32Bpp Graphics Pack (13/03/2010)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

dariozen
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 32Bpp Graphics Pack (13/03/2010)

Post by dariozen »

hello guys....Excuse me if i'm offtopic...i wanted know if is possible with this version of TT to join online others server?Coz i noticed that i'm not allowed to do it coz my version is different than others used online...In fact i think that is requested the version 1.0.3..So my question is this..is there a chance of make compatible this version with the last used online?thanks
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

dariozen wrote:hello guys....Excuse me if i'm offtopic...i wanted know if is possible with this version of TT to join online others server?Coz i noticed that i'm not allowed to do it coz my version is different than others used online...In fact i think that is requested the version 1.0.3..So my question is this..is there a chance of make compatible this version with the last used online?thanks
A modified 1.0.3 is not 1.0.3. And OpenTTD is only compatible with the exact same version - for good reasons. The least is not that people then don't complain "I have here 1.0.3 and ... goes wrong. Please fix this!" while it actually is a patched version and none of the devs business to fix that. That'd be plainly annoying.

If you know what you're doing you might fake a version. But distributing it in a compiled form... strongly discouraged and I won't dwell on it here.
Li-An
Engineer
Engineer

another noob

Post by Li-An »

OK... I'm sorry, I've read the official page and ALL the posts of this subject ... and did not succeed in seeing these new graphics. I've got Win7.

First question: is this pack compatible with OpenTTD 1.04 ? I will suppose it is because I did not read anything about incompatibility.

1. I install OTTD 1.04 in e:\jeux\OpenTTD (game folder)
I got a \data subfolder containing \opengfx and \opensfx so it's cool

2. I download fullpack_12-03-10.zip. It's sait "extract the file in the \data subfolder. I look into this file and I can see a "Data" folder so I suppose I have to copy all the files in the \data subfolder of my game.
My data folder looks like this now:

3. I download 32bpp_extra-nightly-r39.zip file. Here begins problems.
I can see this
Looks like a mess. A .tar file, another /32bpp folder... Well. Just put everything into the \data folder.
Here how it looks now:

4. Let's take a look at my openttd.cfg file. I change the blitter and the cache size.

5. Launching the game and create a new game. Well, the same classic graphics.

6. Let's go into the NewGRF parameters.
Add > gresley_a4.grf & jubilee.grf and 32bppExtraNewGRFnightlyr39
Apply
Create New Game. Nothing changed...

7. Take a bazooka. Fire on my brand new computer.
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

I have a similar problem. I have downloaded the 32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2010-10-01.tar and with Extra-Zoom-Levels it works fine. With a "normal" version (r20834) I can see streets and some houses in 32 bpp but not the same sprites as in the EZ-version... Why?
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: another noob

Post by GeekToo »

Li-An wrote: First question: is this pack compatible with OpenTTD 1.04 ? I will suppose it is because I did not read anything about incompatibility.
The problem is indeed that you did not read: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=846863#p846863
Take a look at the first post, and check the letters in the banner (the white letters in the blue titlebar), or if that is too large, read the first sentence, esp. the following words: with FULLZOOM support.
Trunk, nor 1.04 does support fullzoom, so the answer is no, it is not compatible.
Li-An wrote: 3. I download 32bpp_extra-nightly-r39.zip file. Here begins problems.
I can see this
Looks like a mess. A .tar file, another /32bpp folder... Well. Just put everything into the \data folder.
Looks like a mess indeed, but created by yourself probably. The zip file only contains a tar file and a doc directory. Only thing you really need is the tar file (put it in the data dir, no need to extract the tar)
Li-An wrote: Here how it looks now:
you can remove the r28 zip file, and the 32bpp-extra subdir.

But as said above, you'll need the extra zoom patch, binaries also available at openttdcoop.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Dwight, is it the dev pack or the standard pack?
Li-An
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Li-An »

Thank you GeekToo. It works now. Like you said, it did not realize the importance of the openttd-32bpp-ez-r20739-windows-win32.zip file. I did download it but forgot it, thinking it was the same files as the "official" installer. I did read and read the page but it's not easy to understand what is exactly asked when you are not used with the concept (and I am old enough to have fought with autoexec.bat and config.sys files !).
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

GeekToo wrote:Dwight, is it the dev pack or the standard pack?
The standard pack. In the meantime I tried the dev pack and still some sprites are missing in the trunk version (trees, faces, street depots...)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Ok Li-An, good to hear it works for you now. I understand it can be confusing, and my unfriendlyness was not something personal, but the result of a lot of users that cannot read, sorry for that.

