Signal Tutorial for OpenTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

domsson
Engineer
Engineer

Signal Tutorial for OpenTTD

Post by domsson »

Hey there!

About a year ago, I was quite confused by all the new and old signals in OpenTTD. So I started to look for a nice and clean tutorial/explanation on it, but couldn't manage to find one. The best source around seemed to be the OpenTTD wiki. Because of this, I started to write a Tutorial for myself. When I was finished, I realised that it was quite useful, so I published it on my website.

Today, I found the time to have a look at my website stats and was quite amazed that the tutorial has genereated much more traffic than I assumed. It seems that a lot of people think this is a useful article. Since I got a little time on my hand, I tried to translate it into english, so more people can make use of it.

I just finished the translation - but I'm not sure whether my english is correct troughout the whole article. Especially when it comes to some technical terms, for example "signal block", I'm wondering if I used the right ones. So: If someone finds any mistakes - just point them out. I'd like to get that clean. :)

Here you go: http://kokolokus.de/?s=blog&v=6

Of course, any other suggestions and comments are welcome.
Thanks! :)
kamnet

Re: Signal Tutorial for OpenTTD

Post by kamnet »

Perhaps you should take a crack at editing the wiki as well?
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

kamnet wrote:Perhaps you should take a crack at editing the wiki as well?
Please do! :mrgreen:
Well done, looks pretty awesome
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

It is more than just looking cool :)
It's a very well done and comprehensive tutorial.
COngrats
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I was enlightened by this tutorial. Excellent work, sir! :D
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

i added a link to your page on the wiki (here) but by all means edit the page itself
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
TERdON
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TERdON »

That's a very nice tutorial. Since you were unsure about language, I do have one comment though (although I'm also not a native speaker, so this may not be the only lapsus to be found). There is a severe case of denglish, in that you refer to trains as "he", "his", "him", etc. You don't do that in English - "it", "its" and "it" respectively would be a lot better! :-)
domsson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by domsson »

Thanks for your compliments! It's great to hear you like it. :)

Also, it's great that the translation seems to be good enough to really help people at understanding signals.
Special thanks to TERdON for pointing out one deficite. I'll try to fix that next week!

Regarding the wiki: that's a nice explanation itself (while still being different), isn't it? If I'd alter that, it would probably be very similar to my tutorial in the end. Or is that what you'd suggest?

So long! :)
Tyr Antilles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tyr Antilles »

Awesome tutorial. I was struggling with the signals for a long time already, but your tutorial made them clear.
domsson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by domsson »

FYI: I just found the time to update the article according to the advices by Tyr Antilles an 3iff - thanks to both of you. I hope the language is fine now. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”