Sound and music from The Game

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Lyzz@rd
Engineer
Engineer

Sound and music from The Game

Post by Lyzz@rd »

Last night i was doing nothing and suddenly thought: TTD! I raised my archives, ran DOSbox and... that was it! The game that drove me mad for about 3 years, from '95 to '98, the game that I've been playing nights through while being a 7 year old maniac... I played it! :bow: %))
Shortly after the euphoria had gone i decided to rip sounds and music from that thing. Therer were no problems with sounds - just to unpack the samples.cat and remove the first 3 bytes from each fiile (there came 73 files of 8-bit 11/22kHz RIFF wave format). That was harder with the music because i didn't now what kind of MIDI was there and what its header looks like. But DOSbox helped me - i basicly played all the tracks through, capturing them into separate .mid files. So, now you have it - 73 sounds, 22 tracks in a 1M archive. Maybe it's been already done a thousand times before me :) but do we care? Enjoy 8)
Attachments
Transport Tycoon Deluxe.rar
Sounds and Music from the original TDD
(1018.94 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Impossible is the last word to say.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Er, the music is already in separate files that can be played with a MIDI player... :-)
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

well it's always best to add one more, thanks! :wink:
0beron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 0beron »

Yep, the MIDI files have extension .gm, but just change it to .mid and it works with no probs.
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

If you're talented in the music area - you couldn't do worse than make us some remixes. I always love a good TTD music track remixed.
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Sionide wrote:If you're talented in the music area - you couldn't do worse than make us some remixes. I always love a good TTD music track remixed.
Did you hear the Funky House version? :)

http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=3907
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

GoneWacko wrote:
Sionide wrote:If you're talented in the music area - you couldn't do worse than make us some remixes. I always love a good TTD music track remixed.

That version is SWEET!!!!!!!! 8)

Now that you're talking about remixes why not make some sort of contest for the best TTDX song remixes? :mrgreen:

The best ones could then go into the new music system that someday will allow ogg, mp3, etc, to be added as game music :D
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ah, yes, must finish that, got distracted by industries. In exactly one month's time, the 23rd May 2005, I'll have finished my exams and will make a point of getting every outstanding project I have finished, if possible. ;)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i'm thinking of "covering" some TTDL songs, on actual instruments ofcourse. maybe i'll start a band to play them. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

That would be nice. If you poke around the forum, you can find Emre Meydan's really quite rocking TT intro theme, tis very nice.
jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

I play a few TTD songs in my jazz combo.....its great. Once this guy started p***ing himself laughing when we started playing one....obviously he recognised just how nerdy i am.
Yep That's me in my Avatar
I am the Lemming!
WJP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WJP »

GoneWacko wrote:

omg that is really good!!!

are there more such good remixes?
Aliens Ate My Railway
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

indeed I was listening to that remix about half an hour!! :D
Good stuff!
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

jabberwalkee_ wrote:I play a few TTD songs in my jazz combo.....its great. Once this guy started p***ing himself laughing when we started playing one....obviously he recognised just how nerdy i am.
Don't be shy to post them here if you ever record them :mrgreen:
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
Nappe1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nappe1 »

a friend of mine made a 4 channel edition of theme. It is basically pretty much identical to original, but now you can use it as ring tone in cellphones that support 4 channel mids (like mine Nokia 3150i) :)

right now it's on my wap pages (that are private and in finnish as well) but if you want, I can make english wap pages so that you can easily download it to your phone...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Nappe1 wrote:a friend of mine made a 4 channel edition of theme. It is basically pretty much identical to original, but now you can use it as ring tone in cellphones that support 4 channel mids (like mine Nokia 3150i) :)

right now it's on my wap pages (that are private and in finnish as well) but if you want, I can make english wap pages so that you can easily download it to your phone...
my phone supports any midi file so I already have it, and so do many other people :wink:
Nappe1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nappe1 »

Born Acorn wrote:
Nappe1 wrote:a friend of mine made a 4 channel edition of theme. It is basically pretty much identical to original, but now you can use it as ring tone in cellphones that support 4 channel mids (like mine Nokia 3150i) :)

my phone supports any midi file so I already have it, and so do many other people :wink:
yeah, I know. the original midi played as well in my phone, but because it does not support more than 4 channels at time, it didn't played correctly. That's why it was editted. (original has 16 simultaneus channels.)

This modification was done over a year ago (year and half maybe close to truth...) and after that cellphones have gotten more simultaneus voices in ringtones so time has passed it already.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Someone posted a slightly modified TT MIDI a while ago, and I have that on my phone (although it's generally not the active ringtone, I'm afraid. Maybe I'll assign it to people like Born Acorn, ChrisCF, Steve and Metalcore - good thinking Roger!)
Lyzz@rd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lyzz@rd »

Sorry dudes i didn't know about the separate files... :oops: The thing is, my copy of TTD is about 7 or 8 y.o., and there are several .cat archives - you know, sample, gm, roland... and they all contained .dat's with the data I was talking about. And i still hope this alrchive will be useful for other lazy people like me :D So don't judge me too hard... And what about the remixes - I'm really close to start working on them. I'm gonna first sequence the main theme in three ways - GM using Overture, tracked form in my custom-built MPT and the fat cheezy Reason variant - I guess the last one will be much larger :wink: because there's no way to share it except simply rendering to mp3 or ogg :( Then I'll compare them and decide if 2nd or 3rd variants are worth developing or will GM be just enough for performing my ideas... %)
Impossible is the last word to say.
efikkan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by efikkan »

I found recorded MP3s of the original TTD music on an internet page some years ago. These files were recorded with an old sound blaster, and they sound very good. Unfortunately, some of these files does not contain the complete tracks. I wish I cound put these tracks into the game.

Return to “General OpenTTD”