Newby Question - OpenTTD and TTDPatch

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

cptmcnair
Engineer
Engineer

Newby Question - OpenTTD and TTDPatch

Post by cptmcnair »

Can you use the grfs for both or do you have to find a website with just OTTD grfs to use in OpenTTD?
_Robbie_
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Newby Question - OpenTTD and TTDPatch

Post by _Robbie_ »

Most grfs work in both. There are few that are game-specific, but you don't need to worry about them.
Robbie
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Just keep in mind to use Windows GRF's if you plan to play on the net... since that's what majority of servers uses.

There might be a few newGRF features not supported by openTTD yet but most of them work fine. :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

_Robbie_ wrote:Most grfs work in both. There are few that are game-specific, but you don't need to worry about them.
Why not? I'd've thought if he wants to use a game-specific grf he'd need to know if it worked on OTTD.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
_Robbie_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by _Robbie_ »

Dave Worley wrote:Why not? I'd've thought if he wants to use a game-specific grf he'd need to know if it worked on OTTD.
1. "I'd've"? Nice one :).
2. Because AFAIK every grf working in TTDPatch also works in OTTD. I'm not sure about the other way - that's why I've written what I've written - to be on the safe side :). But since he posted in OTTD forum I suppose he has OTTD and not the Patch, so he doesn't need to worry too much about it.
Robbie
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

_Robbie_ wrote:2. Because AFAIK every grf working in TTDPatch also works in OTTD. I'm not sure about the other way - that's why I've written what I've written - to be on the safe side :). But since he posted in OTTD forum I suppose he has OTTD and not the Patch, so he doesn't need to worry too much about it.
Not quite, there are the rare (and deliberate) exceptions like eis_os bridges.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

There are more.

regards
Michael
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

_Robbie_ wrote:2. Because AFAIK every grf working in TTDPatch also works in OTTD. I'm not sure about the other way
It's the other way around. Every valid GRF works in TTDPatch. A subset of valid GRFs works in OpenTTD.

Invalid GRFs may or may not work in either program.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I think the Vehicle Engine Pool changes have changed that. It is now possible to create a .grf with vehicle IDs outside their "normal" limited range - which would not work on TTDPatch, but should work OK in OTTD with the option on. Currently AFAIK no-one has created one, but it is now possible.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Hmm So maybe now we have 2 newgrf versions as now both games have individual useful features. And maybe finally all this "ottd is inferior" nonsense can end once and for all.

Return to “General OpenTTD”