!Megaclan gaming day!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Giles
Engineer
Engineer

!Megaclan gaming day!

Post by Giles »

The idea is to have a game highly different from clanmega's everyday servers. We're hoping it's going to be a little like OTTDC and WWOTTDGD apart from not as established or as well respected. We are ussing a large map of the Netherlands which we're hoping will be highly detailed. Clanmega has achived many things similar to this in the past and has been well respected throughout the stable versions of ottd. The patch we are using will be something similar to the WWOTTDGD2 patch (the one with trackshare).However the patch is still not finnalised so keep an eye on the patch section. I hope people are intrested and we also hope to see you there.

visit clanmega.warlink.eu for details and full information

note we are not trying to compete with wwottdgd or ottdc
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: !Megaclan gaming day!

Post by Zuu »

I think it's a good initiative. As Yorick suggested in your forum, take a look on newer versions of patches than those included in WWOTTDGD2.

Sulai has made a webtool that is used to make community integrated builds which has a few patches in it that all works without any conflicts:
http://ammler.ch/sulai/

Here you can see the conflict status of the included patches, and get automatically a joined patch-file. http://ammler.ch/sulai/plugins/autoIN/build.html

Here you can see a list of all included patches with short description of all:
http://ammler.ch/sulai/rules.php#Patches

But probably you want to focus on the few major patches you have interest in. Perhaps the most interesting is shared tracks. GUI enhancement could possible be used without to much work. For example easier bridge-building, searching for signs, quick goto.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

yes i know WWOTTDGD2 is probally not the best patch to use. We are know only ussing WWOTTDGD2 patch as a last resort. If something is seriously wrong with Yorick's patch or it simply dosen't work in the first place. However Yorick is a good coder i trust him completely and his work is ussually to high standards. We are also don't want a patch which either dosen't have Trackshare or Cargodest included in it. At the moment it looks as if Trackshare is going to be included. But we will certainly have the 55 player patch somehow intregated into the patch.

DATE 19th Dec to 21st Dec
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Giles wrote:yes i know WWOTTDGD2 is probally not the best patch to use. We are know only ussing WWOTTDGD2 patch as a last resort. If something is seriously wrong with Yorick's patch or it simply dosen't work in the first place. However Yorick is a good coder i trust him completely and his work is ussually to high standards. We are also don't want a patch which either dosen't have Trackshare or Cargodest included in it. At the moment it looks as if Trackshare is going to be included. But we will certainly have the 55 player patch somehow intregated into the patch.

DATE 19th Dec to 21st Dec
MAX_PLAYERS (or MAX_CLIENTS?) is just a constant which needs to be changed. That's no problem. Adding a client patch(pack) like the NomicIN or the client_patches.diff (available from #openttdcoop svn as autostart add-on) are not problematic either. It gets difficult, when it comes to more admin-friendly servers :) and more complex patches like infrastructure sharing, maybe combined with cargodest... or something like "no trees growing", restrictions on terraform etc pp...
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

we have most stuff sorted like tree's and gaming style. However i'm not the person who deals with the coding i don't know the difference between clients or players. Thats Yoricks job speak to him if you want to know about that. I think our game style this time is "unrealistic" therefore there is no restriction on terraform allthough we allready have a patch that allows restrictions on that :)
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Players = the number of companies in the game
Clients = the number of people connected to the game

So you can have 4 clients, but only one company (everyone on the same company) or 8 clients with 8 companies (which may be 8 people on one company, 8 people with a company each or any other combination0
Jon
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

in that case clients. There would be no point in having a special day if only about 10 clients could connect. Hopefully you two would like to join us. 8) you've probally got much more important things though :shock:
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

we're thinking of changing dates for GD as we've just found out me and lot's of other members are AFK that weekend.

What do people think of

15th DEC to 19th
Mon Fri

Yes i know it's more of a week than a day technically but it gives us enough time for everyone to take part and enough time to connect our HUGE map.

please let me know. We desperately need players since our map is huge and we might never have another GD again if we don't get more than 25 different players connected over the week.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I go home from uni on the 14th, but assuming my home broadband is being fast enough, I'll have more than enough free time
(read as, I'll be there far more than is probably healthy) :-)

What's the gameplay style to be? Realistic-ish or "efficiency is king"?
Jon
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

i expect your home internet will be fast enough however it is a large map. 2048.2048 map of the Netherlands.
It'll be great if you can play :mrgreen:
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

If you decide to use a patch that was originally created by others it would be fair to ask permission to use it. Don't just copy a patch or an idea. Give the original coders credit.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

wow - i am quite glad to see you are inspired by #openttdcoop and our wwottdgd events.
if you want some help (other than coding, e.g. advice and thoughts from our perspective) just feel free to ask us - we are happy to share from what we have learned by preparing, coding, and hosting these events.
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

I would definitely join the game some time but I must say that I am a complete patch noob (since I am using windows...). Will there be a precompiled windows trunk available for download? If yes, count me in :D
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

yes there will be a patch avaliable on clanmega.warlink.eu under helpful links and downloads HOWEVER it's not there yet becuase Yoricks still testing and making it 8). i hope everyone can play coz it's gonna be great
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

Well gaming day is now starting tommorow we need as many players as possible for it to be a success all information and downloads/links is avaliable from clanmega.warlink.eu. HOPE TO CYU THERE
yorick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yorick »

Giles wrote:Well gaming day is now starting tommorow we need as many players as possible for it to be a success all information and downloads/links is avaliable from clanmega.warlink.eu. HOPE TO CYU THERE
Update: it will not be tomorrow, rumors say it will be friday.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

something not working the way it should yorick?
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

no nothings wrong with that patch we're ussing however it's still in testing stage so we're just looking for bugs ect (patch is combined cargodest, trackshare, 55 player patch) We changed date becuase i thought that people said they couldn't play that weekend, but i was wrong :( it's actually the other way round no one can play this week so it's back to orginal date's keep checking clanmega.warlink.eu for information as it's completely up to date there.

Current estimated dates ( not for certain yet)
19th Dec 21st Dec
Fri Mon

don't get too excited over patch remember we could find something wrong with it and have to withdraw sharing or cargodest, so don't go screaming about it yet i don't want your hopes getting up yet :P

Yorick iv'e found some bugs which are if you try opening a desert ramdom map it crashes ottd Also i think if a train crashes on a shared track it also crashes ottd.

Dihedral the orginal idea for Gaming Day came from WWOTTDGD we saw the success that had and we wanted something similar not to compete with WWOTTDGD but to make it more popular by running a similar sort of game slightly more regularly where hopefully junior and slightly more senior members wouldn't feel out of place. Hope you don't mind helping us with something. If you could look at the clanmega.warlink.eu megaclan gaming day section and see if there's anything wrong or something you think we could improve with i'd help us A LOT in preparing for Gaming Day. don't feel presurised into doing anything but i'd help so much if you could. :))
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

i would prefer a direct question ;-)
Giles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Giles »

lol very well, could you see if there's anything that would cause a problem in our organisation on clanmega.warlink.eu :wink: thanks it'd help

Return to “General OpenTTD”