UK vehicle set recommendations?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

UK vehicle set recommendations?

Post by Davie_UCF »

Using UKRS and Av8 for Trains and Planes but what sets fill the gaps? Buses, trams, trucks and boats?

I've tried a few but they seem to be lacking, Bobs uk buses is just buses? So can it be used with other sets without problems? I'd like trucks too :p

Cheers
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UK vehicle set recommendations?

Post by Pyoro »

Multiple vehicles sets usually are no problem, definitely not for any RV sets I know. So using UK buses with for example Long Vehicles and HEQS is no problem.
For ships there's for example Squid.
Dave

Post by Dave »

HOVS is a bus set by Pikka which recreates some buses through the years. It's an old GRF but Pikka generally makes sure stuff still works. Don't know if it's on Bananaman but it used to be available from his wiki - I'm not sure if that's still live.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

For tram, try 2CC Tram Set. It has a few trams that are exclusively British, and also contains modern trams that Britain uses today (but not in UK liveries or by their UK variant model names/numbers).
Morgs
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Morgs »

BATS is Trams
Bob British Buses
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Davie_UCF wrote:Using UKRS and Av8 for Trains and Planes but what sets fill the gaps? Buses, trams, trucks and boats?

I've tried a few but they seem to be lacking, Bobs uk buses is just buses? So can it be used with other sets without problems? I'd like trucks too :p

Cheers
I'd recommend:
UKRS2
UKRS2+
Finescale Standard Guage and 3rd Rail
Bob's British Buses
Bob and Ameecher's Tram Set (BATS)
Bob's Random British Vehicles
British Station Set
Rural Stations
FISH
Town and Industry - UK Houses
Total Town Replacement Set
Total Bridge Renewal Set
UK Town Set
UK Waypoints Set
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

You've also got the BRTrains set that i'm developing, and i'll also soon be starting on two more sets BRTrucks and BRBuses.
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

Translink wrote:
Davie_UCF wrote:Using UKRS and Av8 for Trains and Planes but what sets fill the gaps? Buses, trams, trucks and boats?

Cheers
I'd recommend:
UKRS2
UKRS2+
Finescale Standard Guage and 3rd Rail
Bob's British Buses
Bob and Ameecher's Tram Set (BATS)
Bob's Random British Vehicles
British Station Set
Rural Stations
FISH
Town and Industry - UK Houses
Total Town Replacement Set
Total Bridge Renewal Set
UK Town Set
UK Waypoints Set
Are all these town ones okay together? I've enabled them but i'm not sure about the roads, they appear to always look old and never upgrade to the modern style with the white lines? Any ideas?
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Davie_UCF wrote:Are all these town ones okay together? I've enabled them but i'm not sure about the roads, they appear to always look old and never upgrade to the modern style with the white lines? Any ideas?
Yes, they all work perfectly fine, I've been using them for a long time. The roads and level crossings are meant to look and I believe they only upgrade ~1980's mark. Not too sure on that one. You will also find that buildings progress with time.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I'm playing a UK game at the moment. Here's my GRF list:
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (15.07 KiB) Viewed 426 times
All sorts of stuff in there. I have no idea where I got all of them either. Some of them have no relevance to the UK whatsoever but I like them :D
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Translink wrote:
Davie_UCF wrote:Are all these town ones okay together? I've enabled them but i'm not sure about the roads, they appear to always look old and never upgrade to the modern style with the white lines? Any ideas?
Yes, they all work perfectly fine, I've been using them for a long time. The roads and level crossings are meant to look and I believe they only upgrade ~1980's mark. Not too sure on that one. You will also find that buildings progress with time.
Total Town Replacement Set is what is changing the appearance of the roads (and some road bridges). Pre-1980 the roads have a 'tiled' look to them, but some time after 1980 they change back to the 'white line down the middle' type. That is also about the same time that the really tall buildings start to show up.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

You can disable TTRS's custom roads and bridges. I suggest you do, they look wrong. :P

Try "UK Roadset with signs", together with the UK Roads version of Total Bridge Renewal (here).

Also try FIRS, its industry graphics fit in much better than the default ones. And CHIPS, for matching stations.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

FLHerne wrote:You can disable TTRS's custom roads and bridges. I suggest you do, they look wrong. :P
So tarmaced roads in 1880 don't look wrong?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

They're technically not wrong (Macadam roads sealed with tar and sand date back to the 1830s), but it also wasn't widespread. Use of tar itself dates back to the 8th century and is largely dependent on local sources of tar or oil springs.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

kamnet wrote:They're technically not wrong (Macadam roads sealed with tar and sand date back to the 1830s), but it also wasn't widespread. Use of tar itself dates back to the 8th century and is largely dependent on local sources of tar or oil springs.
A few towns might have had them, but like you said, they were hugely uncommon. Cobbled/paved roads look much more realistic.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Translink wrote:
kamnet wrote:They're technically not wrong (Macadam roads sealed with tar and sand date back to the 1830s), but it also wasn't widespread. Use of tar itself dates back to the 8th century and is largely dependent on local sources of tar or oil springs.
A few towns might have had them, but like you said, they were hugely uncommon. Cobbled/paved roads look much more realistic.
That's why I disable TTRS roads and use American Road Replacement Set. Nice pavers. :)
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

kamnet wrote:
Translink wrote:
That's why I disable TTRS roads and use American Road Replacement Set. Nice pavers. :)
I find TTRS roads to be quite decent, other than the fact that they don't work with TBRS bridges.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Nope. TTRS is quite old and only supports it's own roads or default roads.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

kamnet wrote:Nope. TTRS is quite old and only supports it's own roads or default roads.
It's really annoying because if I want realistic looking railway bridges then I have to have tarmaced roads on road bridges from TBRS, which look wrong when you put them together with TTRS roads.

Return to “General OpenTTD”