Dwight, the standard pack should work for trunk version, so maybe you should report it in the appropriate thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47907
icefiresr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by icefiresr »

Hello guys :)

Can please someone help me with this pack?

I downloaded 1.0.4 from main page and i am trying to make the pack to work.

Can someone please correct these statements and answer my questions please? :cry:

1. the 1.0.4 does not have full zoom support. Which version should i download then? I can find only links from 1.0.4 on the main page.

2. i unpacked everything fine from the self-exe installer, but even with the newest Beta version of 7zip, files like trg1r, trgcr, trgh have 0 bytes. Downloaded them 5 separate times. What is wrong there?

3. finally, when i try to use the GRF file listed in the in-game menu and hitting Apply, there is no new graphic after starting the game (obvious, it has to do with other two points).

Please can you help me step-by-step? I am trying to solve this like for 2 and a half hours now and reading the first post all over again.
Li-An
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Li-An »

You must not use the last official release but the one that support Zoom mode: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=846863#p846863
gives the link to this special version (first link).
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

That is a pretty old version, better use this link for the latest binaries of the patch: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez/LATEST/
icefiresr wrote:
2. i unpacked everything fine from the self-exe installer, but even with the newest Beta version of 7zip, files like trg1r, trgcr, trgh have 0 bytes. Downloaded them 5 separate times. What is wrong there?
Dont untar the tar files, the trg1r are symbolic links to make it work for both basesets, so nothings wrong, it's supposed to be that way.
icefiresr wrote: 3. finally, when i try to use the GRF file listed in the in-game menu and hitting Apply, there is no new graphic after starting the game (obvious, it has to do with other two points).
What is THE GRF file?
icefiresr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by icefiresr »

GeekToo wrote:That is a pretty old version, better use this link for the latest binaries of the patch: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez/LATEST/
Thank you, but can you be more specific? What should i download exactly? In which folder should it be put? Too much files, my head´s gonna explode!
Li-An wrote:You must not use the last official release but the one that support Zoom mode: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=846863#p846863
gives the link to this special version (first link).
Will try that. But i rather get the more younger version.

EDIT:
nevermind, i got it to work :)

thank you for leading me in the right direction, but man, it is a bit hard to get it to work, but now i can offer my friends a regular self-made version :D
Li-An
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Li-An »

I understand you as it took a long time for me to make it work. I think the main problem is that the official page gives the impression that the last version will work with Zoom mode and it's not true.
icefiresr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by icefiresr »

Well, that is true, but not all the way.

Here is my advice with installing it:
1. get openttd-32bpp-ez-r20861-windows-win32.zip for 32bit Windows here http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez/LATEST/ or the file openttd-32bpp-ez-r20861-windows-win64.zip for your 64bit Windows
2. install it
3. download and install Open versions for the graphics and sound:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opensfx
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/openmsx
4. download the baseset from here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LU6G1K54
5. extract it ONCE
6. put the extracted file (don´t extract it once more!) in your game DATA folder
7. play the game

I bet this will help some newbs like me.

NEW PROBLEMS:
-the music won´t run. I put in in the GM folder, selected in game, but it´s just skipping the playlist songs by lightspeed.
-some textures are no 32Bpp. Like trees, farms. Am i doing something wrong?
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

i suggest that instead of the megaupload site, you download one of the downloads from here:
http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-nightlies/

they are the official packs and, while perhaps not as complete as your one, the graphics (mostly) work properly and include all zoom levels

also, not all graphics appear as 32bpp as, suprisingly enough, they haven't been drawn yet ;)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
icefiresr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by icefiresr »

Lord Aro i am gonna try that out, thank you. Any solving on the music issue?

BTW how do i install that pack you mentioned? I put it in the DATA folder as a TAR, but nothing changed in-game wise :/
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Isn't your installation guide about the same as what is described here:
http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels ?

Maybe we should make that more visible here on the forum?
icefiresr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by icefiresr »

I was following it word by word. Don´t worry.

But i can not get pass this one:
Settings, we need to change 2 settings manually in "openttd.cfg" (Note: If you used the Game files Pack, you can skip the settings step)
Find "openttd.cfg" and open it in your favorite text editor (notepad for example)
And change the following two strings, Both will be located under [misc].
Set sprite_cache_size to at least 64 to prevent out of sprite memory errors
Set blitter to 32bpp-optimized or add "blitter = 32bpp-optimized" in the .cfg file. (This will make it default)
I don´t have any config files.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Luckily, that section can be removed, because some time ago I modified the patch so those settings are forced ingame, to make it easier for users.

Return to “Graphics Development”