Heightmaps

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Fireblast
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Heightmaps

Post by Fireblast »

Can some one, do a heightmap of Poland??
I rzekł Ojciec do Syna: Idz do miasta po maslo!
I odrzekł mu Syn: Nie pojdę
I skarcil Ojciec Syna... zlamal mu dwa kręgi szyjne i wiedzial Syn, ze postapil zle.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Hey pplz, could some one make a Height Map of Ontario Canada? I dont care if a bit of the States, Quebec and Manitoba are in but I mainly i want Ontario. Heres the link to it on Google Maps [ http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Ontario&ie ... a=N&tab=wl ]
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The both of you could just follow the directions in the sticky in this very forum.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

DaleStan wrote:The both of you could just follow the directions in the sticky in this very forum.
But I cant, if it need a good PC, then Im not game, my PC has a Crappy Celeron Proccessor @ 2.66GHz, thats probably not even the Power of a 1.2Ghz P4 DX

So I need some one else to do this, plus I have crappy internet, so it would take for ever to download everything I need (I have 512kbps internet but downloading is capped at less then 80Kbps DX )
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

NekoMaster wrote:But I cant, if it need a good PC, then Im not game, my PC has a Crappy Celeron Proccessor @ 2.66GHz, thats probably not even the Power of a 1.2Ghz P4 DX

So I need some one else to do this, plus I have crappy internet, so it would take for ever to download everything I need (I have 512kbps internet but downloading is capped at less then 80Kbps DX )
I'll try it then, I've got nothing better to do anyways. No promises, though.

EDIT: Eh, crap, got to finish this tomorrow, it's way too late.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Acerbus wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:But I cant, if it need a good PC, then Im not game, my PC has a Crappy Celeron Proccessor @ 2.66GHz, thats probably not even the Power of a 1.2Ghz P4 DX

I'll try it then, I've got nothing better to do anyways. No promises, though.

EDIT: Eh, crap, got to finish this tomorrow, it's way too late.
Thanks dude, and now that I found out that with the newest Nightlies, you can make the game load more then one Train Set, So I can have the UK Renewal, Canadian TrainSet, 2cc World Trains, Serbian Standard gauge set , US train set and the North American trainset, thats A LOT aint it? And guess what, I only started in 1935!!! : D
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

Hi, just finished it. I hope it's good enough, though you may have to alter some of the coastlines and such to your liking. Also, you will have to fill in the lakes, rivers, towns and industries yourself, as the heightmap doesn't include that information (now that I think of it, there is a new heightmap patch out there, which would include all that information... oh well).

I think I included a bit too much of the surrounding areas, but Ontario has this weird shaped area to the south, which complicates things a bit, plus I had to make the image an exact square. Anyways, you can crop the picture, if it's not to your liking.

Now I got to go delete all the 300mb .bmp images I just filled my pc with 8) .
Attachments
ontario.png
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 329 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Acerbus wrote:Hi, just finished it. I hope it's good enough, though you may have to alter some of the coastlines and such to your liking. Also, you will have to fill in the lakes, rivers, towns and industries yourself, as the heightmap doesn't include that information (now that I think of it, there is a new heightmap patch out there, which would include all that information... oh well).

I think I included a bit too much of the surrounding areas, but Ontario has this weird shaped area to the south, which complicates things a bit, plus I had to make the image an exact square. Anyways, you can crop the picture, if it's not to your liking.

Now I got to go delete all the 300mb .bmp images I just filled my pc with 8) .
Heh, thanks dude 8) Thats rlly good, Surprisingly I live in that "weird shaped" south :P here in Oshawa (Not to far east from Toronto )

Wow, where those 300MB BMP's from making my map? Wow, now thats another reson why I cant do this, my computer would melt trying to open one of those large images, 300MB is like a HQ Metrasoka Video File for a 23minute Anime episode! DX
g1real
Engineer
Engineer

Post by g1real »

Could you make a heightmap of The Netherlands for me? If you could keep a small border of water instead of cramping as much land on it as possible, even if it's only 10 tiles. I can't do it because somehow I'm refused from downloading the maps from SMRT.

Edit: Holy crap, noticed the topic's 3 months old, if he's still around by that time...

Sorry for bumping this, it was a wiki link.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

http://devs.openttd.org/~truebrain/mapgen/image013.png

Work in progress of an automated system :) Maybe you like it ..

And yes, it is not correct yet; this map shows everything which is above -10M (where 0M is sealevel) .. I am working on cutting out what should be water ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Truebrain - what's the automated system going to do? As in, what part of stuff is it going to automate?
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

lol .. euh .. the generation of the maps? :p
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
san-ho-zay
Engineer
Engineer

Post by san-ho-zay »

kumquat_s wrote:Was wondering if someone could help me with the attached height map. Essentially i wanted most of england, all of the Netherlands, and as far down to france as Paris.
I realise this post was ages ago, and the map shown in the post covers more area, particularly to the north, but I made this English Channel heightmap some time ago ...

It's just a shame we can't make the Channel tunnel. ;)

EDIT: As I've been looking around, I've also found a 512x512 scenario with a selection of towns. No industries but you could add your own as you see fit.
Attachments
Channel.png
(254.86 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
English Channel No Industries.scn
(226.61 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
san-ho-zay
Remarul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Remarul »

Hello all!

I have been trying to make me a hightmap...but the google-earth plugin always gives me an error... and I have taken a map from some other site...and after hours of editing in PAINT.NET.. it worked ...but the terrain is very bad! only sharp hills!

SO... if there is someone ho can make me a hoght map of western-romania... I would be really grateful (it is in eastern-europe)

I have added a normal map... where the region I am looking for is marked.
harta-romania.jpg
harta-romania.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

g1real wrote:Could you make a heightmap of The Netherlands for me? If you could keep a small border of water instead of cramping as much land on it as possible, even if it's only 10 tiles. I can't do it because somehow I'm refused from downloading the maps from SMRT.

Edit: Holy crap, noticed the topic's 3 months old, if he's still around by that time...

Sorry for bumping this, it was a wiki link.
No idea if you're still reading this topic after about a month...

I've made a height map of the Netherlands once (without the Ijsselmeer being land), rotated such that the afsluitdijjk is properly aligned. Just search my post, probably about a year ago.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Send a PM, that will likely get him/her sent an email so they'll see your comment.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Is it possible to get a heightmap of the planet without needing the extra large maps pack (since it's so outdated)?
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Wasila wrote:Is it possible to get a heightmap of the planet without needing the extra large maps pack (since it's so outdated)?
If there is none, you can make your own. Heightmaps of earth in resolutions from 5400*2700 to 44000*87000 (= 500 meters per pixel) can be found on NASA Visible Earth project page.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Thanks A LOT!
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Wasila wrote:Is it possible to get a heightmap of the planet without needing the extra large maps pack (since it's so outdated)?
I have just updated the patch and the binary to current trunk. It seems to work fine with freeform edges. Check bilbo's thread to get it.

Return to “General OpenTTD”