Why not TTPatch-style EnginesPersist?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Why not TTPatch-style EnginesPersist?

Post by j7n »

Why doesn't the program have its "Engines never expire" option follow already existing TTDPatch style where only those models that exist as at least one unit in the world would persist? The number could be 5 or 10 engines instead of 1 if that seems more reasonable to some. Why isn't it here?

My game is now in 2051. I have a realistic train network, and two 'experimental' monorail and maglev networks. I've gone through replacing my SH'30s on the rail network with SH'40s, even with short feeder consists, then T.I.M.s with AsiaStars, even though my map isn't in Asia (renaming them to Eurostar solved that problem).

But now my rail network is breaking down entirely with SHs at 75% and Eurostars at 59% for no reason, as if all those trains were running Microsoft Windows. :lol: This game can't continue. I sort of assumed that the game allowed any option for operating normal railways. Even an ugly one, like AsiaStars for hauling grain.

I have searched the web, and found that I need to enable the advanced setting and then use "resetengines" console command to get good trains back. I started a new game where engines would not expire, but now all of them are available at all times in depots for purchase, making lists quite cluttered. If I sort them by power, I still need to scroll down to pick cargo cars.

So why not the old way: keeping only engines which are in use and for which the player probably has autorenew contracts for? Sure some 'locomotive works' would be willing to build and sell them for me, no? I've a billion pounds ready, which go a long way in this game for buying trains.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Why not TTPatch-style EnginesPersist?

Post by planetmaker »

There is no old way - only a way used in another game.

Also keeping engines around only because they're still used is unrealistic ;) Try to tell you car dealer that you're entitled to a completely new version of your car even while there current version is two model cycles newer. Alternatively write a patch to add a 3rd option the 'vehicles never expire' option. Not sure the behaviour your describe is a desirable one, though, and worth the complication.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

As I've said,the option I want involves keeping any engine around with increased running costs.Possibly "buying the factory" and giving your company control over whether anyone else gets the otherwise-discontinued model.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

By the way, is it possible to disable STR_NEWS_VEHICLE_IS_GETTING_VERY_OLD message for vehicles stopped in depot?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

McZapkie wrote:By the way, is it possible to disable STR_NEWS_VEHICLE_IS_GETTING_VERY_OLD message for vehicles stopped in depot?
For that matter,after a couple of instances the word "getting" should disappear!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

planetmaker wrote:Alternatively write a patch to add a 3rd option the 'vehicles never expire' option. Not sure the behaviour your describe is a desirable one, though, and worth the complication.
Perhaps a simpler alternative is to extend the gui with the ability to suppress display of certain models.

Together with the existing "never expire"option you can sort-of have what you want then.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

The TTDP way of EnginesPersist is kind of single-player-ish.
OTTD tries to go a different way: FS#5292 - Add filters to the build vehicle GUI
While the patch hasn't hit trunk, it allows players/companies to hide engines from the list. It even allows to disable the filtering again, so you can filter it down to the regular ones, but still access all on exceptions.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

It seems like the filters patch would be a decent solution.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

@frosch:
Indeed, I completely forgot that there was already a patch for that. Thanks for reminding.

Return to “General OpenTTD”