OpenTTD title page competition!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD title page competition!

Post by littlemikey »

**UPDATE**
Please upload a screenshot with your entry!

I've decided that what this competition needs is two "Categories". One, will be the "Strict" category, one will be the "Open" category.

Rules of "Strict":
  • 64x64/128*128 map.
  • no GRFs used.
  • any maptype but toyland.
  • One submission per person.
    If somebody submits two, I will only count the first one.
Rules of "Open"
  • Any map size (even though it dosent matter anyway)
  • Any number of GRFs used.
  • Any map type.
  • Multiple submissions allowed.
Please specify what category you are entering when you make your submission.

Each category can have one winner and two runners up (if we get that many entries) and also, mabye, if I pester some high ranking people, the winner of the "Strict" category can have his/her title screen become the default for all of OTTD ^__^.

I asked Rubidium what he thought of the above, and he said that it would probaly not be possible, but it all depends on how much support this competition gets I suppose.

Oh well, happy playing!

*Origional post below*
Howdy there guys.
A few days ago, I was staring at my Openttd title screen thinking to myself "You know, that title screen is so cluttered, and its getting old. I should find a better one to replace it with."

Then, it got me thinking. You know? This would make for a cool competition. The title screen is something you see every time you load up OTTD, so it should be something cool and unique.

I dont really have anything to offer in prizes, but the winner will get his or her titlepage featured in the top of this thread, and i'll use it as my background, and i'm sure lots of other people will too ^_^

Attached you'll find a simple one that I made in roughly four minutes. I'll make a better one when this competition gets underway.

For those of you who dont know how to make a title screen, i'll walk you through it.
  • First, make a new map. Or load an old save if you have something in mind. It dosent matter.
  • Secondly, BUILD! Build what you think would look cool, but remember, the middle is cut out by the main menu, so try
    to get some action happening on the sides.
  • Thrid, when you think that you've finished, position the camera. This is important that you move the camera to the location you want your title screen to be.
    After that, save the game. Make sure you save it as something you'll identify easier.
  • Fourth, go to your save destination. For me it is c:/Users/LittleMikey/Games/Openttd/save but i'm sure you'll have something different (Unless you use Windows Vista and your name is LittleMikey.)

Find the save that you wanted your new title screen to be.
    Copy that file
    Now, paste that file to the same location you copied it from. This will mean that you have your origional save, as well as something that looks like " savegame - Copy.sav "
    Rename this file to opntitle.dat It will probaly say something like "this may not work" but just ignore it.
  • Fifth, go to your /Openttd/Data folder. Find the file opntitle.dat and make a backup of it (so you can get your origional title screen back) Then move your new opntitle.dat to the /data directory.
  • Finally, load OpenTTD! Your new title screen should load instantly. If it dosent load, you probaly made a mistake renaming opntitle.dat Remember it needs to be called exactly opntitle.dat or else it wont work.
Well, if anyone has problems, questions, suggestions, or racial slurs to throw at me, please send them here, or PM me. I hope to hear from you soon :)
LittleMikey

*EDIT*

For those people who are curious, I did a test, and the main menu is about a 6x5 square diamond which will blot out the middle of the map.

*EDIT AGAIN*
I just realised that the one I made was using the Japan GRF, and anyone who tries to load it without having the Japan GRF installed will probaly see a very buggy thing.

To make things easy, in your submissions, either do not use GRF's, or only use GRF's available from the Openttd COOP GRF pack. That is available here: http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/wiki/index.php/GRF

Please mention any GRF's you use with your submission.
Attachments
opntitle.dat
My display of a title page. Copy it to /openttd/data
(433.22 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Last edited by littlemikey on 09 Dec 2007 12:33, edited 3 times in total.
vanOekelen
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD title page competition!

Post by vanOekelen »

Nice idea!

But why don't you use a 64x64 map? 433kb is a bit big for the title screen...
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

Well, to be honest I realised that only after i'd finished, and was too lazy to copy and paste it to a smaller map ^_^
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

I highly recommend to not use any newgrf in title screen, as bad things will happen when you'll modify newgrf config for your next newgame.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

glx wrote:I highly recommend to not use any newgrf in title screen, as bad things will happen when you'll modify newgrf config for your next newgame.
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/1469 something like this I assume...
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

I got "Missing GRF files Disabled" and it killed it when I went into the NewGRF window :)
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Fun idea for a competition.

I think a screenshot on the forums and the opntitle.dat as a entry are good. :)

This one is also a bit big, but I didn't have a more suitable map. :P
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Mr. X wrote:Fun idea for a competition.

