How about a RRT industries set?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you like a Railroad Tycoon industries set for OTTD?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 39

oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

How about a RRT industries set?

Post by oberhümer »

I very much enjoyed playing Railroad Tycoon, especially the industries and industry chains seemed very natural and just complex enough. In OTTD, the basic industry chains are a little too simple, but the current newgrf sets a bit too complicated again(and the map just gets spammed with industries). So I thought, how about porting the Railroad Tycoon industries to OpenTTD?
(Don't ask me to do it, I'm busy enough and have not coded any industries yet.)
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Valentijn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How about a RRT industries set?

Post by Valentijn »

This is so cool. I've been looking for that poster for weeks now!

Do you have the other side of it as well?

EDIT: Here they are: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/xtras/xtras5.htm
Last edited by Valentijn on 06 Jan 2010 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

ok, that was good for everyone who doesn't know the RRT industry chains...
I actually meant the Railroad Tycoon 2 industries, 'cause that's what I played.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

With this I think this could be a good project for a coder, most of that could simply re-use existing graphics, eg coal mine, ect, I'm sure that if someone gets a good coding start on this project, any new graphics would come pouring in, I'm not familiar with the RT2 chain, but I can presume its similar, I'd like to see this in game.
Valentijn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Valentijn »

Great, I am really happy because I recentlyordered and received RRT3, but the current edition doesn't have the poster.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

...most of that could simply re-use existing graphics.
Possibly even original RT2/3 graphics?(from screenshots?)
There would probably be copyright issues, though...

lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

neg wrote:
...most of that could simply re-use existing graphics.
Possibly even original RT2/3 graphics?(from screenshots?)
There would probably be copyright issues, though...
Unfortunately yes, however they would make a good drawing base for artists to base their work off.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Well, as mentioned, a few modifications and presto! No more problems. Possibly slightly modify names too?

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

neg wrote:Well, as mentioned, a few modifications and presto! No more problems. Possibly slightly modify names too?
I suppose you are not allowed to make a derivative work. I'd suggest you to contact the RT2 copyright holder and ask the permission to use their graphics.
Image Image Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

George wrote:
neg wrote:Well, as mentioned, a few modifications and presto! No more problems. Possibly slightly modify names too?
I suppose you are not allowed to make a derivative work. I'd suggest you to contact the RT2 copyright holder and ask the permission to use their graphics.
Good suggestion from George. It might be worth knowing that the copyright holder is currently valued at $2bn, and might not be that bothered about talking to you.

Or you could go to Turbo Squid and just pay for similar 3D models to those used by RT2. Then you could render them, scale them down, and convert them to the TTD palette. It might cost you up to $200 per model though.

:shock:
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

umm...
Don't ask me to do it, I'm busy enough and have not coded any industries yet.
Just to clear things up.

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

neg wrote:umm...
Don't ask me to do it, I'm busy enough and have not coded any industries yet.
Just to clear things up.
As soon as you get official permission from RT2 copyright holder it would be an easy task to find a coder :roll:

EDIT: I think you would not find a person, who would like to contact the RT2 copyright holder, here
Image Image Image Image
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

i dont see what the point, there is already a few industry sets like FIRS
i think time can be better spent by improving current ones or even better make scenarios for it
because in the end all those pretty production chains are just a world class BS after a random world generator shake down.

unless its a about improving a 1800-1900 time frame, in which case its a great idea but for this there is no need for RRT industry's but a little research and a lot of work.
so if you interested in 1850 set i would suggest may be working with 'Bad_Brett' here is current eye poping project and a Screenshot
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

neob wrote:i dont see what the point...i think time can be better spent by improving current ones
I don't think there's much risk that anyone is going to spend time on this set. Two people have said it's a good idea, neither is prepared to do any work for it, but they are happy to volunteer other people's time :roll: I think this idea will die quietly :twisted:

For what it's worth, FIRS is actually pretty much inspired by RT2 and RT3 - that's why I knew the link to the RT3 cargo-chain image :)

FIRS 'basic' version should fill the gap between default industries and complex chains. Not coded yet, but I am working on it.
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

andythenorth wrote:
neob wrote:i dont see what the point...i think time can be better spent by improving current ones
I don't think there's much risk that anyone is going to spend time on this set. Two people have said it's a good idea, neither is prepared to do any work for it, but they are happy to volunteer other people's time :roll: I think this idea will die quietly :twisted:

For what it's worth, FIRS is actually pretty much inspired by RT2 and RT3 - that's why I knew the link to the RT3 cargo-chain image :)

FIRS 'basic' version should fill the gap between default industries and complex chains. Not coded yet, but I am working on it.
actually i do hope some ppl will take on 1850 project, its will be a very nice change of pace. (for the users and the GFX developers)

as for 'FIRS basic' its like you read my mind, its exactly what i wanted for a normal map, a bit more than the original but not overwhelmingly to much!
because right now i see FIRS is scenario exclusive, the world gen just cannt handle a smart chain placement and without i feel its just to much even on minimum # of industry's.

by the way i seen some other packs adding support to FIRS, you should consider a pack release 8)
also is there any chance i can subvert you to add 32Bpp support in the future :o

Return to “Graphics Development”