Scale in Kilometres (open ttd)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Scale in Kilometres (open ttd)

Post by Amandom »

Hi everyone - I've searched and am unable to find reference to my question, that being: how many squares would equal 1km?

All help appreciated.

Amanda
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Scale in Kilometres (open ttd)

Post by planetmaker »

100, if you go by houses, 500 if you go by cars, 10 if you go by typical train length, 5 if you go by the size of the largest oil tanker ship, 1 ... 100 if you go by the distance between towns, something else if you go by the vehicle speeds, and that depends on the direction. Oh, and yes, it varies by a factor of 10 in each of those categories.

EDIT: Also see here before you judge the scales :-)
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

Hi planetmaker....thank you for your very prompt and informative reply. For the thick among us (me)...on a blank canvas, exactly what would the distance be of one of those green squares?

Cheers
A
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Amandom wrote:Hi planetmaker....thank you for your very prompt and informative reply. For the thick among us (me)...on a blank canvas, exactly what would the distance be of one of those green squares?

Cheers
A
Sure.

100, if you go by houses, 500 if you go by cars, 10 if you go by typical train length, 5 if you go by the size of the largest oil tanker ship, 1 ... 100 if you go by the distance between towns, something else if you go by the vehicle speeds, and that depends on the direction. Oh, and yes, it varies by a factor of 10 in each of those categories.

Also see here for the exact scales :-)

Just joking. Of course it's exactly 79.34920194739205846395 Giga-Angstrom.
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

:wink:

Cheers
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Amandom wrote:Hi everyone - I've searched and am unable to find reference to my question, that being: how many squares would equal 1km?

All help appreciated.

Amanda
I've searched and I've found this
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Amandom : just to rephrase it all: the game does NOT have an equivalence of kilometer per square
The distance changes depending what you are talking about. A house does not have the same scale as a train. A train sees the ground on a different scale if it goes North-South or NorhtEast-southWest
A boat does not have the same scale as a train or a plane.

So it's irrelevant to try to know that, it is in fact impossible.
Plus, nothing is calculated in kilometers
And therefor, it serves no purpose
Think SQUARE
not Kilometers/miles/OooolaHooop/what's not
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

Yikes!

Thanks guys.....not sure if I should've made such a blatant request :D

Basically - I want to replicate to replicate a "roughly" 20 sqkm area - based on an old tramline that through-ran 7-9kms east/west of a central city area.

Phew - some of these calculations are deep.

Thanks for all of your very helpful responses - hopefully when I get it up and running I'll demo it you kind folk for critique.

ps Did we ever really settle on a distance....like set it in concrete. Afterall, I'm not really interested in time per se, more so visual replication.
Surely, in the simplest of terms...1 km is how many squares?

I'm a lazy lass....forgive me.

Ciao

Ama
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Amandom wrote:ps Did we ever really settle on a distance....like set it in concrete. Afterall, I'm not really interested in time per se, more so visual replication.
Surely, in the simplest of terms...1 km is how many squares?
Did you even read planetmakers posts? I case you didn't understand yet: there is no better answer.
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from - but can I help it if I'm dumb?

Seriously - just a very simple answer - and yes I will try to reckon the previous posts calculations and take them into consideration - but just for argument's sake, surely there must be an answer like....30 squares is roughly 1km.
That's basically all I'm asking.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

42 squares / km
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Sure. Let's take a house tile as example. I guess a tile would be about 50meters long.
That means that two towns that are 50 tiles apart are only 2.5km apart.
That means that an oil tanker that is about one tile (like all ships) is only 50 meter, which is quite short.

Ok, let's do it different. We take the distance between two towns. Let's say two towns that are 50 tiles apart are 25km apart from each other. That means that every tile is 0.5km long.
That means that every bus is 250meter long.

See where this is going? There is no single measurement.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Based on the size of width of (road) vehicles a tile is around 12.5 metres wide, thus 80 tiles are needed for one kilometre. Based on the length of a day and number of tiles travelled a tile is around 667 kilometres long.

Thus, 30 squares are 375 metre and 30 squares are 20.000 kilometre, or 80 squares are 1 kilometre and 1/667th square are 1 kilometre.

As such any number within that range of 1/667th square to 80 squares will be a valid approximation of the number of tiles for one kilometre. There is no single value as there is no consistent scale and as such your question can't be answered with a single value. You can rephrase your question in any way you want, but you are never going to get a single number.

If you really want a single number, then go with 1 square is 42 kilometres.
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

Guys - Gals......Yexo - I appreciate your precision and your arguments; I seriously see where you're coming from and thank you....I appreciate the input.

Rubidium.....thank you likewise.....that is basically the calc I need....I mean it's a game, and I'm replicating but merely for enjoyment and hence I wanted a rough measurement for that purpose.

Thanks to you all - you're help is a refreshing suprise. Some forums i belong to, well let's just say they need to start smelling the coffee.

Ah you all know what I mean.

Cheers again,

hope to be involved more and talk soon

Amanda
Amandom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amandom »

ps You guys are amazing!
Yisc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yisc »

I don't want to put any oil on the fire, but wouldn't it be nice when everything is in some kind of scale compared to other things?
We all know a bus is a large object, but compared to a house it is little, while a house compared to a tanker, is little it self.
To re-create the real world, everything should be made to scale I think.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

OpenTTD is a game. Recreating the real world is not one of its goals. The multiple scales that have already been mentioned were probably created just to make the game look nice.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Terkhen wrote:OpenTTD is a game. Recreating the real world is not one of its goals. The multiple scales that have already been mentioned were probably created just to make the game look nice.
I think it had more to do with limitations of the hardware the original could be played on.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Hyronymus wrote:
Terkhen wrote:OpenTTD is a game. Recreating the real world is not one of its goals. The multiple scales that have already been mentioned were probably created just to make the game look nice.
I think it had more to do with limitations of the hardware the original could be played on.
And what is better - 10 buses in game-town or 500 buses per game-town? Second choise is more realistic but 10x more vehicles for player to create (10x clicks), 10x work for CPU... Lets imagine that 1 bus is representing regular bus service on 1 line.

And anyway game is slowing down from 500 vehicles and more (on my computer).
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Yisc wrote: To re-create the real world, everything should be made to scale I think.
that's fine, if you want an airport to cover a full 256x256 map.

(if a tile is ~20-30m [based on size of house], then 256 tiles is only 5-8km, which is not an unusual size of a large airport)

"everything to scale" just doesn't work in a model railway context.

Return to “General OpenTTD”