructions on how to do this anything and everything i do will be posted up here, i play this game all day long and am buzzing with ideas to make this game better, thanks
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: openTTD 1.0.5 editer needed

Post by planetmaker »

I've tried to read your posting but it proved very difficult due to very lengthy sentences without any stop and without any formatting within the posting at all which kind of disguises to me your real problem but in any case all those tools you mention are available for all major platforms and designed to work with every OS you likely might have even though they are not designed to work with a GUI interface and require you to make use of a command line interface which in case of windows is called command prompt or cmd; for further info please read up on the developement graphics development section and prior to that better clarify a bit more of what your problem is in the first place, thank you. And no, one cannot make a newgrf which caters for a multi-tile bus station.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I have trouble understanding you.

Partly because you use netspeak "cos", "peps". (I can somewhat guess what it means, but please write normal english sentences. Many people here are not that good in english, and if you combine that with netspeak in a technical discussion, you just confuse everybody.)

Another part of my troubles is that it is not entirely clear what you mean. You speak of an editor for 1.0.5, yet you mention grfcodec & friends, which are NewGRF programs, which work for many more programs than just OpenTTD 1.0.5.
Also their purpose is different. NewGRF tools are tools for building game extensions in general, not just for a single game. (for example a vehicle set, or an industry set.)
You are aware of this difference?

I can imagine you cannot use the tools you mention immediately, they work a little differently. However, as far as I know they do work.
One tool I was missing in your list is NML, which may be more useful to you.

If you do mean to create NewGRFs rather than have an editor for the OpenTTD program, then the General OpenTTD forum is not the right place for your question, you better ask a moderator to move this thread to the Graphics Development forum (the '!' button at the right of each post).

Finally, as I suspected already (thank you planetmaker for answering that while I wrote this post), you cannot make bus stations like you described now.

If you want to discuss this further you are welcome at the #openttd irc channel, where many people know a thing or two about openttd and newgrfs.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Peterisgb wrote: [...] gibberisgb i tried the grfcodec and grfdiff and grfmerge, but this seems only for the orignal and does NOT work on my pc so can i get some help, if i can get clear intructions on how to do this anything and everything i do will be posted up here, i play this game all day long and am buzzing with ideas to make this game better, thanks
Did you already think about posting it somewhere else?

Thanks as well
Michael
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Do you recognize the feeling where the attitude of someone offends you and drastically decreases your desire to help?

Peterisgb, please improve the friendliness of your requests and use normal English (as suggested by planetmaker). It will yield better answers for you.
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

The bus station you've pointed to was made using the standard bus station and road tiles available in game. Here are a couple of examples.
Frontston Transport, 18th May 1941.png
Frontston Transport, 18th May 1941.png (35.61 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
-edit-

Looking at the picture you posted at full size the best way of increasing throughput is to separate out the Cargo and Passenger drive through stops.
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Remove the one-way-ness of the right one and you can improve the maximum throughput of the station. Road vehicles don't collide in road crossings in TTD.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

Looks "prettier" though. And a bit more like the OP's example bus station. :mrgreen:
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
Peterisgb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peterisgb »

well one way bus stations are easier for me as i watch the buses leaving and coming into the bus stations as i make sure they are making money before i move onto the new one, at the moment i am using a one way bus stations but idealy i would like the idea of making a custom staion, here is something like what i mean..
something like this but that can just be put down instead of having to build it,
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Peterisgb wrote:something like this but that can just be put down instead of having to build it,
Sounds like you need the copy and paste patch ( http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 59&start=0 )...
Peterisgb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peterisgb »

i dont understand any of that, downloaded it but dunno how to put it in etc and does it support 1.0.5
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

That requires you to build your own version of OTTD, it may be easier for you to download a patched binary such as Chill's patchpack from here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=47622
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Peterisgb wrote:i dont understand any of that, downloaded it but dunno how to put it in etc and does it support 1.0.5
As soon as you apply _any_ patch, it's not 1.0.5 nor any other official version. Whether or not you can load trunk savegames, depends on the patch. Often you cannot load the savegames with any other version than this very version which was compiled with that patch. Thus any updates most likely render your savegames made with a patched version obsolete (I know, there are exceptions to this rule, but...)

Return to “General OpenTTD”