Custom traintunnel entrances, exits and extra's. V0.3

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Traintunnel with eyecandy road on top

Post by Transportman »

You beat me to it :p

Just a question: What do you mean with compatibility for other railtypes like the Dutch Trackset?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Transportman wrote:You beat me to it :p

Just a question: What do you mean with compatibility for other railtypes like the Dutch Trackset?
Well I mean adding lines of code to allow vehicles of that rail types to drive through one or more of the tunnels, possibly providing another graphic for the high speed and futuristic rail types. (betuwe might not be desirable as that is a heavy freight type and not really meant for urban environments.

I would also like to provide matching track sprites in the tunnel entrance for most major track types

Actually I only coded this because it seemed a manageable place to start learning NML from. If you want to join/take over you are more than welcome as I already have mare Ideas than I could handle myself the coming months with my 'accidental' discovery of cablecars :P . I guess the way to go if we want to make it a joint venture would be to set up some kind of devzone. I am however still pretty clueless when i comes to setting up things like that as I am (kind of) a newby.

@Quast65: Thanks glad you like it, and sorry for 'hijacking' your grf :oops:

Edit: added files
Attachments
Urban_Rail_Tunnel_Portal.zip
(35.29 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Last edited by Beul on 01 Jul 2012 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Beul wrote:
Transportman wrote:You beat me to it :p

Well I mean adding lines of code to allow vehicles of that rail types to drive through one or more of the tunnels, possibly providing another graphic for the high speed and futuristic rail types. (betuwe might not be desirable as that is a heavy freight type and not really meant for urban environments.

I would also like to provide matching track sprites in the tunnel entrance for most major track types

Actually I only coded this because it seemed a manageable place to start learning NML from. If you want to join/take over you are more than welcome as I already have mare Ideas than I could handle myself the coming months with my 'accidental' discovery of cablecars :P . I guess the way to go if we want to make it a joint venture would be to set up some kind of devzone. I am however still pretty clueless when i comes to setting up things like that as I am (kind of) a newby.

@Quast65: Thanks glad you like it, and sorry for 'hijacking' your grf :oops:

Edit: added files
Ok, this is indeed a nice project to start learning NML. If you want to move to the #openttdcoop devzone, maybe read this first, because most projects work with multiple partial nml files that are made into 1 file using a makefile.

A small suggestion from my side: couple the introduction of these tracks to the introduction of the original tracks by using the introduces_railtype_list property under item_RAIL and item_ELRL (but then limit the NewGRF to Openttd 1.1 and newer, because that property is not known before that, but since you also use maintenance costs it even should be 1.2 or newer).

BTW: I am missing a license file in your zip file, I also don't know which license the graphics have.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

I would recommend to renounce the use of platform sprites. It will look ugly if used with other station sets. Use tile wide ballast or a small way for tunnel workers instead if you don't like grass in cities.

Tschö, Auge
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I have changed the graphics and sent Beul the sprites, so he can impliment them in the great railtype he coded. I don't see the need to post a GRF that changes all the tunnels anymore, because of the availability of a railtype. But if anyone wants it, let me know. Will look like this now:
Traintunnel with UK-road03.png
Traintunnel with UK-road03.png (81.65 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

It looks like the connections with the SE-side is 1px off, but I think that is an error in the UK-roads, since the corners look 1px off to me compared to the normal piece of road.
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Transportman wrote:It looks like the connections with the SE-side is 1px off, but I think that is an error in the UK-roads, since the corners look 1px off to me compared to the normal piece of road.
I also looked at that, but as far as I can see is is neither the tunnel nor the roadset. It is the edge of the tile foundation sticking out one 1px above the normal tiles. The effect is even more clear when using opengfx foundations as can be seen below. As for a solution, I could not think of one yet...
Attachments
foundation 2.PNG
foundation 2.PNG (44.47 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
foundation 3.PNG
foundation 3.PNG (22.5 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
foundations.PNG
foundations.PNG (60.35 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can provide custom foundation sprites (practically disabling the backside of the foundation to show for all tiles).

i have a feature request though: make the "platform" below the tunnel disabled by parameter
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Eddi wrote:you can provide custom foundation sprites (practically disabling the backside of the foundation to show for all tiles).

i have a feature request though: make the "platform" below the tunnel disabled by parameter
That is allready planned. I am an even worse artist than I am a coder though and Quast65 has a lot of projects going on. But supply me with sprites, and I'll code 'em. (or wait, but it could take a while before I draw them thoug)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I'm currently looking at what roads and platforms to add and checking the licenses or (if needed) asking permissions to use those sprites. So there will be coming some new graphics your way soon Beul ;-)

I have already been working however at the "no platform" option. A completely empty tunnel doesn't look very good (it is a big tunnel), so I kept a little narrow and low platform for tunnelworkers (as Auge suggested a couple of posts ago), but did change the ballast to match the OGFX-base rails, which I think looks better.

