SNCF Train Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

SNCF Train Set

Post by Jyratos »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but not new to Openttd as I play since April 2010, at the release of OTTD 1.0.0. I always liked playing with grfs and, recently, I had a idea : create a French Train Set.
I saw that the French train Set was never created so I decided to make one in NML. I already modified grfs : I changed the range of the planes of WAS and av8, but for av8 the range of generational upgrade aircraft didn't work on all of them. I also changed the capacity of the ships of NewShips but it is the first time I make a grf from scratch.

For the moment, I started coding a few locomotives and making sprites with PixelTool, but they are really bad. There are 12 trains for the moment and I will show in a screenshot the (bad) graphics and a list of them.
I consider this newGRF as a pre-alpha.

Today, the following locomotives exist :
Red : New trains from Prealpha 2

Diesel :
-A1AA1A 62000
-X2720
-CC65000
-X73500
-A1AA1A 68000
-BB75000
-BB60000

Electric :
-Z1400
-BB800
-Z8100
-Z8400(same sprites as Z8100)
-2D25500
-BB1280
-BB1600
-Z27500
-Z20500 (2 liveries)
-BB26000
-BB27000
-TGV Sud-Est

You can see in the screenshot the differents train classed by type of traction.
Attachments
French Set Prealpha2.png
French Set Prealpha2.png (91.35 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Last edited by Jyratos on 23 Apr 2014 13:05, edited 3 times in total.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: French Train Set

Post by jvassie »

Jyratos wrote:I saw that the French train Set was never created
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14756 Might be interested to take a look at what was done back when this was active, not sure how much time Snail et al have these days, might be able to help rekindle the old flames though!
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Jyratos wrote:I also have a question about NML : is it possible to make a train compatible to 2 differents tracktypes ?
Yes, but not at a train level. You need a track that defines itself as compatible with the other track (and vice versa) and then define your train for one of those tracks. You cannot define compatibility to multiple tracktypes at vehicle-level.

The Dutch sets do this, the Trainset has trains that run on multiple tracktypes, but it is the Trackset that defines which tracks are compatible (and provide power) with each other.

If you can indicate for what purpose you want to do this, I might be able to give some help and advise.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

Transportman wrote: If you can indicate for what purpose you want to do this, I might be able to give some help and advise.
For example, the 2D2 5500 and the BB 1280 can run both on electric rails and 3rd rails. Not all the 2D2s have equipment to use 3rd rails, but I'm sure the BB 1280 can use both.
jvassie wrote: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14756 Might be interested to take a look at what was done back when this was active, not sure how much time Snail et al have these days, might be able to help rekindle the old flames though!
Thanks, I will send a PM to him tomorrow.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

There's also this, all done by Snail. However, he's mainly concentrated on the early steamers, so your vehicles would make a nice complementary set if you focus on the modern era.
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

It could be a good alternative, because even with pixeltool, i can't draw acceptable steam locomotives. I will upload a prealpha tomorrow.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Jyratos wrote:
Transportman wrote: If you can indicate for what purpose you want to do this, I might be able to give some help and advise.
For example, the 2D2 5500 and the BB 1280 can run both on electric rails and 3rd rails. Not all the 2D2s have equipment to use 3rd rails, but I'm sure the BB 1280 can use both.
Then you need a track that defines itself as compatible and powered on the electric and 3rd rails. The downside of this is that it will result in an additional entry in the dropdown menu for rails.
Pingaware wrote:There's also this, all done by Snail. However, he's mainly concentrated on the early steamers, so your vehicles would make a nice complementary set if you focus on the modern era.
Jyratos wrote:It could be a good alternative, because even with pixeltool, i can't draw acceptable steam locomotives. I will upload a prealpha tomorrow.
Keep in mind that you can not just grab some sprites to use unless the license allows it. Otherwise you need to obtain permission to use those sprites, which might end up with giving more trouble if licenses don't match.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

There's a few French trains in the 2ccSet, and the Dutch Trainset has the Thalys. :)
Both sets are released under GPL.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

Transportman wrote:
Jyratos wrote:
Then you need a track that defines itself as compatible and powered on the electric and 3rd rails. The downside of this is that it will result in an additional entry in the dropdown menu for rails.
In the Japan Set Tracks in international mode, there's a dual electrified rail but on NuTracks I don't know if there is one. But making a train compatible with dual electrified rail will also mean that this train will can't move on 3rd rail only tracks or on simple electrified tracks ?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I don't know which one is the dual electrified one in the Japanese Tracks, but if that track defines it as compatible with and provides power on 3rd rail and electrified tracks, trains defined for that dual track can run on those tracks.

