[OTTD] Dutch Tracks Development (0.1.0-Alpha1 released)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

jor[D]1
Director
Director

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development Thread (Artists wanted

Post by jor[D]1 »

Can you combine the wall with catenary?

Looks very cool. Now a track with light gray ballast stones and rusty colored rails.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jor[D]1 wrote:Can you combine the wall with catenary?
The only way to do that would be by changing the pylons to match the distance track-fence. I can't change the distance track-fence because the fence sprites for both sides of the track are the same, so changing the offset on one side will make the gap on the other side equally larger/smaller. Maybe take a look at it when I have included the fences in the code*. It might be looking nice without any modifications. Another point is that when you have multiple tracks next to each other only the outer ones get fences, that is also something to take into account.

*Likely tomorrow/this week.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

No, I meant a picture of rail with both the catenary and fencing on it. I wanted to know how they look together in game.
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

A early WIP of the Betuwe-tracks...
They are very brown i think.
and the light grey ballast is missing.
Tracks_Betuwe.png
Tracks_Betuwe.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

Until now, I only recouloured the standard ones with GIMP...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jor[D]1 wrote:No, I meant a picture of rail with both the catenary and fencing on it. I wanted to know how they look together in game.
Done. They will be included in the upcoming nightly (r60). I also attached a manual build, I heard the DevZone had some troubles compiling lately.
Yoshi wrote:A early WIP of the Betuwe-tracks...
They are very brown i think.
and the light grey ballast is missing.
The attachment Tracks_Betuwe.png is no longer available

Until now, I only recouloured the standard ones with GIMP...
I also think that they look very brown. But maybe it doesn't look that brown when the ballast is added. Another thing I notice is that the - views look very dark while the | views look very light and the / and look something in between.
Attachments
dutchtracks.grf
Dutch Trackset r60M
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The DevZone issues should be resolved. It's been building nightlies again for the past couple of days.

And just a hint when doing manual builds, try "make bundle_zip". That will also package the readme and license with it.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Wow, betuwe route looks amazingly great ingame.

A "3d" wire just as the original dutch catenary set, will amek it look even better.

Or make the poles a bit higher so they fit those dutch catenary wires.

Edit:
Screen:
Oil train to germany and an empty coal train to rotterdam.

Edit2:

I think the betuwe route poles are way too small. If you place signals next to them the signals are allmost 2 times as big. Also in station it looks strange.
Attachments
Tinfingpool Transport, 26-11-2009.png
(121.1 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jor[D]1 wrote:Wow, betuwe route looks amazingly great ingame.

A "3d" wire just as the original dutch catenary set, will amek it look even better.

Edit:
Screen:
Oil train to germany and an empty coal train to rotterdam.

Edit2:

I think the betuwe route poles are way too small. If you place signals next to them the signals are allmost 2 times as big. Also in station it looks strange.
They would look nice, but I think that is something for after the tracks. I don't know who has the source sprites from the original Dutch catenary set, according to it's license it should be GPL v2, so inclusion will not be a big problem once I have the sprites.

Nice screenshot, I'm just missing a real Dutch traffic jam :p

On the size of the poles: that problem is also with the original OpenTTD poles. So that is a "problem" with OpenTTD, sizes aren't 100% correct :p
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Yoshi wrote:I tried out the other portals with the correct shape:
Tunnel_Betuwe2.png
I hope they fit better...
I'm not sure, might just be me, but it still feels like a 19th century tunnel. Does the top have to be rounded? And could the walls going up to the tunnel be more straight in stead of curved? And does it have to be dark concrete? I don't know how the betuwetunnels look like in reallife, Yoshi might have them spot on, so ignore my (hopefully) constructive criticism if so.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Transportman wrote:
jor[D]1 wrote:...

Edit2:

On the size of the poles: that problem is also with the original OpenTTD poles. So that is a "problem" with OpenTTD, sizes aren't 100% correct :p
The poles of the dutch catenary set are bigger than the default OTTD poles and they look a lot better. If you add those poles form the old catenary set to the 1500VDC track, you must also include bigger poles on the other tracks other wise it wouldn't match and give ugly results.
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

