[OTTD] Dutch Tracks Development (0.1.0-Alpha1 released)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development Thread (On Hold)

Post by FooBar »

Transportman wrote:If there is something wrong, just let me know, it is easy to fix.
HSL and Futuristic should use class A for the speed limit, or you should map SACA resp. SAEE to those. Other than that I see no problems.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:
Transportman wrote:If there is something wrong, just let me know, it is easy to fix.
HSL and Futuristic should use class A for the speed limit, or you should map SACA resp. SAEE to those. Other than that I see no problems.
I used those labels as alternative railtype for the Betuweroute resp. ELRL, since I don't use axle weight in the set I provided the whole A-E range as 3rd letter while keeping the rest the same and SACA and SAEE thus fall under Betuweroute resp. ELRL. Is that a misinterpretation from my side on how it should be?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes, you have to provide all different axle load labels, but I was talking about speed limits and not axle load.

Train sets always define class A for the speed limit. What you do in the track set exactly is up to you, but you need to account for that fact one way or the other. The easiest way to do that is to use SACA instead of SBCA, as you have only one type of S*CA anyways. Same for SBEE: SAEE is easier.

I'm using the following railtypetable in the train set. Not all different axle load classes will be defined trains for. For instance metros all have an axle weight of 11 or 12 tonnes, so they will all be in the same class (either B or C, I haven't figured that out yet).

Code: Select all

railtypetable {
    unelectrified_A: [SAAN, RAIL],
    unelectrified_B: [SABN, RAIL],
    unelectrified_C: [SACN, RAIL],
    unelectrified_D: [SADN, RAIL],
    unelectrified_E: [SAEN, RAIL],
    DC_A: [SAAD, ELRL],
    DC_B: [SABD, ELRL],
    DC_C: [SACD, ELRL],
    DC_D: [SADD, ELRL],
    DC_E: [SAED, ELRL],
    AC_A: [SAAA, ELRL],
    AC_B: [SABA, ELRL],
    AC_C: [SACA, ELRL],
    AC_D: [SADA, ELRL],
    AC_E: [SAEA, ELRL],
    dual_A: [SAAE, ELRL],
    dual_B: [SABE, ELRL],
    dual_C: [SACE, ELRL],
    dual_D: [SADE, ELRL],
    dual_E: [SAEE, ELRL],
    metro_A: [SAA3, MTRO, "3RDR"],
    metro_B: [SAB3, MTRO, "3RDR"],
    metro_C: [SAC3, MTRO, "3RDR"],
    metro_D: [SAD3, MTRO, "3RDR"],
    metro_E: [SAE3, MTRO, "3RDR"]
}
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

FooBar wrote: DC_A: [SAAD, ELRL],
i'd suggest [SAAD, SAAE, ELRL] here, because not all railsets will differentiate between DC/AC.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Like Yoshi said, that is a game restriction. You can't have two tracktypes on the same tile, OpenTTD converts the latest one to the already placed one.
Pfew, glad I asked before I had laid down all my tracks nice and cosy next to each other ;-) Luckily still had room to keep some space between the tracks when they go vertical, so my railsystem is Dutch trackset ready :D

Thnx for the tips guys!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Eddi wrote:
FooBar wrote: DC_A: [SAAD, ELRL],
i'd suggest [SAAD, SAAE, ELRL] here, because not all railsets will differentiate between DC/AC.
Good idea. I must have overlooked that, thanks!
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:Yes, you have to provide all different axle load labels, but I was talking about speed limits and not axle load.

Train sets always define class A for the speed limit. What you do in the track set exactly is up to you, but you need to account for that fact one way or the other. The easiest way to do that is to use SACA instead of SBCA, as you have only one type of S*CA anyways. Same for SBEE: SAEE is easier.
I see, so you are saying that I should make Universal SAEE and set alternative railtypes SAXE with X=B,C,D and for HSL SACA with alternatives SABA and SAAA, while Betuwe is SAEA and will have SADA as alternative? Just to be sure before I modify it in the code.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development (Artists Wanted) (On H

Post by FooBar »

Hmmm, wait. You may have had it correctly after all and I may have been sleeping. Those different values for the axle load may have had me confused.

Let's start with a clean slate for a minute here... I've written the following ignoring all prior knowledge, with all alternatives listed.

Unelectrified: RAIL, SAAN, SABN, SACN, SADN, SAEN
Yard (Universal): ELRL, SAAE, SABE, SACE, SADE, SAEE
Futuristic (Universal): SBAE, SBBE, SBCE, SBDE, SBEE
1500V DC: SAAD, SABD, SACD, SADD, SAED
Betuweroute (25kV AC): SAAA, SABA, SACA, SADA, SAEA
HSL (25kV AC): SBAA, SBBA, SBCA, SBDA, SBEA
Metro: SAA3, SAB3, SAC3, SAD3, SAE3

So in the end it appears that you have done it correctly after all. Sorry for the confusion :oops:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:Hmmm, wait. You may have had it correctly after all and I may have been sleeping. Those different values for the axle load may have had me confused.

Let's start with a clean slate for a minute here... I've written the following ignoring all prior knowledge, with all alternatives listed.

