IPv6 support for openttd.org

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

IPv6 support for openttd.org

Post by TrueBrain »

As of today (give or take your DNS cache), openttd.org is IPv6 ready. All but two services reply to both IPv4 as IPv6 requests. The exceptions are the OpenTTD MasterServer and the OpenTTD ContentServer, which are both still in IPv4 only mode. Without doubt this will change in the near feature.

As LeaseWeb can't supply us with native IPv6 support, the IPv6 is made available through a tunnel by SixXS. As our PoP is LeaseWeb (yeah, I am not kidding), the latency difference is almost nothing (compared to IPv4, if you can compare those anyway).

If there are any questions or problems with IPv6 support of openttd.org (and its subdomains), please let me (or Rubidium) know.

If you don't know what IPv6 is, read up on it on the web, and get your own IPv6 (for example via a tunnel by freenet6.net). It is the future .. get ready for it ;)

To make it perfectly clear: tt-forums.net has nothing to do with openttd.org (and is, as far as I know, IPv4 only). Also, OpenTTD (the game) is also IPv4 only.

Have a good day!

[UPDATE]

tt-forums now also supports IPv6.
OpenTTD (the game) now also supports IPv6.
MasterServer now also supports IPv6.

Thanks to two really great people at LeaseWeb, one person for pointing us to an other, and the other person for making it happen, we now have Native IPv6 (so no longer a tunnel). This means that both the latency decreased, as there is one less point-of-failure. Also, not running a tunnel means less annoying problems, so we are all happy :) The DNS will update in the next hour, switching you automatically to the native IPv6 (if you use IPv6, that is ;)).

With this last step it means that OpenTTD is now 100% ready for IPv6. Both native connection, as IPv4/IPv6 in-game and all services. So .. now it is your turn to switch to IPv6! :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: IPv6 support for openttd.org

Post by jonty-comp »

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonty>ping -6 openttd.org
Ping request could not find host openttd.org. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonty>ping -6 www.openttd.org

Pinging web.openttd.org [2001:1af8:fe00:f2::2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 2001:1af8:fe00:f2::2: time=46ms
Reply from 2001:1af8:fe00:f2::2: time=45ms
Reply from 2001:1af8:fe00:f2::2: time=45ms
Reply from 2001:1af8:fe00:f2::2: time=44ms

Ping statistics for 2001:1af8:fe00:f2::2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), 
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 45ms
Hooray for the future!
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

jonty-comp wrote:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonty>ping -6 openttd.org
Ping request could not find host openttd.org. Please check the name and try again.
[/quote]
Oops .. fixed now ;)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

TrueBrain wrote:To make it perfectly clear: tt-forums.net has nothing to do with openttd.org (and is, as far as I know, IPv4 only).
Although that may change soon. ;)
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

The former, or the latter?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The latter.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Always at the forefront of technology! Now I just need to find an ISP that does proper IPv6 instead of getting a tunnel. :D
EoD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EoD »

Great to hear that openttd is now ipv6 ready!
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" :-D
Maybe OpenTTD will be IPv6 capable some day...

But there is still some problem:

eod@sparc ~ $ host openttd.org
openttd.org has address 85.17.162.188
openttd.org mail is handled by 10 filter.iseer.nl.
There is still missing an AAAA entry. I checked it on two different machines (with two total different nameserver (relays)).

@Rubidium, sorry for all the discussion about IPv6 in the last days :)
Last edited by EoD on 02 Apr 2009 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

jonty-comp wrote:Always at the forefront of technology! Now I just need to find an ISP that does proper IPv6 instead of getting a tunnel. :D
Entanet (ADSL24, Headwe, etc) does IPv6 if you have a modem/router that supports it.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

EoD wrote:(..)
But there is still some problem:

eod@sparc ~ $ host openttd.org
openttd.org has address 85.17.162.188
openttd.org mail is handled by 10 filter.iseer.nl.
There is still missing an AAAA entry.(..)
cPanel refused to make openttd.org both CNAME and TXT and NS ... solved it now by adding a A and AAAA entry instead of a CNAME :p So should now really be fixed :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

TrueBrain wrote:cPanel refused to make ... both CNAME and TXT and NS ...
Not just cPanel... DNS does not allow any other records with a CNAME, including SOA...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

EoD wrote:"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" :-D
And what's the advantage of IPv6 for your average Joe? Last time I checked, we weren't out of IPv4 addresses yet and because everything is backward compatible with IPv4 I don't really see the point.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Well, with IPv6 you don't need stuff like NAT and port forwarding anymore... now many people are just sitting behind NATs (which is somewhat working solution used to conserve IP addresses, without NAT the IPv4 addresses would run out quite some time ago.) and if their provider won't gave them any port forwarding, they can't for example start openttd server on their computer. Actualy, they can start6, but nobody from "outside" won't be able to connect to them.

