Scale in Kilometres (open ttd)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Scale in Kilometres (open ttd)

Post by Amandom »

Personally, I'd like something as simple as diagonal roads. I'm not too concerned about proportion - maybe someone out there is working on something like that from scratch?
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Amandom wrote:Personally, I'd like something as simple as diagonal roads. I'm not too concerned about proportion - maybe someone out there is working on something like that from scratch?
Diagonal road are not simple - try to prepare method of construction, even it is complicated.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

Kogut wrote:
Amandom wrote:Personally, I'd like something as simple as diagonal roads. I'm not too concerned about proportion - maybe someone out there is working on something like that from scratch?
Diagonal road are not simple - try to prepare method of construction, even it is complicated.

Oh, I just figured diagonal tracks - roads, no difference
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

If i can add my 2p, just to be a pain :)

instead of looking at the theory of everything has a different scale, why not play the game and see where length is mentioned in metres/kilometres, in order to try and help the OP out with a usable answer?

The only visible distance i can see in game is the height of a tile, which is 25m. now i think it would be fair to answer the OP by letting them know, based on the tile size, how wide a tile is?

on a very rough guess a tile is 100-150m wide, if someone has the exact math i think it would be helpful

on a side note it would probably be helpful to either do the dragging tool tips in tiles, or metres, not a combination as presently.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

csuke wrote: The only visible distance i can see in game is the height of a tile, which is 25m.
That would be 50 metres to be correct. ;)
For a while the scale in the smallmap height legend displayed this incorrectly as 25m but this has been corrected. Can not remember in what revision exactly for the moment.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

r19767

Code: Select all

-Fix [FS#3808]: Height in smallmap was different from measured heights (ChillCore).
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

^^ That's the one. :)

That reminds me ...
I still have not experimented with making the number of height legend entries configurable by the user.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

the tooltip for drag and drop construction still says it's 25m
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

csuke wrote:the tooltip for drag and drop construction still says it's 25m
Then you're likely not using trunk with a revision higher or equal to the before mentioned revision but e.g. 1.0.5, which doesn't contain that trunk revision.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I like to assume that the buildings are to scale, while the distances between towns/vehicle sizes/speeds are arbitrary.

It makes more sense in my head that way, anyway.
Jon
Elukka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elukka »

In all likelihood the scale of the game was just winged. If it looks good, plays good, then that's the way it is. I doubt the developers ever seriously considered the interplay between the various scales, or how large a tile is.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

if you want scale, have a look at flightgear, that's got a scale copy of the world (to a certain degree) - i.e. flying from Frankfurt to London Heathrow really takes about one hour;-)

Return to “General OpenTTD”