Unelectrified: RAIL, SAAN, SABN, SACN, SADN, SAEN
Yard (Universal): ELRL, SAAE, SABE, SACE, SADE, SAEE
Futuristic (Universal): SBAE, SBBE, SBCE, SBDE, SBEE
1500V DC: SAAD, SABD, SACD, SADD, SAED
Betuweroute (25kV AC): SAAA, SABA, SACA, SADA, SAEA
HSL (25kV AC): SBAA, SBBA, SBCA, SBDA, SBEA
Metro: SAA3, SAB3, SAC3, SAD3, SAE3

So in the end it appears that you have done it correctly after all. Sorry for the confusion :oops:
Doesn't matter, it is confusing stuff, all those letters :p

But it is good that we arrive at the same conclusion, then we interpret the spec the same.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

As of tomorrow's nightly (r555), the Dutch Train Set will fully support this track set and any other similar track set following the standardized railtype scheme. Unless I made a mistake somewhere that is :)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

It has been silent for quite some time regarding this set, I know, but I'm going to try to get a completely playable release (with different graphics for different tracks) before I'm going on my holiday. I'm considering to look at different track sets with a GPL v2 license and see if it is possible to reuse some graphics.

Do people agree/disagree with this approach, have suggestions which tracks would fit in, want to draw their own tracks, or anything else, please give comments.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

I think this is a wise decision. dind't nutracks also used from other sets.

If possible I would say you drop those ugly betuwe tracks (except catenarypoles, walls etc.)
And use the graphics from nutracks
Use the medium speed rails from for betuwe.
Highspeed for HSL
and low speed for Classic lines and unelectrified.
The very lowspeed could go with yard tracks
And very highspeed for futuristic

don't konw, but can you include harbor tracks too? The match the ground of ISR to make nice rail networks inside ISR harbor GRF's
Harbor tracks could be like Yard, but without overhead lines.

For metro i suggest the metro tracks from purno.

If I'm right Nutracks is released under GPL so you should be able to use those without problem.

Other thing, use the catenary from the dutch catenary GRF. and make the betuwe poles a bit larger so they support those "3D" wires.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jor[D]1 wrote:I think this is a wise decision. dind't nutracks also used from other sets.

If possible I would say you drop those ugly betuwe tracks (except catenarypoles, walls etc.)
And use the graphics from nutracks
Use the medium speed rails from for betuwe.
Highspeed for HSL
and low speed for Classic lines and unelectrified.
The very lowspeed could go with yard tracks
And very highspeed for futuristic

don't konw, but can you include harbor tracks too? The match the ground of ISR to make nice rail networks inside ISR harbor GRF's
Harbor tracks could be like Yard, but without overhead lines.

For metro i suggest the metro tracks from purno.

If I'm right Nutracks is released under GPL so you should be able to use those without problem.

Other thing, use the catenary from the dutch catenary GRF. and make the betuwe poles a bit larger so they support those "3D" wires.
The final goal is in to have different graphics than other sets, this is more a temporary solution to get at least a release that is completely usable. Therefore the betuwe tracks stay in. Of course, if someone makes an improved/different version, inclusion will not be a problem.

On the harbor tracks: I think it is better to make that a different set. There is a bit of work on that.

For the other tracks I will see how it looks, has been some time since I played :p

NuTracks is indeed GPL v2.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

On the harbor tracks: I think it is better to make that a different set. There is a bit of work on that.
Beul is on holiday until mid-august, so work is stalled on that for now. Adding those tracks into the GRF he and I are developing is just an extra, because our GRF is focused on the tunnels of the railtypes and they will be universal rail.

Sadly I don't have those railgraphics available, so if you want to include them in your set now, they have to be drawn.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Quast65 wrote:
Beul is on holiday until mid-august, so work is stalled on that for now. Adding those tracks into the GRF he and I are developing is just an extra, because our GRF is focused on the tunnels of the railtypes and they will be universal rail.

Sadly I don't have those railgraphics available, so if you want to include them in your set now, they have to be drawn.
Wish I had my holiday already :(. My point is that I think the harbor tracks fit better in a separate GRF.

@jor[D]1: I looked at the list and a short peek in OpenTTD to see how the tracks look, I agree mostly with the list, but I think the low speed fits better with yard tracks because of the used ballast. Don't know if it then is better to use the very low speed rail with classical/unelectrified lines, or just leave that as the baseset tracks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I agree. The harbour tiles are not Dutch per se. One may want to use them in combination with other track sets too, if they're put in this set that will be a bit complicated.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development (Artists Wanted)

Post by Transportman »

I just pushed the graphics for HSL and Futuristic to the DevZone, I hope to do the other tracks somewhere this week.

[EDIT]But first I have to fix the errors the DevZone trows at me, it doesn't compile at the DevZone, but it does on my own system[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]Errors fixed, there is a nightly available now, containing the graphics for HSL and Futuristic tracks[/EDIT2]
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development (Artists Wanted)

Post by Transportman »

Keep your fingers crossed, if I did everything right, r85 is fully playable with different graphics for different tracks (excluding Unelectrified and 1500V DC, these will use the baseset tracks for now). If I did something wrong, it becomes a few revisions later :p
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development (Fully Playable versio

Post by Transportman »

I attached a manual build to the first post, since the DevZone hasn't build it for some reason while the changes are in the repo for some days already. It is fully playable, but some minor things might not be completely correct. The naming of the tracks in the different menus is the same, but I have to see if it makes sense in each menu (already has an issue on the bug tracker). Also sprite alignment might be wrong in some cases, and other things might be incorrect, so please report those issues to the bug tracker.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development (Fully Playable versio

Post by jor[D]1 »

By the asdruk it says: Asdruk Middelmaig (Klasse C)

The traxx says somthiong about usage with Plan W. instead of ICR
It's also used a lot for freight in NL. and the Benelux livery is the NMBS livery. Also commonly seen in freighttrains to NL

The blue "onderlosser" is an Fccpps
View my (train)pictures on Flickr

Return to “Graphics Development”