External scenario editor

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Xiph
Engineer
Engineer

External scenario editor

Post by Xiph »

Hi.

I just played a couple of games with a friend on a map I designed for 2 or 3 player competitive play. The map was divided up into thirds, with thick tree and sign borders. In each third are an equal number of industries, towns etc all placed with a fair but different distribution.

This took AGES in the scenario editor. Is there an external program in which I can edit a scenario file to do this more quickly?

Oh and since I'm here - thank you. I first played this game (oh god) over 20 years ago and I'm STILL totally hooked. Thanks for keeping it going, and improving it so much!
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: External scenario editor

Post by Transportman »

With a heightmap you could have made the map division needed, and you can edit them with any program that allows editing of images. Other things are not yet possible with heightmaps, so those still have to be done with the Scenario editor, or just let the game do that when you start playing the heightmap.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
R2dical
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by R2dical »

You could write a GameScript to do this for you in maybe ~100 lines of code.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there was an ancient "head to head" patch that basically copied the map multiple times.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Xiph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xiph »

Thank you folks. That gives me a few things to try.

Return to “General OpenTTD”