OpenTTD 1.0.0

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 1.0.0

Post by Rubidium »

Yes, it's April fool's day [0], so time to release 1.0.0.
frosch wrote:6 years. What were you doing 6 years ago?

In March 2004 OpenTTD 0.1 was released. Hardly a month later in April 2004 OpenTTD 0.2. And today, six years later... OpenTTD 1.0.0. It was a lot of work, hundreds of thousands of translations, tens of thousands of commits, thousands of graphics, hundreds of patches, dozen of sounds and musics, and one goal. How many people contributed? Dozen of artists, translators and developers, hundreds of testers and bug reporters, and also the thousands of players. Looking at the readmes and credit sections only gives a small hint. Some of those who were main contributors left long ago, and there are only a few who know them all and talked to them once via IRC or the forums. But if you consider all contributors, including those of the used libraries, and the external artists of OpenSFX... Well, then most likely not every contributor actually knows OpenTTD :)

So in the end, what was most fun in the past 6 years of OpenTTD? Playing? Contributing? Modding? Talking? Or just taking part in a large crowed moving in one direction? One direction? Well, at least in bigger scope :) But in more detail there were quite some parties involved in the process. Sometimes pulling in the same direction, sometimes maybe pulling in slightly different ones. Let's just mention some of the projects around OpenTTD which influenced it in this or that direction: The various integrated builds and patchpacks, first of all the MiniIN. Then the first Town Growth Challenge, TTDPatch, #openttdcoop, Goal Servers and the big patches (Subsidiaries, YAPF, YAPP, CargoDist, 32bpp & ExtraZoom). And not everything which made it into main trunk was happy sunshine, just to mention the first approach to Path Based Signalling, or the attempts around the AI.

But when looking back, most turned out fun. Thank you!
[0] Actually, it is never April fool's day at all places on earth because of Howland Island in UTC-12 and the Republic of Kiribati in UTC+14. So an arbitrary point of time within the 50 hours that it is April fool's day somewhere on this planet should suffice.
muhtadi
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 1.0.0

Post by muhtadi »

WOOHOO :bow:
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Congratulations on the amazing release.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Six years already, eh? I feel old! OpenTTD has come a long way since I uploaded those first sources all those years ago. Congratulations and thank you to the many, many users who contributed in so many ways over the years. Here's to the next six years!
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Formitastic.
Finally the long awaited release.
Yiehaaaaaaa.

Thank you to all who have contributed In the past and the present.

Here's to the next six years! Cheers.

Edit: mr. orudge, you stole my line ... :mrgreen:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Samurai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Samurai »

Excellent news and a huge CONGRATULATIONS to all involved (past and present) :D

What a fantastic way to enter April!
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Having had a really bad day (do not ask for details please) I arrive much later for my daily forum crawl than is usual for me. I then find that this amazing bit of news is awaiting said arrival. v1.0.0 is a true milestone in the release of this ongoing project. As Rubidium and frosch have already eloquently stated there are far too many people that have made individual and group contributions in getting OpenTTD to this point to even begin trying to list them all. The majority of them know who they are. All of them should be frequently reminded of just how valuable those efforts have been. So to all of them, past and present, the deepest thanks of a grateful community goes forth. Now what were those rumors about something known as r20000?
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Kurek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kurek »

Long time lurker (been lurking around here since before I registered for whatever reason back in 2008), first time poster. Thought I'd just drop in to congratulate the team and thank you all for years of OpenTTD fun. Well done all!
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

16 years of Transport Tycoon and 6 years of openTTD. In only four years, openTTD would have been around for half of TT's existence... yeah I think I'm starting to feel old too. :mrgreen: And to think that I originally played openTTD back in 2004 cause the window was resizable unlike TTDPatch back then.

Let's hope we someday reach 2.0.0 too (maybe towards the end of this decennium?). But question is what kind of major milestone would need to be reached for that. ;)
Farden
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Farden »

WOOOT, FINALLY! :bow:

After all those years, it's really here. The 1.0 version... it even seems a bit strange to think that it's "finished", when you see all the development still in progress. But anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who worked on this huge project. It's now a fantastic game, and everyone can be proud of what they've created.

Thank you for this excellent game :bow:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Just that: congratulations and thanks! You walked a long an partially at least also stony way and now we have here the marvel of a full TTD game which stands on its own feet :-) It's fun to be part of this community. What is most fun? Dunno. It all belongs together :-) Where's the party? :-D
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Congratulations!
elring
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elring »

Awesome!

Thanks to all developers and contributors.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Wow, it's been such a long time. I remember those times very well, when OpenTTD was fresh. That was the time when Ludde, Vurlix, Darkvader, Bjarni and myself were pretty much the only ones working on the code. When there were still a few mystic constants and bitshift magic in the code. :P

Even though I currently don't have enough time to devote it to this fine project, I am still following its progress. Great job guys, you have finally reached that long-anticipated milestone of a truly free and open OpenTTD. Thank you!
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

This is one piece of news I absolutely believe today.

Good job everyone!
alyr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alyr »

Congatulations to the devs (and everyone else)! Thank you for this great game! :bow:
Ragzid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragzid »

Awesome :)
Congratulations a thanks to everyone involved to development ;)

Debian/Gentoo/Beer user :)
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Congratulations on reaching a huge milestone.

Anyone posted this to /. yet?
(Edit: did it myself)
Last edited by Jupix on 01 Apr 2010 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
#################
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Which reminds me, what does Google have today?

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/landing ... oranimals/

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!
kirky_D
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kirky_D »

Congrats ALL!!

Return to “General OpenTTD”