With IPv6, everybody can have public internet address. There are thousands IPv6 addresses for every nanogram of matter on earth, so if every object heavier than one nanogram gets one, there are still plenty of free IPv6 addresses :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

We're not out of IPv4 addresses yet, but one day, it'll get to a point where we will, in effect, "run out" (there will no doubt be IPs left, but it will be rather impractical to use them, and it may result in large-scale NATing - I believe the majority of consumer Internet connections in Africa, for instance, are behind NAT). Adoption of IPv6 has been a bit of a problem in that people say "hmm, why would I want IPv6, nobody uses it", so the site owners say "hmm, nobody uses IPv6, why would I run an IPv6 server", and so on. By getting more sites available on IPv6, it'll hopefully make more people aware of IPv6 and lead to more people using it.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

FooBar wrote:
EoD wrote:"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" :-D
And what's the advantage of IPv6 for your average Joe? Last time I checked, we weren't out of IPv4 addresses yet and because everything is backward compatible with IPv4 I don't really see the point.
So because you are not yet out of food, there is no reason for you to buy any food or alternatives, even if you know there was no harvest this year? I think you should join some politic party, they have the same weird opinion about things.
orudge wrote: We're not out of IPv4 addresses yet, but one day, it'll get to a point where we will, in effect, "run out" (there will no doubt be IPs left, but it will be rather impractical to use them, and it may result in large-scale NATing - I believe the majority of consumer Internet connections in Africa, for instance, are behind NAT). Adoption of IPv6 has been a bit of a problem in that people say "hmm, why would I want IPv6, nobody uses it", so the site owners say "hmm, nobody uses IPv6, why would I run an IPv6 server", and so on. By getting more sites available on IPv6, it'll hopefully make more people aware of IPv6 and lead to more people using it.
I have to say: I am proud we are leading with this, instead of following ;)
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

FooBar wrote:And what's the advantage of IPv6 for your average Joe? Last time I checked, we weren't out of IPv4 addresses yet and because everything is backward compatible with IPv4 I don't really see the point.
So you don't see a point in all the effort to replace our dependence on oil. Last time I checked we weren't out of oil. But we have to wait developing and implementing replacements for oil as long as there still is (some) oil left?

I'd personally prepare myself for the situation where we're going to get out of oil.

Now given the statistics there's till 2050 or so till the oil runs out. The IPv4 addresses run out in a few year according to http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Hmm ... well, I asked my ISP about IPv6 and they responded they only support IPv4 as they have no IPv6 infrastructure. And unfortunately, I can't just switch ISP's, as the choice of ISP's in my area is rather limited.

So it is not just "ordinary Joe does not care about ipv6", but also often "ordinary Joe's IPS does not care about ipv6, even if ordinary Joe may like it".
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Bilbo wrote:(..)
So it is not just "ordinary Joe does not care about ipv6", but also often "ordinary Joe's IPS does not care about ipv6, even if ordinary Joe may like it".
I know that problem all too well .. In my case it is even worse: my ISP offers native IPv6 .. but my university doesn't. So I can't get it at home either (university connection).

Lucky, there are tunnels! :) Freenet6.net is quick and simple .. sixxs.net is annoying and complex .. but both work very nice :)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Cool!
IPV6 is one of those things that I have read about, and put on my list of things that I want to know more of, but never really had the time or need to actually do it.

Openttd.org on v6 is a nice catalysor to pick it up again.

In my case, I may have a triple problem:
My ISP does not offer native V6, my modem/router does not either, and the router/wifi access point that I have connected behind that also does not (at least, I checked all the settings after reading this thread, and could not find any).

So my question is: is it possible to tunnel through this config, or should I not even bother, or buy new hardware?

Return to “General OpenTTD”