World Wide OpenTTD Game Day

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

#wwottdgd on 27th October 2007

Poll ended at 23 Oct 2007 10:23

good choice, i'm in
81%
sorry, can't join then
19%

Total votes: 21

dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

World Wide OpenTTD Game Day

Post by dihedral »

Ammler and I are working towards a world wide day of OpenTTD gaming - on a single game...
He has written a patch that that adds the possibility of having way more clients connect to one game than you are used to.
We have the hardware and bandwidth to support a decent connection for quite a few clients. We shall patch and package a windows binary and provide the source for everybody who wants to compile their own. If people feel like building some binaries for other systems for us, we would greatly appreciate that :-)
more clients
more clients
more_clients.png (208.41 KiB) Viewed 10147 times
The main question we have is who would be interested and what date is is possible for you guys to take part in such a game. The Aim is to run a full 24 hours giving out us/ca/jp etc. fellow gamers the chance to participate as well - which would mean we would have to focus on a weekend.
We also wish to load some grfs, to especially calibrate NewIndustries, which Belugas has made some amazing work on.

please let us know either by posting a reply to this thread, or by sending us an email: wwottdgd@ammler.ch

We shall keep this thread and my website posted with updates: http://openttd.dihedral.de so keep checking for updates :-)

[EDIT] All binaries will be provided, they can be downloaded from http://nightly.openttd.org/wwottdgd/files/
you MUST have the latest #openttdcoop grf pack and update pack
Last edited by dihedral on 18 Oct 2007 10:23, edited 3 times in total.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: World Wide OpenTTD Game Day

Post by athanasios »

:] . Nice idea and nice patch!
I may not have time to join, but please, since this patch is useful, can you open a thread in development section too?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Count me in!
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

I'm intrested. I have a few weeks of free time I can burn, I probably might even try to pull off playing from 1920 to 2050... or as long the game lasts. ;)
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

I have just setup a server for a beta test, I would like you trying to join:
http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/blog/2007/ ... me-server/

or with IRC: wwottdgd @ oftc.net irc://irc.oftc.net/wwottdgd

Greets
Ammler
name101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by name101 »

Yeah it would not be bad to have a try at this.
I might be in depending on what year 12 has to do with this.
"N101" on OpenTTDCoop
Vik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vik »

Very nice ! But can you please copy entries line for [new grf] in these thread, please.
I have downloaded the needed grf package and copied the folder to the data folder of a clean nightly build.
I needed to make everything manually and I compared the 31 active files and I still can't join because grf conflict. I am sure they are the same. But I can't find the decativated. I Don't know if I need them or parameters settings.
Really if you want players to join, make it easy and place exact links to the files you need or just make
a ready to go package at least for the windows users.
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

im in and if its gonna be in the weekend i can probably pull up a 24hr one :twisted: as long as my parents arent home
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

we are currently running a betatest of the patched game, patching the max_clients value to 55 and had a successfull 32 clients in the game (as you can see in the screenshot)
feel free to visit our irc channel (irc://irc.oftc.net#wwottdgd)

we are still looking for a date most people will be able to have time to join, so if you guys with interest could specify a few weekends where you would be able to take part in this game, that would be great.

as for the grf conflicts, make sure you have the latest #openttdcoop grf pack and the latest update pack
Attachments
wwottdgd betatest clientlist
wwottdgd betatest clientlist
#openttdcoop, 19th Jun 1938.png (135.7 KiB) Viewed 9519 times
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Vik wrote:Very nice ! But can you please copy entries line for [new grf] in these thread, please.
You don't need to do that manually anymore. (since 0.5, I guess)

The needed GRFs (with the parameters) will be loaded automatically when you join. Isn't that easy? ;)

You get also further help at our IRC channel...

Greets
Ammler
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Anytime excluding weekends and Wednesdays for me!
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
Vaosk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vaosk »

For some reasons i cant play this, i have no big programming knowledge if you can understand me. Its like being served raw meat
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

Vaosk wrote:For some reasons i cant play this, i have no big programming knowledge if you can understand me. Its like being served raw meat
you do not need programming knowledge. i am assuming you have gotten other openttd games to run... well - it's exactly the same. all you need is to download our binary (http://nightly.openttd.org/wwottdgd/files/) and install as usual.
then you download the grfpack and extract it to your /data folder of the openttd game you just downloaded.

bam - done :-)
Vaosk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vaosk »

I click the .exe and these error popups:

Your Sample.cat file is corrupted or missing! i press ok

ini:ignoring invalid NewGRF 'pb_ukrs.grf':not found. ok..

ini:ignoring invalid NewGRF 'pikkingw.grf':not found. ok..

ini:ignoring invalid NewGRF 'pikbrikw.grf':not found. ok..

error! Cannot open file 'sample.cat' ok..

Microsoft visual c++ runtime library, assertion failed!
Program: C:\Games\openTTDwoot\openttd.exe
File: /compile_farm/openttd/wwottdgd/compil.../openttd.cpp line 110 etc.. -ignore-

Send crash report to windows? -no thx-
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

sample.cat is a file you need from your original copy of Transport Tycoon.

to make it quick&easy, make a copy of your normal working OTTD folder and unzip this build into it, overwriting everything.

the other stuff, something.grf - are newgrfs, the WWOTTDGD server uses the newgrf package from #openttdcoop, see here: http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/wiki/index.php/GRF

download the GRF pack beta 6 and the "updates since beta 6"-zip, and unzip them into your /data folder.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vik »

ammler wrote:
Vik wrote:Very nice ! But can you please copy entries line for [new grf] in these thread, please.
You don't need to do that manually anymore. (since 0.5, I guess)

The needed GRFs (with the parameters) will be loaded automatically when you join. Isn't that easy? ;)

You get also further help at our IRC channel...

Greets
Ammler
I had the latest nightly from the nightly site and there you can't join when there is grf missmatch. The join Button is disabled for me.
Looks like your site opentttd.dihedral.de is a little hard to understand what build to use ti join the fun. Well you have now posted the correct link to the nightly- wwottd build and the grf packs. I think this will will work.
But now the server is not there :) Thanks for helping.

Edit... found the problem... I had an old openttd.cfg in that folder and deleted it, it does not get updated when you run a new build of openttd.exe Doh! :(
rabbit67890
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rabbit67890 »

Can i join please :?: :wink:
Vaosk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vaosk »

Thanks for the support. :]
Copied it on another install and it worked!
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

End of out BETATEST

A pretty successful day, i would say. thanks to all who were there and had the patience.
The game is still up and running in paused mode, so all with interest can get their copy of our patched OpentTTD game to connect and snoop around the map (just to make sure it all works before the big day comes)

To point it out as clear as i can: you MUST have our binary(!) which you can download from http://nightly.openttd.org/wwottdgd/files/

further more, you MUST have the #openttdcoop grfpack 6beta AND "updates since 6beta": http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/wiki/index.php/GRF

We assume you are fully able to get a stable game of OpenTTD to run (i.e. 0.5.3)
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

athanasios wrote::] . Nice idea and nice patch!
I may not have time to join, but please, since this patch is useful, can you open a thread in development section too?
This Patch changes only an constant, so its not really worth for its own thread. ;)

Greets
Ammler

Return to “General OpenTTD”