32-bit and transparent glass

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Vector
Engineer
Engineer

32-bit and transparent glass

Post by Vector »

Couldn't find any talk about this. I'm wondering, with the game supporting 32-bit color, is it not possible to make glass truly transparent in windows of buildings and vehicles? Would alpha transparency introduce some problems there? Also, for fountains and waterways. Another related question is iridescence. Can the same windows (or bubbles) be made to show some semblance of it?
OpenTTD zombie: "Tra-a-a-ains!"
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 32-bit and transparent glass

Post by FooBar »

You just need to make sure there's something behind the transparency. So windows of vehicles and buildings will be fine, but you can't have transparent ground tiles for instance.

As for iridescence (I had to look that up :P), you can only achieve that by animation. Not all game objects can be made animated though.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Vector wrote:Couldn't find any talk about this. I'm wondering, with the game supporting 32-bit color, is it not possible to make glass truly transparent in windows of buildings and vehicles? Would alpha transparency introduce some problems there? Also, for fountains and waterways. Another related question is iridescence. Can the same windows (or bubbles) be made to show some semblance of it?
You can use the alpha layer, however remember that because the viewpoint is from the sky, in most cases you'll be seeing the floor and furniture inside the vehicle/building, and not through it. That will be part of the same sprite. There are some exceptions, the only one I can think of at the moment is the large station canopy where vehicles are visible through it.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The station sprites are semitransparent. But... It's very light, around 10%.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “Graphics Development”