If you want a train that runs on A and B but also have trains that run ONLY on A or B, you need a track C that is defined as compatible with and provides power on tracks A and B.
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

Transportman wrote:I don't know which one is the dual electrified one in the Japanese Tracks, but if that track defines it as compatible with and provides power on 3rd rail and electrified tracks, trains defined for that dual track can run on those tracks.

If you want a train that runs on A and B but also have trains that run ONLY on A or B, you need a track C that is defined as compatible with and provides power on tracks A and B.
Thanks for helping, I'll try this.
Purno wrote:There's a few French trains in the 2ccSet, and the Dutch Trainset has the Thalys. :)
Both sets are released under GPL.
2cc is the first trainset I discovered, I really like it, but I think there's not enough french Regional trains (TER in France).

EDIT : It works ! The BB 1280 is now dual electrified but i made a mistake on the 2D2 5500 : the 3rd rail version was only a prototype.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

@Jyratos

As already mentioned, there is the "French NG train Set" by Snail. And because I´ve been cooperating with him since a long time now, I can say that there are also plans to do a French SG train set after the NG trains set´s completion. Unfortunately, because of RL issues, there´s not much time nor opportunity to work on those, ATM.

BTW, I don´t think it´s a good idea to make a new train set from a "mix" of other set´s vehicles.

regards
Michael
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

i can provide you with a:

BB63000
BB63500
BB12000 (working on it)

Z11500
Z5300 / 6100

but you have to recolor them, as i'm doing real livery only.
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

I made two new engines : BB 26000 and Z 20500. The Z20500 have 2 liveries : the old and the refurbished.
Phreeze wrote:i can provide you with a:

BB63000
BB63500
BB12000 (working on it)

Z11500
Z5300 / 6100

but you have to recolor them, as i'm doing real livery only.
Thank you, it can be very helpful as I am a bad drawer. When do you think you can send them to me ?
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

when i double-checked them ^^ they are already available in my not yet released set, i improve them if necessary after alpha/beta testing by players.

they are released under gplv2

source here:
https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/cf ... y/show/src

for the NML-code

and under the GFX there are the trains...

3600 = bb12000 (not yet included)
2000 = z11500
260 = z6100 (not yet in, but is the same as 250 just with 3 pieces)
250 = z5300
900 =63500
850 = 63000
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

An alternative French set? Sounds cool :)

As mentioned here, I'm working on a French set as well, and the plan is to make a complete standard gauge set including trains of all periods.
I'm currently working on the narrow-gauge part to get the hang of coding. Unluckily, because of RL issues (mainly moving to my new place) I've been pretty inactive in the past few months. But I will definitely go back to drawing and coding, probably starting in the next few weeks.

Best of luck with this set ;)
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

Sorry for the quite long absence, I've been busy during the 2 last weeks, but I worked on the set and I finished the Prealpha 2 ! I updated the first post to show the new trains and I think I will make the Prealpha 3 public.
There are 7 more trains than the Prealpha 1, and I coded the first generation of TGV, the TGV Sud-Est with really experimental sprites.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

a small tip for the grfx: if you want to make them look better, use some color differences for large surfaces: instead of yellow, use yellow + some other yellows. perhaps the bottom could be darker, cause it's "dirty" etc. so you can have some nuances in it.

(from the cfl set, you can also take the CFL250/260, these are used in the suburbs in Paris, SNCF Z6000)
Jyratos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jyratos »

Thanks for the tip for drawing sprites, Phreeze. I will redraw the sprites soon.

I have a Devzone project now here!
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Jyratos wrote:Thanks for the tip for drawing sprites, Phreeze. I will redraw the sprites soon.

I have a Devzone project now here!
Would you mind renaming it to something else? "French Trains Set" is the name of the project I've been working on for a few years now (and which is still actively being developed).

You might call it "SNCF Trains Set" or something like that... Otherwise it might generate confusion...
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here

Return to “Graphics Development”