Transportman wrote:
Yoshi wrote:
Tracks_Betuwe.png
I also think that they look very brown. But maybe it doesn't look that brown when the ballast is added. Another thing I notice is that the - views look very dark while the | views look very light and the / and look something in between.
As I already said, it's a WIP of five minutes...Today or tomorrow i'll continue drawing again. :D
jor[D]1 wrote:Wow, betuwe route looks amazingly great ingame.
jor[D]1 wrote:
Transportman wrote:
jor[D]1 wrote:...
Edit2:
The poles of the dutch catenary set are bigger than the default OTTD poles and they look a lot better. If you add those poles form the old catenary set to the 1500VDC track, you must also include bigger poles on the other tracks other wise it wouldn't match and give ugly results.
I'll take a look on the Dutch Catenary...and try to edit them as well...
Quast65 wrote:
Yoshi wrote:I tried out the other portals with the correct shape:
Tunnel_Betuwe2.png
I hope they fit better...
I'm not sure, might just be me, but it still feels like a 19th century tunnel. Does the top have to be rounded? And could the walls going up to the tunnel be more straight in stead of curved? And does it have to be dark concrete? I don't know how the betuwetunnels look like in reallife, Yoshi might have them spot on, so ignore my (hopefully) constructive criticism if so.
I think, that's because it has the original OpenTTD-tunnel-shape "under it"...
I didn't visit the Betuweroute yet, i only used some photos of the internet.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Yoshi wrote: As I already said, it's a WIP of five minutes...Today or tomorrow i'll continue drawing again. :D
Take your time, gives me some time to do other things as well :p
I'll take a look on the Dutch Catenary...and try to edit them as well...
I have contacted Purno, he made the original Catenary set.
I didn't visit the Betuweroute yet, i only used some photos of the internet.
This and this one look pretty round to me. The variant with the straight walls also exist, but then you get this idea, which is not really doable in OpenTTD.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I didn't visit the Betuweroute yet, I only used some photos of the internet.
Ok, I'll see if I can find some pics for you too. I've got a little interest in this because the father of a mate of mine was the head-engineer of the betuweroute-project. Sadly his father died just before the work started and to honor him they named one of the tunneldiggingmachines after his wife (it is common practice in Holland to give tunneldiggingmachines female names).

This site has some good pics of some entrances:
http://www.nifv.nl/web/show/id=161308

EDIT: The first one of transportmans tunnels does indeed fit best into openttd. I found these ones, near Tiel:
Attachments
Tielbetuweroute.jpg
Tielbetuweroute.jpg (406.35 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Tielbetuweroute01.png
Tielbetuweroute01.png (146.87 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
Tielbetuweroute02.png
Tielbetuweroute02.png (338.67 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Is it possible to make the tunnels have more (white-ish) concrete?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Michi_cc wrote:
Transportman wrote:I don't know how nicely OpenTTD plays along, ...
Not at all. The portal can be as big as you want, but the mouth can't be bigger than the "hole" in the grass graphics. Even if that wasn't the case, such a portal would glitch all over, as the vehicles would hidden/reshown well within sight and nothing would be painted behind the opening (i.e. you'd see whatever pixels happened to be there before).

-- Michael Lutz
I don't think the glitching is that bad, see pic with quick tunnel I have drawn. The 3 trains have the same length, only sometimes it looks like a part just dissappears (middle one), but I don't think its that annoying when the train is moving. And I think if you make the tunnels look like the ones in the pics of transportman and my last pics, the fence that prevents people falling on the rails/throwing stuff on the rails will cover that also a bit up.
Attachments
tunnel01.png
tunnel01.png (22.26 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

As for the discussion on the catenary poles' height;

When I drew the Dutch Catenary, I used Michael Blunck's catenary (elrails(w).grf) as reference. The lower wire ("rijdraad") should be the same height as in elrails(w).grf. On top of that, I added the upper wire and the necessary pole-support sections.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

I made some sprites for the tracks:
Tracks_Betuwe.png
Tracks_Betuwe.png (50.82 KiB) Viewed 295 times
I'm not happy with the _ views...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

It nees more sleepers in the _ views.

For the rest, they look nice, but a bit brown (too brown for my liking). I know the TTD palette is a difficult one, but try adding some shades of gray in the mix.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I think that it needs smaller sleepers in the _ views. Furthermore the overlay in that view looks a bit too yellow to me compared with the rest of the overlays.

I also have to agree with FooBar that it looks a bit brown and has a very big contrast, but I think one or two shades of lighter brown might already improve that.

Also a more general comment: There is no need to include the ground tile. Actually, it is easier if you don't include it. Ingame it then gets the correct ground tile automatically. Of course, if you want to work with the ground tile in it, just do so, I can easily recolour the ground tile to transparent blue.
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

As you said, i prefer to work with groundtiles...
I'll delete them when i've finished...

(http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Action3/Railtypes)

Edit: Is this better?
Tracks_Betuwe2.png
Tracks_Betuwe2.png (59.79 KiB) Viewed 295 times

Return to “Graphics Development”