American Train Graphics Needed

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

American Train Graphics Needed

Post by TrainLover »

Dear TT-Forums,
I have recently picked up NML, but it is even harder to make graphics than to edit trains using NML. The three sets will have refit features having: historically accurate liveries, company coloured liveries, or reverse coloured liveries. I am planning to make four sets:

The North American Passenger Set:
This has all of the named trains of the United States, and Canada. It also has their corresponding liveries. For example New York Central F-units will have passenger cars painted in New York Central Livery. Same is true for the Pennsylvania Railroad, and other railroads I put. From 1900-2010. I am putting as much trains as the CLW megapack from Locomotion.

The North American Freight Set:
This has most-all freight train liveries of the US, and Canada. Will only have freight cars but in a lot of liveries.

The North American Commuter Set:
Every bus and streetcar that ever graced North American streets in their respective liveries.

North American Subway Set:
Every subway that ever was in the underground. Including: Toronto, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, Boston, and more.
Aluminum Lightweight Coach Pennsylvania RR.png
Aluminum Lightweight Coach Pennsylvania RR.png (25.48 KiB) Viewed 222 times
: These are the edits that I have done to the 2cc aluminum Lightweight Coaches to repaint them into Congressional colours.
Last edited by TrainLover on 25 Aug 2015 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: American Train Graphics Needed

Post by ISA »

As for the passenger and freight I would consider to contact authors now fairly forgotten (read: if there's no work done behind the stage) sets from US and Canada and re-code them into NML. I feel very sad that this part of the world have been bit... how to say... quiet? I hope You have a will to complete these sets and You aren't next of those people who make big words with their talk, but with no actual progress (please don't take that as a offence) :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

TrainLover wrote:North American Subway Set:
Every subway that ever was in the underground. Including: Toronto, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, Boston, and more.
... Montréal?

Good luck with this. It is most dearly needed.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

You can also have whatever American stuff I drew for the 2CC set, I'm sure Voyager One will let you use his as well. It's super easy to recolour them into real liveries with GIMP or even recolour sprites in the code.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Emperor Jake wrote:You can also have whatever American stuff I drew for the 2CC set, I'm sure Voyager One will let you use his as well. It's super easy to recolour them into real liveries with GIMP or even recolour sprites in the code.
Are the Superliners and Amfleets yours, or Voyager One's

Who are the guys who made the North American Road Vehicle Set? I need to PM them for the streetcars and buses.
Last edited by TrainLover on 18 Aug 2015 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

kamnet wrote:Talk with Dan MacK.
Also talk with Pikka, seeing that both he and DanMacK worked on NARS.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Can NML "translate" NFO into NML?
Also when I use nmlc.exe I do what it says in the tutorial at http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial/Installation to open 2ccts.grf it says "default language file 'lang\english lang' doesn't exist." It also says, "invalid start byte." What am I doing wrong? I remember grfcodec simply decoding everything!
Last edited by TrainLover on 18 Aug 2015 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Is this an North American set, or American and Canadian set? I see no mention of Canadian, Panaman etc mentioned so far.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Sylf wrote:Is this an North American set, or American and Canadian set? I see no mention of Canadian, Panaman etc mentioned so far.
I am planning to make some Canadian trains like: Canadian Pacific's The Canadian. Also I am including some VIA Rail things. I am probably including Mexican PCCs in the streetcar set and the Kansas City Lines in the freight set. KCL services Mexico. It also has the Southern Belle passenger train, and that goes to Panama.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Comm Cody wrote:
kamnet wrote:Talk with Dan MacK.
Also talk with Pikka, seeing that both he and DanMacK worked on NARS.
You can find all NARS and NARS2 sprites here, and are free to use them. Please credit them to Dan and myself.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

TrainLover wrote:Can NML "translate" NFO into NML?
Also when I use nmlc.exe I do what it says in the tutorial at http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial/Installation to open 2ccts.grf it says "default language file 'lang\english lang' doesn't exist." It also says, "invalid start byte." What am I doing wrong? I remember grfcodec simply decoding everything!
No, you cannot decode GRFs with NML, but you can check the source at the repository. If you need some help with parts of the code, just send me a message.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

TrainLover wrote:Who are the guys who made the North American Road Vehicle Set?
I have something on my PC, but not directly related with this set... also I have some not yet released locomotives... If this going along nicely I may start drawing again a bit sooner then I hoped for.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

You mean to edit a NML file you still need the old grfcodec and nforenum. Why don't they make a user interface with grfcodec and nforenum?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

TrainLover wrote:You mean to edit a NML file you still need the old grfcodec and nforenum. Why don't they make a user interface with grfcodec and nforenum?
You need a notepad or any other text editor to edit an NML file.
TrainLover wrote:Also when I use nmlc.exe I do what it says in the tutorial at http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial/Installation to open 2ccts.grf it says "default language file 'lang\english lang' doesn't exist."
It means exactly that - you need a language file.
[quote="TrainLover"=It also says, "invalid start byte." What am I doing wrong? I remember grfcodec simply decoding everything![/quote]
Make sure you don't use BOM (byte order mark) in your file. Any decent text editors (Sublime Text, Notepad++, Scite, Kate, gEdit etc) have options to pick text encoding (UTF-*) with and without BOM. (Well, they should - I haven't verified each one of those)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

TrainLover wrote:You mean to edit a NML file you still need the old grfcodec and nforenum. Why don't they make a user interface with grfcodec and nforenum?
eh, what?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

andythenorth wrote:@TrainLover I am confused by what you're attempting to do with NML. What are you attempting to do? :)
Well, apparently he put an apple in a blender, and then decided he wanted carrots instead, so now he wants to put the apple back together in its original form.

that's how blenders work, right?
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

andythenorth wrote:@TrainLover I am confused by what you're attempting to do with NML. What are you attempting to do? :)
I am trying to decode 2ccts.grf, that is the 2cc train set, in NML. I have a problem with the language files. How do you fix the language files?

Return to “Graphics Development”