Australian Town Names (WIP)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Australian Town Names (WIP)

Post by Emperor Jake »

Hi everyone,
Here is my first attempt at NML code, and also my first town names set. After looking at MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator, I was inspired to make my own. The code of the Australian Town Name Generator is heavily based off MinchinWeb's code, but I have modified it quite heavily, in order to acommodate Aboriginal style names. I re-used many of the English names, prefixes and suffixes, while removing the Canadian influences such as "Medicine Hat" :lol: , animals like "elk, moose", etc, and various Native American names.
Of course, it's not finished yet, but mainly because I haven't cleaned up the code, and there may still be a few Alberta town names still sneaking around. (not counting the ones that are generic enough to be plausible in Australia) So please let me know if there's a weird name generated, or anything that doesn't seem like it belongs in Australia :wink:

Edit 2011-07-22: Updated GRF
Attachments
Samples (outdated)
Samples (outdated)
austownnames.png (176.98 KiB) Viewed 869 times
downunder.grf
The GRF (version 0.1, 2011-07-22)
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
austownnames.tar
Source (version 0.1, 2011-07-22)
(70 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 22 Aug 2011 11:23, edited 2 times in total.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Australian Town Names

Post by oberhümer »

I found "Little Caribou" in that picture somewhere.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

See, that's why it's not done yet. I'll release it as soon as all of the things like tat are ironed out :P
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Maybe replace "Caribou" with "Wallaby" ;)

So, will this also include some actual Aussie place names (not large cities per say, for some reason my GCSE IT Project flooded back into my mind and the town of Toowoomba was the first thing that popped in my head when I read this thread title) as well as the generic-but-Aussie sounding names?
MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Australian Town Names (WIP)

Post by MinchinWeb »

Jake, I'm excited to see what my little creation has spawned :D I looked through your code and didn't see anything too crazy, but I've never been to Australia, so I'm not a good judge of what passes as 'normal' down under.

Do you have many pines in Australia? (line 2762)
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

SquireJames wrote:So, will this also include some actual Aussie place names
Yes, there are already quite a few in there, and some real place names may be randomly generated, even!
MinchinWeb wrote:Do you have many pines in Australia?
Either mainly in plantations, or not the kind you're used to :wink: But just because it's not native (or even exists here) doesn't mean a place can't be called that. For example, there's an Oak Flats near where I live, and not a (true) oak in sight. (although the have been introduced)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

So anyway, I've refined the GRF a bit; removed a few more things that would be unusual in Australia or just plain sound weird. It may not be completely polished yet, but I will upload it to Bananas. Get the source and GRF on the first page :)
Ecse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ecse »

Hey Emperor Jake,

Is it still being worked on? It's looking good, just a few unusual names left, like Salamanca and St Louis/Virginia. And interestingly, my map has a town called "Wheat" in it :D

Return to “Graphics Development”