How To: Generate Superb Heightmaps :)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gurubob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gurubob »

Hi All,

This is really cool, but I'm stuck - how do you load the PNG into the scenario editor? It seems like I'm missing something obvious. I've got OpenTTD 0.4.8.0 on Windows.

I have no heightmaps directory, and I tried saving them into the scenarios folder but the only way they show up is if you save them as SCN files, then it complains about the size. My file is 1024 x 1024 (also tried 128 x 128).

Any help appreciated... :)
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

It's not a feature of any released (i.e. non-nightly) OpenTTD. You need a nightly to run it.
gurubob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gurubob »

Ahh brilliant, thanks.

I didn't follow the steps for generating a height map from Google Earth, but with a bit of GIMP work and lots of land reshaping I managed to create a full map of New Zealand. I hope someone finds it useful :)

http://www.guru.net.nz/blog/2006/12/ope ... aland.html
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Hm, seems as if the mirror for this elevation.kmz is down. I can't find the DEMs on the usgs site either. :cry:
2rB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2rB »

Tanks for the toturial :D

Found a Illustrator-map over Norway at work, and made a hightmap out of that (after some altering of colors, to make them go correctly from black to white).

Works supprisingly good... However, map over Norway without Sweden gives A LOT of costline, so dont know how much fun it will be to play :?

Or - maybe someone like A LOT of costline?

Anyway, the result were supprisingly accurate, if generated to a large map.

Attached is the PNG-file (1024 x 2048 pixels). Dont have a screenshot of the generated map, as I'm at work... But if anyone is interested i suppose I can take a screenshot in the near future...
Attachments
norge-ROT-CROP.png
Norway : Rotated & Crop'ed.
North is UP on the picture.
(306.74 KiB) Downloaded 969 times
2rB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2rB »

OK - attached is a screenshot of the map window, showing southern Norway. Did not attach a screenshot of the whole map because it had to be to big if there should be a chance to see anything...

Generated the map in 2048 x 1024 (to see how much details I could get)

Does anyone know how the calculation of industries is done ?
Feel that the number on this generated hightmap is totaly out of porpotion (had it set to few industies) - but maybe this is because there is to much ocean, and to little land? That there is a given number on a given size of the map?

I see that this map probably wont be so wery playable du to the HUGE amount of industries in a very limited area...
I´ll see if I can make a scenario of it some day, and place out industries and towns...
Or maybe some of you want to do that? If so feel free to use the hightmap in the previous post.
Attachments
norway-south-hight.png
Southern Norway. Map size: 2048 x 1024. Generated from the hightmap in the previous post. South in real life is in the lower left corner of this picture.
(131.29 KiB) Downloaded 836 times
Aerond
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aerond »

You will laugh at this, but when I click the link on GE it starts downloading the file automatically from the website instead of opening the basic download dialogue. How I activate that? (basic windows cuestion, I know!!)
2rB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2rB »

I do not know what you mean by "GE"...

Anyway - it depends on what browser you are using.
If using internet explorer you find this setting in:
- Tools
- Internet Options...
- Security
- Custom Level...
Scroll down to downloads.

/Offtopic

My Norway-hightmap actualy fit on a 512 x 2048 pixels. Just had to rotate it a bit... Should have thought about that when I made it...

Has become cuite many posts in a row from me, but attach it anyway.
Will try to make a scenario of it in near future :)
Attachments
norge-512-2048.png
Norge - 512 x 2048 pixels
(242.71 KiB) Downloaded 751 times
Aerond
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aerond »

Hi!! I have a question about heightmaps. I followed the instructions and now I have my PNG file. How do I load it into OpenTTD Scenario Editor?? Do I need some add-on?? Can you post pictures of the process?? Seems I´m missing something.
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

Aerond wrote:Hi!! I have a question about heightmaps. I followed the instructions and now I have my PNG file. How do I load it into OpenTTD Scenario Editor?? Do I need some add-on?? Can you post pictures of the process?? Seems I´m missing something.
You just need OpenTTD 0.5.0 (including RC).
odink
Engineer
Engineer

problem

Post by odink »

HI, I have a small problem.... At MICRODEM on the screen is a scale bare. How to remove....

Thq

(sorry for my bad english)
grtz odink
Gebbe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gebbe »

Is there anybody who want to make a scenario of the Southern Island of New Zealand? It would be super if the scenario could be based on existing places and industries in NZ. I've made a PNG-image already. It is my first heightmap and it seems to be really accurate (for as far as I could see... ;))

but... here's only one problem... i can't manage to upload the image... :(
edit: i've found and solved the problem: the file was to big. So i have splitted it up into two .rar-files
Attachments
NewZealand(South).part2.rar
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 384 times
NewZealand(South).part1.rar
(2.86 MiB) Downloaded 552 times
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Here is a "good" Southern to Eastern area of England heightmap I've rustled up using the 'export as .png' method. It may be a little too contrasted but with England it'd be boring as it's all moors and plains, but it still has all the landmarks easily recognisable although a little exaggerated.

This would make a great scenario if someone had the time to place all the towns realistically on the map with Farm > Factory predominance.

P.S. First post, be nice. I am a long time TT'er starting at the age of around 5 when it was first released. 11 years on and the bug is still biting.

Attachments
Eastern England 4.png
England - The South to the East regions (Height levels so slightly exaggerated to give map good playing)
(252.55 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
jnmbk
Engineer
Engineer

Heightmap of Istanbul

Post by jnmbk »

Thanks for the topic. Here's my city, Istanbul. :wink:
Attachments
Heightmap of Istanbul City
Heightmap of Istanbul City
IST.PNG (211.44 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
seawar ass ttd player
Engineer
Engineer

Post by seawar ass ttd player »

what a nice thing to do. Can you make me a hight map op Denmark?

Coords is 57'45'45.66N, 7'16'58.66E to 54'29'34.20N, 13'01,15.03E

I didn't now which ones of them you wanted, so you got them all.

/seawar as(s) tdd player
Danish set drawer | - im not good at drawing, but i will always give a try if u ask me. :D

Free money?
Bux.to
Clix4Coins

OOps i put an "s" to much into my name, i should have been named: seawar as ttd player
oth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oth »

I have a quite decent heightmap of Estonia and Northern Latvia (unfortunately lacking smaller bodies of water).
Attachments
est.png.gz
Compressed heightmap
(920.7 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
seawar ass ttd player
Engineer
Engineer

What do i name it if its gonna be saved as height-map?

Code: Select all

*.???
is it like *.sch or something (stands for scenario height)

it is maybe a bit off topic, but I thougt that People here might be possible to answer
Danish set drawer | - im not good at drawing, but i will always give a try if u ask me. :D

Free money?
Bux.to
Clix4Coins

OOps i put an "s" to much into my name, i should have been named: seawar as ttd player
2rB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2rB »

you save your hightmaps in PNG-format - then they get .png ending.

You can use these to create scenarios.
seawar ass ttd player
Engineer
Engineer

2rB wrote:you save your hightmaps in PNG-format - then they get .png ending.

You can use these to create scenarios.
okey, thanks -anyone wants to make a heigth map of denmark? coords is some posts up...

Free money?
Bux.to
Clix4Coins

Dave

Post by Dave »

Eddie wrote:It may be a little too contrasted but with England it'd be boring as it's all moors and plains
How Southern.

It's not all moors and plains here.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “General OpenTTD”