Old sprites of a never coded game...

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

verdennis
Engineer
Engineer

Old sprites of a never coded game...

Post by verdennis »

Hello!

I want to show you something from old days in the mid-90s, when I still was a student and I and two of my friends planned to make an own train-transport game influenced by games like railroad- or transport tycoon. We wanted to make a game where you have to built local German railroad-network with up to four different rail-gauges (600, 750, 1000 and 1435mm gauge) in the time period between ~1880 and ~1970.

We never managed to come along with coding, but I still have some tile-sprites which I drawed and want to show you now. I donate them to anybody in this forum who can still use them for TTD-purpose or whatsoever. Unfortunately the sprites have just a simple 16-color-sceme and do not have exactly the same size as TTD-tiles need. But maybe they will give you at least some creative impulses?

A first example of houses, industries and tilesize will give you the following picture:
old grafics.PNG
old grafics.PNG (17.11 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
An example of what was planned as railtype-system:
rails-example.PNG
rails-example.PNG (23.99 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Here the 600mm-gauge-system (the uncountable side-track-elements have never been finished):
0600mm gauge.PNG
(174.51 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Further parts please see below...
Last edited by verdennis on 21 Oct 2010 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
verdennis
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Old sprites of a never coded game...

Post by verdennis »

...Part II:

The 750mm-gauge-system (look at the smooth 2 tile-dam- and -cutting-system to climb a hill, a feature I still miss in TTD):
0750mm gauge.PNG
(179.24 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
The 1000mm-gauge-tracks need a 3 tile-dam or cutting:
1000mm gauge.PNG
(205.68 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
The standard gauge tracks finally need a 4 tile-dam or cutting:
1435mm gauge.PNG
(238.83 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
...For further stuff please see below.
Last edited by verdennis on 21 Oct 2010 02:39, edited 1 time in total.
verdennis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by verdennis »

...And now the last part:

The trains are too big for TTD and even for the proposed game. I never drawed any wagons, but only locomotives and railbuses of German local railway origin:
narrow+standard-gauge locomotives.PNG
narrow+standard-gauge locomotives.PNG (41.31 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Finally some more houses and an overview of the proposed topography of the game (with city-walls!):
houses and topography.PNG
(77.56 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
I hope you like my work, good luck with it!

Regards,

verdennis.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Interesting work, especially the locomotives and the town houses. Whenever I have some more time, I should try to complete my "middle European" building set. The starting point seems to be quite close to yours.
Hunpool Bridge.png
Hunpool Bridge.png (34.37 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
regards
Michael
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Those are some extremely nice graphics, and it makes me sad that the game never was made. Especially the different ramps would've been amazing. Very impressive indeed, and most probably very usable for a TTD set, if not an entire graphics replacement.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I love the idea of town walls! That's something someone should definitely try to add to OpenTTD (or at least as a newobject, so we can build one ourselves for the looks)
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I might have a play with those at some point, especially the town houses... It should be quite easy to write some scripts to spice them up the the 256 colours of OpenTTD...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cmoiromain wrote:I love the idea of town walls! That's something someone should definitely try to add to OpenTTD (or at least as a newobject, so we can build one ourselves for the looks)
They are on my todo list as newobjects. 8)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

wallyweb wrote:
cmoiromain wrote:I love the idea of town walls! That's something someone should definitely try to add to OpenTTD (or at least as a newobject, so we can build one ourselves for the looks)
They are on my todo list as newobjects. 8)
Wally as for the new objects! My vacation starts and if I have left some time over from CanSet drawings I probably produce some graphics to Your newobject.grf file if thats ok and they fit in Your set as I don't want to crate a new grf, as it has been discussed somewhere else!
Edit: wrong theard it seems, should have post into Wally topic... dohh nvm me :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

ISA wrote:Edit: wrong theard it seems, should have post into Wally topic... dohh nvm me :)
I replied in that other thread here 8)
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Actually with a little effort you can use most of your graphics with simutrans. There is currently a "comic" pak set, where some, if not many of the houses may match. (Also starting a set entirely of you houses and engines is not very difficult ... ) I will post a link to this in our forum.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
sojo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sojo »

Looks nice.

We could make a test for the size.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo
Visit Simutrans in German: http://www.simutrans.de

Return to “Graphics Development”