Pillar height issue and solution

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Moluma
Engineer
Engineer

Pillar height issue and solution

Post by Moluma »

Hello :)

Does some one happen to know a good answer on how this "pillar height issue solution" is possible? I don't have any knowledge about codeing GRF-sets, but I find this quite extraordinary, compared to how the other GRF-sets behave. Well, let me explain:

I use to play openTTD (v. 0.7.4) with the North American Road set (NARoads) and the Total Bridge Reneval set (TBRS), fitting for the road set. I noticed some time ago that by building a bridge like shown in the two examples in picture 1, the marked pillars are like "floating" in air. This issue apeared both with use of TBRS with standard road support and NARoad support.
The "floating pillars" are marked
The "floating pillars" are marked
Picture 1: The "floating pillars" are marked.

I noticed that, quite surprisingly, by changing the order of the GRF-sets in the NewGRF Settings (for some other reason) the graphical issue was solved. The bridge pillar issue is "fixed" as long as the Industrial Stations Reneval v0.8.0 was placed above the Total Bridge Reneval set. See picture 2.
The pillars seem now to carry the bridge
The pillars seem now to carry the bridge
Picture 2: The pillars seem now to carry the bridge.

If anyone has a good answer, it would be nice to know - thanks :D
Creator of: The Lighthouse Set
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Pillar height issue and solution

Post by Zuu »

Yes, there is quite a lot of secret rules regarding in what order to place NewGRFs. In the manuals of the NewGRFs it is sometimes noted about in what order you should place that NewGRF in relation to other NewGRFs.

Nice that you posted a solution to this specific issue.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

This is an issue within the set, it was made for an old version of OTTD. I havent got fixed it yet. :|
The Industrial Stations Reneval shouldt make any effect, North American road set is fixing my misplaced pillar offsets.
It seems Industrial Stations Reneval fixing the issue, but an station set souldt affect those bridge pillars :S strange
Moluma
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Moluma »

Thanks for your explanations. :)

No problem Zuu, I think it's good that we can share solutions here. There is no sense in keeping solutions secret if it can help the others.

If I understand you right thgergo, I agree that it sounds strange that a station set can solve the pillar issue. Thats why I also liked to ask.
Creator of: The Lighthouse Set

Return to “General OpenTTD”