Housing as Industries 0.1.1

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Concept: Housing blocks as industries

Post by Emperor Jake »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:Assuming this project is not moribund...

I was wondering if it could be coded so

a) The industry looked like an industrial shed
b) It wasn't limited to close to towns

That was I could place it next to an exiting industry and then transport "workers" to and from the factories

That is an intriguing idea :)

Some industries (in ECS at least) already accept passengers at some tiles. It would be interesting to actually transport passengers to an industry that is located far from towns. However, what would stop people from putting a bunch of these sheds in the middle of nowhere to conjure up free passengers where it's convenient :twisted:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote:However, what would stop people from putting a bunch of these sheds in the middle of nowhere to conjure up free passengers where it's convenient :twisted:
"cb28 would stop that" is what would stop that :twisted:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Is it possible to make it so that an industry can only be placed near another industry?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

IIRC, yes. In FIRS for example, the sawmill can only be built within proximity of a forest, you can't just put them out in the middle of nowhere to milk a long-haul logging run out of it.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Industries can be persuaded to locate near other industries. To prevent breaking chains, some care has to be taken to ensure that the industry isn't too hard to locate.

@Kamnet - your FIRS example is incorrect btw :wink:
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I have a thought on these housing blocks:

In Waukegan here, there is a low income apartment complex (Or, compound, by all the tight security and riff-raff its is known for). It generates a lot of passengers for our transit agency here. Enough passengers, that a bus can pull in empty, and leave full quite often!

Funny, the mockup using the coal mine graphics, are not too far off for some low-income housing buildings.

The high-rise apartments look similar to two other state-run buildings in Waukegan. These buildings are about 20 stories high, and have mostly all studio apartments inside. Every time I am over there (Being a good but inexpensive PC tech means I get lots of business from those with limited income), I am amazed by all the units in the building.

As for closure and opening of these housing "industries" in game, that would be realistic too, as back in the 1970s-ish, many such low income complexes did close up in Chicago, and their tenants moved up here where low income housing became available.
Without Trains America Stops

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Update

Post by Emperor Jake »

So this has received a (very) minor update :D

- The FIRS conflict bug has been fixed
- I've added a readme and changelog

This NewGRF is now available on Bananas

Here's the source code for version 0.1.0
Attachments
housing-ind-0.1.0-src.tar
(66 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Housing as Industries 0.1.0

Post by Emperor Jake »

Another minor update!

There is now a parameter that allows you to disable the placement restrictions :D

Here is the source code. As before, the GRF will be on Bananas. Enjoy!
Attachments
housing-ind-0.1.1-src.tar
(68.5 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
kamnet

Re: Housing as Industries 0.1.1

Post by kamnet »

I started up a game server and included HaI. I started the server in 1850. Players quickly discovered that this was a cheap way to quickly build up passengers without having to grow towns, especially in these very early games where towns don't see a lot of explosive growth (especially if you replace default towns with Early Mod versions).

If you still have interest in working on this, some suggestions:

1. Setting a few industry "eras" and types. My suggestions are pre-1900s houses and small apartments, 1900-1950 small houses and apartments, 1950-1980 small and and large apartments, and 1980-forward large apartments and hotels. Settings to enable or disable following of eras.

2. Also accept food and water since >3 input cargoes now available since OpenTTD 1.10.0. Maybe consider recyclables as an output for FIRS 3/4.

3. Parameter for costs (free, cheap, expensive) for usage in various ways. In my server game HaI costs around $130k to build while FIRS Hotel, which outputs a lot less traffic, is over $500k. In a sandbox game you might not want costs at all, but in a competitive game you may want it to be on-part with building other industries.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind if/when I update this set. I've already got plans for different eras of housing similar to what you said :)
einsteinyh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by einsteinyh »

Hi! Have you maybe thought of updating/revamping the GRF recently?
As a long time user I've liked it a lot, but it'd be nice to have some more options to play with like the ones suggested by kamnet.
Thanks.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

einsteinyh wrote: 10 Oct 2022 04:03 Hi! Have you maybe thought of updating/revamping the GRF recently?
As a long time user I've liked it a lot, but it'd be nice to have some more options to play with like the ones suggested by kamnet.
Thanks.
Hey, thanks :) I haven't thought much about this lately as I've been busy with my other projects (SHARK, XIS, JP+ Engines) But I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually.

Return to “Graphics Development”