Comments and suggestions are off course still very welcome!
Traintunnel with UK-road04.png
Traintunnel with UK-road04.png (98.96 KiB) Viewed 3346 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that looks lovely :)

... except, the road looks a pixel too narrow on the "open" side of the entrance.
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Well: time for an update (again):

The following stuff has been added/updated;
-Replaced construction buttons and pointers (no more guessing where the mous is if you click the worn button)
-Some small name changes (apparently the definition "normal" is quite personal)
-Added a metro tunnel (waiting for the grfs from Quast tough) :twisted:

And last but not least:
-used that tracks (that you do not need for a tunnel grf) to add some old rusty tracks:

Eddi wrote:... except, the road looks a pixel too narrow on the "open" side of the entrance.
I see what you mean: Quast65 fix it! :p

Download still in this post: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1031574

Enjoy and keep posting bugs/ glitches/ suggestions!
Attachments
rusty tracks temperate.PNG
rusty tracks temperate.PNG (56.47 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
rusty tracks sub-tropical.PNG
rusty tracks sub-tropical.PNG (45.07 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
rusty tracks artic.PNG
rusty tracks artic.PNG (118.12 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

... except, the road looks a pixel too narrow on the "open" side of the entrance.
I see what you mean: Quast65 fix it!
Fixed! ;-)
used that tracks (that you do not need for a tunnel grf) to add some old rusty tracks
Nice work! Solves the performance errors I had. Also nice work on the other coding changes!

Update from my side:

Have been checking licences and been requesting permission to use graphics from the following sets:

PLATFORMS:

-Small maintenance platform drawn by me (GPLv2)
-OGFX (GPLv2)
-Modern Train Station Set (Permission granted)
-Canadian Station Set (Permission granted)
-Japanese Station Set (GPLv2)
-Dutch Station Set (GPLv2)
-DWE Station Set (Not sure what license, waiting for permission)

ROADS:

-OGFX (GPLv2)
-UK roads (Permission granted)
-NA roads (permission granted)
-Combined Road set (Permission granted)
-Czech road v1 (Not sure what license, waiting for permission)
-Czech road v2 (Not sure what license, waiting for permission)
-TTRS road (Not sure what license, waiting for permission)
-Japanese roads (GPLv2)

I think I have covered most of the platforms and roads that are mainly used in TT, if there are any other requests please let me know. Also if anyone has more information about the licenses of the sets that I have not yet been able to check, let me know. (especially the Czech sets, I don't know how active they are on this forum)

@Beul, I have already drawn all of the platforms inside the tunnel. I'll start working on the roads now. When I have completed them I'll send the sprites to you. (also with metro tracks)

A few screenies:

With Japan platform:
Traintunnel with UK-road07.png
Traintunnel with UK-road07.png (101.14 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
With canadian platform:
Traintunnel with UK-road06.png
Traintunnel with UK-road06.png (87.71 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
With Dutch platform:
Traintunnel with UK-road08.png
Traintunnel with UK-road08.png (89.22 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Great work on the graphics! I will also replace that foundation edge so that we do not have that one pixel line through the road. This is starting to turn out real nice!
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Quast65 wrote:Have been checking licences and been requesting permission to use graphics from the following sets:
You do realise that GPL means GPL for everything, right? As soon as one part is GPL, everything has to be GPL, so the only acceptable permission would be re-licensed as GPL (for everybody, not just this set).

-- Michael Lutz
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Michi_cc wrote:
Quast65 wrote:Have been checking licences and been requesting permission to use graphics from the following sets:
You do realise that GPL means GPL for everything, right? As soon as one part is GPL, everything has to be GPL, so the only acceptable permission would be re-licensed as GPL (for everybody, not just this set).

-- Michael Lutz
Even if it is GPL, it still always polite to ask!
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Of course it is always polite to ask. But if I understand correctly what Micci_CC meant is: in order for us to use the graphics the authors of said graphics have to agree to their work being relicensed as a whole. Witch would mean: not only permission for us use their work but for everybody else.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Beul wrote:not only permission for us use their work but for everybody else.
Correct, and not just permission to use, but specifically under the terms of the GPL license. Of course they only have to relicense only the graphics that you want to use, not the complete set where they come from.

Simply put: if you want to use pieces from a GPL license project, you new project including all pieces from elsewhere needs to be licensed GPL as well. It's viral, but it makes sure that something that is free will stay free forever an for anyone.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Yes, exactly. Combining a GPL'ed work with another work is only allowed if the end product is GPL'ed itself, which is why the GPL is often called a viral license. This means that e.g. the CanStn sprites used have to be released by the original author under GPL or a compatible license (== less restrictive license, e.g. public domain or 3-clause BSD, but not CC-BY-SA). That can of course be done implicitly by granting sufficient permission. This only applies to the graphics used of course, not whole CanStn set (the GPL isn't that viral :) ).

EDIT: Too slow :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Which is what I did, here is an example of one of the PM's I sent:
Hi XXX,

I am working together with Beul on a traintunnel-railtype with a road as eyecandy on top (to make tunnels blend in more into urban environments). Development is here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61447

We are now working on a version that provides different options so that the road on top can be matched to some of the main roadsets that are used.

We would also like to make a version that will match the XXX-road and therefor would like your permission to use sprites from that set. Also we would like our GRF to be used under the GPLv2 license, so we would also need permission for those sprites to be used under that license (and therefor could be used by others)

These are the sprites we would like to use:

{.pcx of the specific sprites we would like to use}

Kind Regards
Quast65
And also I have notified some of the developers of sets that are already GPLv2-licensed to let them know that we are using their sprites (especially major parts, like the Japan Set Tunnel), just to be polite.

Please correct me if this is the wrong way to do it.

Return to “Graphics Development”