OpenTTD mod: far into the future...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Does this mod sound like something you'd play?

Poll ended at 07 Aug 2006 17:57

Yes, start developing it!
68%
Hmm, need more info.
11%
BOORRRINGG! Count me out...
21%

Total votes: 82

Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shorty »

that is the process one would use to decode the images. incidentally, you'll need that program to recompile them as well, so its easier all round if we just leave you to get them (abd grfcodec) for yourself.
"And if i close my mind in fear, Please pry it open
And if my face becomes sincere, beware!
And if i start to come undone, Stitch me together
And if you see me strut, Remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
-Metallica Lyrics
Electric Rails for all Tilesets
~A Talented Fool~
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

ohh ok. lol. not good with coding
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

It would be easier to use I.Mage and grfcodec to get the pcx. save to png, cut out the grass, modify, and then post on here.

Dalestan has told you the command line you need use.
SirXavius
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SirXavius »

Remember to use the Toyland grass if you're just going to use as a modified trg1.grf. I'm not sure how to create an .exe file to plant just the changed graphics.

And if you have ideas for vehicle graphics, stay tuned; i have some sketches i can upload (i still start out with pencil-and-paper, old-school). The "magcars" are basically open- or closed-topped cubes with thick magnetic plates underneath and magnetic trailer links (for connecting with other of their kind to form a sort of train). The monorail trains are futuristic versions of the game's existing graphics.
The VT vehicles are truck-sized cylinders that open on each end, like huge, two-ended peanut-butter jars whose contents are packed very tightly in a depressurized environment (later versions will have rounded ends so they look like giant pills).
The hovercraft use a superpressurized hydrogen jets to lift about 3 stories off the ground, and they look like house-sized aircraft with spindly legs (the small swiveling jets must be kept distant from the body of the craft); imagine a boxlike insect or a giant computer chip with thin legs (the "feet" of which are the small jets), a big cargo compartment, and topped with a navigation cabin.
Our marine vessels are all going to be barges as opposed to fillable tankers, and they're about the same size as the current fleet of the game's ships.
And finally the starfreighters are the largest vehicles, prob'ly the size of 6 or 8 city blocks, with huge rocket-jets and big bulky non-aerodynamic bodies. Just like all the great sci-fi movies have depicted.

Hopefully soon i can get these to an uploadable format...
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

ohh ok and

can someone pleeaase make my life a hell of a lot easier and just post the terrain pics of toy land . i dont know hoe to extract them (or whatever you need to do!!!!!!)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

1) download grfcodec, and place it in your data directory
2) Start a command prompt
3) type "cd <Your openttd directory>\data" (Without the quotes)
4) type "grfcodec -dp2 trg1r.grf" (Without the quotes)
5) Open <Your openttd directory>\data\sprites\trg1r.pcx
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
SirXavius
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SirXavius »

I hope that helps Tidus...

I still use Win98, so in order to extract a .pcx file, i open Run... under the Start menu, and type in the command line, which for our purposes is:

X: [directory path to GRFCodec] grfcodec -d trg1.grf

where X is the drive where the codec exists, then the path to the codec (i think that spaces in the names will prevent the .exe from working). Also use "trg1r.grf" instead of "trg1.grf" if you're using the Windows-palleted version (trg1 is the DOS version). You should already have a folder at the same level as GRFcodec called sprites. This is where the .pcx file will be placed. If anything goes wrong (can't find codec in path, can't find .grf you specify, or sprites folder is not present), the executable will open briefly, type out the problem, but close before you have a chance to read it.

BTW, the -d tells the .exe to decode the .grf, causing it to break the file up into a text-editable .nfo file, and a graphic .pcx file.

After you modify the .pcx, you can use the grfcodec to re-encode the file, but there's a special way of doing this which i'm still not sure of. Search the threads for how-tos on all that...
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

sorry cant get it to work. i need the pics. if you can extract them for me and post them here then ill modify them and then give them back to you. then you can put it back. wont that work?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

What did you try, Tidus, and what was the error message?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

i like this... and there should be aliens
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Tidus97 wrote:sorry cant get it to work. i need the pics. if you can extract them for me and post them here then ill modify them and then give them back to you. then you can put it back. wont that work?
I think nobody wants to openly break copyright laws on a public forum.
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

I think nobody wants to openly break copyright laws on a public forum.
huh?
if i dont modify the pics then how do i put in new grf? isnt that what people did with the airplane sets(just replace most of the things?)

anyway

What did you try, Tidus, and what was the error message?
i put the grfcodec thing in my openttd folder. when i double click it that black window pops up. (comand prompt thing) but it closes itself just after opening. so then i tried to open up a comand promp via the start/accesories/comandprompt. then it opens up to that black screan again. it says microsoft copyright etc. after that i enter the directory to the grfcodec, when i enter it it shows me lots of instructions on how to extract the grf etc. so then i type in -dp2 trg1r.grf and it doesnt do anyhing. i also tried grfcodec -dp2 trg1r.grf. still nothing.

PS: very bad english, i know
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Tidus97 wrote:when i enter it it shows me lots of instructions on how to extract the grf etc.
Good...
Tidus97 wrote:so then i type in -dp2 trg1r.grf and it doesnt do anyhing. i also tried grfcodec -dp2 trg1r.grf. still nothing.
The command prompt NEVER does nothing. Either it starts the program you asked it to start (Since we're talking about grfcodec here, that means output from it.), or it complains that it couldn't start the program you requested.

Post error messages.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

put the grf name first then the switches
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I can tell you for an absolute fact that that doesn't matter.
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

ok got it workin :)
but :(
although the file exist it says:
no such file or directory
what now...
SirXavius
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SirXavius »

I appreciate your contribution to this idea, so i'll help where i can so you can do whatever you like to do...

Make sure you have a folder in the same location as the codec labeled sprites, plus the trg1 file, all at the same level in the same folder. I believe it needs that to work correctly. Myself i only use the -d switch, and i get my sprites and their accompanying .nfo file.

Also check out (search and download) a program called WinGRF. I found it helpful for plugging in individual sprites. Hang in there, you're getting close...

And, no, Gurluas, there will be no aliens (not in my version anyway!). I like to maintain a sense of realism and Extraterrestrials are a complete figment of imagination. (If you'd like to debate that subject, open a thread somewhere else and PM me with a pointer to it :o )
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Tidus97 wrote:although the file exist it says:
no such file or directory
When grfcodec refuses to work, we require the exact command line you typed and the full and exact output from grfcodec.
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

this is what i type in
C:\openttd\data\grfcodec -d trg1r.grf
PS i also try -dp2 for here /\ but i got the same results.

what it says is
GRFcodec version 0.9.9 r652E - copyrite (c) 2000 - 2005 by josef drexler
Error opening trg1r.grf: no such file or directory

BTW lets go on to the road vehicals or something for now coz this is starting to get on my nerves
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Why are you specifying an absolute path to grfcodec? Put it in the same directory as your .grf files, and run it from that directory. Not from some random directory.

Alternatively, specify the full path to trg1r.grf, but that's apt to cause the sprites folder to appear in an unexpected location.

Return to “General OpenTTD”