A Service Center that doesn't block an ML in any way

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

problematiQue
Engineer
Engineer

A Service Center that doesn't block an ML in any way

Post by problematiQue »

Bigger Version

When a train goes into the depot, the train behind is rerouted to another lane. Trains are being rerouted until the train that went to the depot has once again joined the ML.

Pro's:
- No jamming.
- Prioritized.
- Highly adaptable.

Con's:
- Requires specific layout for different trainglengths and speeds.
- Takes up A LOT of space.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A Service Center that doesn't block an ML in any way

Post by audigex »

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the below do the same thing in less space and cheaper?

The single PBS signal allows only one train to attempt to enter the service area at once, and the 1tl after the split means the train entering the depot won't slow down the main line. On the way out, only one train will attempt to exit the depot at once, waiting until the last has left. Also, it provides a handy 2tl space for a priority to stop them slowing the ML down on exit.
Attachments
Servicing
Servicing
service.png (49.78 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Jon
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

The one that problematiQue posted supplies servicing to a larger TL. Anyway, I use multiple service depots for single lines.
problematiQue
Engineer
Engineer

Post by problematiQue »

The problem with that set-up is that the depot is either too far away from the main line to be noticed by trains, or too close to the main line, causing it to jam because it has to slow down to enter. With shorter trains this is no problem, but with longer ones it is.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Ah okay, fair enough - I tend to specify my servicing as an order, eg making a train service every 3rd trip, rather than just letting them run to a nearby depot. It's more realistic to me to have seperate depots for different trains.
Jon

Return to “General OpenTTD”