I like it, its actually kind of relaxing because it's not hectic!
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

If people want to use GRF's they are welcome too, however, try to make it a GRF that comes in the COOP GRF pack, that way it can be kind of 'standard' but still have a large choice. I wont be installing any additional GRF's just to view entries however (unless the maker gives me a good reson why).

Also, just incase anyone was wondering, all cheats are allowed when you're making your title page. If you need to use magic bulldozer or cheat to give yourself money or something, i've got no problems with it :)
Mr. X wrote:Fun idea for a competition.

Thankyou for your submission. I appreciate the screenshot, but I'll load them all into OTTD to see what happens anyway.

I'd like to make some suggestions to see how you can improve yours, but i'd probaly not be a very good judge if I gave some people hints to win, so just load yours up and watch it for a couple of minutes. You can get quite a few more points if you modify a couple of things.
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

Me likes your entry very much, Mr.X. I had never tried a large canal before and didn't even know they could be larger than one square. Silly me.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

littlemikey wrote:If people want to use GRF's they are welcome too, however, try to make it a GRF that comes in the COOP GRF pack, that way it can be kind of 'standard' but still have a large choice. I wont be installing any additional GRF's just to view entries however (unless the maker gives me a good reson why).
If I make a savegame with a COOP GRF pack from a few 'revisions' ago, you'll always see warnings about it not loading the 'correct' NewGRF versions. Do you want the COOP GRF pack to stay contain ALL NewGRFs (and especially all versions of the different NewGRFs) that the COOP GRF pack has distributed? Because that is what you need when you want to use the COOP GRF pack as the NewGRFs needed for the title screen. Furthermore I think people are going to retract their "you may distribute my GRF" because they are not removing old and broken versions of the NewGRF from the pack.

So, in short, using NewGRFs from the COOP GRF pack is not such a good idea as you make it look like.
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

Rubidium wrote:
littlemikey wrote:If people want to use GRF's they are welcome too, however, try to make it a GRF that comes in the COOP GRF pack, that way it can be kind of 'standard' but still have a large choice. I wont be installing any additional GRF's just to view entries however (unless the maker gives me a good reson why).
If I make a savegame with a COOP GRF pack from a few 'revisions' ago, you'll always see warnings about it not loading the 'correct' NewGRF versions. Do you want the COOP GRF pack to stay contain ALL NewGRFs (and especially all versions of the different NewGRFs) that the COOP GRF pack has distributed? Because that is what you need when you want to use the COOP GRF pack as the NewGRFs needed for the title screen. Furthermore I think people are going to retract their "you may distribute my GRF" because they are not removing old and broken versions of the NewGRF from the pack.

So, in short, using NewGRFs from the COOP GRF pack is not such a good idea as you make it look like.
Hmm, well, i'm not really aware of such problems.

I guess the best solution would just to be make sure you are using the most up to date version, making sure you have version 6 final.

Otherwise, I guess just dont use GRF's at all. Players choice.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

HA! I want to compete too :D I won't post a screenshot, because if I did...No-one would download it, I bet :D I soon post another one similar, but ...normal..
Attachments
opntitle.dat
(42.56 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

Come on guys, keep them coming ^__^
lordazamath wrote:HA! I want to compete too :D I won't post a screenshot, because if I did...No-one would download it, I bet :D I soon post another one similar, but ...normal..
Please note: Any submissions that result in the judge's eyes burning out will result in loss of points.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

...no..Because your eyes are burnt, you decide to take the winner randomly...More chances to my work :D
Quinnyowns
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinnyowns »

Would it be possible and feasible to have a changing background similar to RollerCoaster Tycoon (RCT)? I liked that a lot - it gave a nice preview of the game and I stole some ideas from it for my parks :) I apologise if you'd rather have this post in the suggestions forum.
lols internets.
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

Quinnyowns wrote:Would it be possible and feasible to have a changing background similar to RollerCoaster Tycoon (RCT)? I liked that a lot - it gave a nice preview of the game and I stole some ideas from it for my parks :) I apologise if you'd rather have this post in the suggestions forum.
You know, I never thought of that, I guess it would be nice, but it would require a big code change. Go ask about it in the suggestions forum.
(Its not possible now, but it may be in the future)
lordazamath wrote:...no..Because your eyes are burnt, you decide to take the winner randomly...More chances to my work :D
Rules have been updated.
Your submission is now in the "Open" category.
Gonozal_VIII
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gonozal_VIII »

That's an attempt i did some time ago to get some of the new features into the original title screen.
Attachments
opntitle.dat
(146.6 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
title.png
(851.23 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

Gonozal_VIII wrote:That's an attempt i did some time ago to get some of the new features into the original title screen.
Thankyou for your submission :)
tkz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tkz »

Here's my attempt.

Fun competition :D
Attachments
opntitle.dat
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”