pluses vs minuses of downloading newgrf files

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

AndrewCarnegie
Engineer
Engineer

pluses vs minuses of downloading newgrf files

Post by AndrewCarnegie »

I think I understand how to search the multiplayer server links to find and download (and maybe even install) NEWgrfs files

question is: what are possible downsides to using new grf files, vs. regular openttd downloads

there must be some, otherwise, why doesn't openttd come with all types of trains, tracks, & etc. pre installed?

i am interested in both elec trains as well as monorails, which I see players using on some easy to play mutli games, such as random 100K cargo, start 1950, scenario online

thanks to anyone who can help, even if answer only points to an existing answer in forums , which I cannot easily locate
Sylf
President
President

Re: pluses vs minuses of downloading newgrf files

Post by Sylf »

There really isn't any negative impact of downloading newgrf. There are a few reasons I can think of for not bundling newgrf or any other downloadable contents with the main game.

One is the license. OpenTTD is released under GPL2. Many contents use many different license, whatever license that the contentauthors decided to use. Some license, including public domain, or lack of explicit license designation, are apparently illegal in some part of the world. Even if we pick globally legal set of contents, managing all the different license is a lot of work that don't have to fall on the OpenTTD core development team.

Then there's the issue of disk space. Space is not an issue on most desktop/laptop PCs nowadays. But we are getting some rather large NewGRF with proliferation of 32 bit graphics. When we have 3GB set of graphics, that is a lot of space for mobile device with 8 or 16GB of storage. Let's not force people to download 3GB of stuff when most of that is not needed by some/many people.

Then there's the release cycle problem. OpenTTD is released whenever a new version is ready. Same goes for the downloadable contents. If we start making releases every time any component is updated, we'd see new OpenTTD release almost every day. That will make any version management a nightmare. And it'll take way too much server disk space storing each version of the release. And if we make people download these versions every day, that'll really push the server's network bandwidth.

Also, Bananas, the system behind the in-game content downloader, isn't the only place that hosts downloadable content for OpenTTD. It'll be difficult at best to gather all contents available. Then we go back to the issue of managing release of all the gathered contents.

When it comes to contents available from the in-game content downloader, downloading any missing material to connect to any server is easy. You can download any material as need arise.

So there are reasons why additional contents shouldn't be bundled with the game (at least in the official bundle - any third party are free to bundle whatever they like, as long as they are willing to live with these concerns). But that doesn't mean you should hesitate from downloading any contents you like, or curious about. They add so much to the game, and you have nothing to lose, except for maybe a few extra hours of sleep.
AndrewCarnegie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AndrewCarnegie »

thanks for reply -- while I feel like a complete moron, I have always lived by motto that the only stupid question is the unasked question -- so , here goes,

where on Earth do openTTD players use NewGRF files to locate, download, and install elect trains? I see other players using elec trains in online multi games , set to begin usually around year 1980 or so

and even when I play them, and click "yes" to introduction of elec engines, when I go inside the rail build mode, I cannot locate either elec engines, nor elec tracks

yet I see other mutli online players using elec like mad

obviously, I'm doing something wrong here

what might that be?

thanks much again
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

The menu bar has a button for rail construction, if you press it and do not release the mouse, you get a dropdown with available railtypes, where you can choose the electric one if it is available. Also note that Temperate is the only climate that has electric trains by default, in the other climates you will not get electric tracks unless you have a NewGRF loaded. And there is a setting that lets unelectrified tracks act as electrified and that also removes the electrified tracks from the menu IIRC.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
AndrewCarnegie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AndrewCarnegie »

Thanks!! the info you gave is perfect -- thanks for helping this NOOB -- I know many long-time players of online games do not like helping out Newbies, or believe newbies should easily be able to locate the answers to all of these questions

if it were that easy, using the "search function," I would not waste my or anyone else's time in posting a question to begin with

again, thanks much

now, a follow - up question: is it possible for my desktop PC (A 2013 Dell Inspirion) to lack sufficient CPU power to handle New GRF files?

I ask, because now when I try to load on to multi player games (the trainer "n.ice.org games), I cannot stay logged into game ; yesterday, I had no problems at all

seems I must need to change some sort of setting?

and finally, I hope there is one or more links on this site, with all of these "general" questions about new GRF files already answered

if someone can please provide links, I'll be more than happy to take lots of my own time , and read info other players were kind enough to make public already, thus not wasting time or space on this board -- much thanks
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'd say most likely the issues you're having with n.ice is related to their servers directly and not with any NewGRFs you've downloaded. Just comletely coincidental.

The NewGRF's are discussed in two different sections. Right here in the "Graphics Development" forum for NewGRFs that are under development or testing, and "Graphics Releases" for released versions of NewGRFs. Generally for former is used to discussed a particular NewGRF in general and the latter is for specific versions that have been released.
Dave

Post by Dave »

And to add - I'd be very surprised if your computer couldn't handle the game because of a few newgrfs loaded. Especially one that's only 2 years old. Mine is 5 and half years old and runs lovely.

EDIT: Of course, that might not be the case if you've got a little notebook rather than a full-blooded PC/Laptop!
Last edited by Dave on 03 Aug 2015 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

on the n.ice servers, you have to login in order to play as a real player ;) check out their website, how to register, and how to use your user/profile on the servers ingame

Return to “Graphics Development”