Dedicated OpenTTD Server

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NoPride
Engineer
Engineer

Dedicated OpenTTD Server

Post by NoPride »

Hi guys!
I'v been playing Transport Tycoon on and off since 1995-96 and still love the game and thank everyone who is involved in making OpenTTD possible.
I am interested in running a dedicated server wich i have done localy on my computer but due to constent adsl drop outs and power outages is it possible to run one from my web site? witch supports
Apache version 2.2.9 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.6
MySQL version 5.0.45-community-log
Operating system Linux

I use to use and would like to run something similar to http://myottd.net/ but it has been down for a while now, I had a look at OpenTTD Autopilot but im not sure if that what i need.If you can help please post a message in basic terms as i am confused
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dedicated OpenTTD Server

Post by Brianetta »

Hi. I wrote autopilot, and dihedral maintains ap+, which is extended in many ways from my original.

You don't need autopilot to run a dedicated server. It just automates some stuff (and with recent versions of openttd, many of the original reasons for running autopilot have vanished).

You need access to a shell account, and ideally you need to have screen installed. Screen usually comes with a Linux distribution, but isn't always installed by default. If you cdon't know what screen is, take some time to read Wikipedia's article about it, which is (alas) better than the official documentation at describing the software. You'll also need to have the OpenTTD dedicated server installed, and the original TTD graphics.

So, once you have a shell, and that shell has screen available, and you've installed or built the openttd dedicated server, and also uploaded the graphics, you just need to have a read of this page on the Wiki to get started. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

I suggest you at least try to get the server running on its own before trying out autopilot. autopilot is handy and all that, but I do believe that the additional complication can wait until you really think you need it.

Apache, PHP and MySQL are not relevant to the running of a dedicated server.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

NoPride wrote:[...]is it possible to run one from my web site? witch supports
Apache version 2.2.9 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.6
MySQL version 5.0.45-community-log
Operating system Linux
OpenTTD dedicated servers don't really have anything to do with web sites, meaning that your generic shared web hosting isn't really going to let you run a dedicated OpenTTD server. As Brianetta said, your only reasonable choice is to get shell (ssh) access, which may or may not be possible, depending on how cheap your webhost is.
NoPride wrote:I use to use and would like to run something similar to http://myottd.net/ but it has been down for a while now, I had a look at OpenTTD Autopilot but im not sure if that what i need.If you can help please post a message in basic terms as i am confused
Did you find MyOTTD useable in the state that it was in last week?

Note that MyOTTD is/was more of an entire service platform with a web frontend than a web site, it's not something you could run as a PHP script on your own server.
NoPride
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NoPride »

Did you find MyOTTD useable in the state that it was in last week?
I only found it about a month ago and besides a few little bugs it was easy to use, I loves it and it would be nice to see it back.
NoPride
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NoPride »

Hello everyone

I was wondering if there is a "autopilot for noobs" out there, I have spent a while trying to understand how to get it running but I am unsure if im on the right track? I have 2 dedicated server one on window and one on linux (why 2 i dont know) :)
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I'm not aware of a "for noobs" variant of my software. That said, it is GPL, so somebody could have produced one.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
NoPride
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NoPride »

Thanks Brianetta

In that case if there is anyone out there that is willing to write a tutorial on openttd autopilot would be nice :)
MonkeyManx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MonkeyManx »

Return to “General OpenTTD”