[OTTD] Britrains (British Trains for OTTD)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Britrains (British Trains for OTTD)

Post by Leanden »

The arrangement of the sprites isnt difficult, its just time consuming, but I plan to take everything we have to convert it to the new style. I know this decision has somewhat alienated the existing contributors, but as this project as come to a stand still, it seems like something needs to be done, and i'll be sure to push this with my own work, even if that means doing it all by myself.

If anyone does want to assist, i'll be sure to show them how i'm taking the existing sprites to convert them to the new scale.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Doorslammer wrote:But this latest move is poorly thought out. A ridiculous scale and more views to draw? Great. We'll be lucky to see any coders come back now.
So make use of the GPL and fork the set. It's one of the reasons why some of us push sets to use GPL, so this kind of disagreement can be done without the working literally being lost to insufficiently-restrictive licenses.

If you disagree with the direction this is going, and you aren't prepared to fork, then you probably don't care enough either way. And if you don't care enough either way, then...well you don't really care :)

(this is a general 'you', not a specific Doorslammer 'you')

**It's often said that forks are bad, but I have no empirical evidence to support that. And for any evidence, there'll be counter-evidence, and we're doing pixels not science, so probably best not to worry about it too much.
Nysosis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nysosis »

andythenorth wrote:
**It's often said that forks are bad, but I have no empirical evidence to support that. And for any evidence, there'll be counter-evidence, and we're doing pixels not science, so probably best not to worry about it too much.
I like forks, hard to eat pasta otherwise :)

But I don't see the need for renaming or forking, if it's just upgrading the existing work, then it's still part of the same project. If it's a completely new direction, with new styles sprites etc, then yes, a significant indication of change is needed
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Leanden wrote:The arrangement of the sprites isnt difficult, its just time consuming, but I plan to take everything we have to convert it to the new style. I know this decision has somewhat alienated the existing contributors, but as this project as come to a stand still, it seems like something needs to be done, and i'll be sure to push this with my own work, even if that means doing it all by myself.

If anyone does want to assist, i'll be sure to show them how i'm taking the existing sprites to convert them to the new scale.
I do hope you're testing this "new style" in-game before spending a ridiculous amount of time on making all those sprites?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Purno wrote:I do hope you're testing this "new style" in-game before spending a ridiculous amount of time on making all those sprites?
Im just doing the 390 and getting that in game to see the results. But it's worked well enough for CETS, so i see no reason why it shouldn't work here.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Purno wrote:I do hope you're testing this "new style" in-game before spending a ridiculous amount of time on making all those sprites?
Good point - but also why worry? :) CETS has proven this style works, and time is only time.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Anyway, back on topic.

Can anyone see any problems with the sprites ive done so far:

If noone can see any striking issues, ill finish the other orientations for all the car types so we can get this tested in the game.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

perverted monkey wrote:Subject: [OTTD] Britrains (British Trains for OTTD)
Leanden wrote:Anyway, back on topic.

Can anyone see any problems with the sprites ive done so far:

If noone can see any striking issues, ill finish the other orientations for all the car types so we can get this tested in the game.
Yummy!

Idea: I think this scale begs for 32bpp to smooth edges (As I am not aware of the way these extra views work excuse me if my suggestion is not possible).
Its a simple(TM) method of coding the use of extra sprites for when the train turns corners. Try CETS for a demonstration.

But you are right, this does lend itself very well to the implementation of 32bpp sprites, and if Illegalalien gets his stuff sorted for his concept, it could be possible to have this as a 32bpp set too :)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Front Car complete.
Attachments
BR390_13_VirginFront.png
BR390_13_VirginFront.png (15.67 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Double post: Back car complete, been busy with work thus slow activity recently.
Attachments
BR390_13_VirginEnd.png
BR390_13_VirginEnd.png (13.19 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Triple post: And finally the cars and cars /w pantographs.

So now we can do a proper in game test to see how these behave as a consist with increased turning sprites.
Attachments
BR390_12_VirginCar.png
BR390_12_VirginCar.png (13.23 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
BR390_12_VirginCarPantoBack.png
BR390_12_VirginCarPantoBack.png (14.15 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
BR390_12_VirginCarPantoFront.png
BR390_12_VirginCarPantoFront.png (13.9 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

No downloadable GRF yet, but anyway:
Attachments
Great Rintston Transport, 13th Feb 20000.png
Great Rintston Transport, 13th Feb 20000.png (15.53 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Chuwood Transport, 5th Feb 20000.png
Chuwood Transport, 5th Feb 20000.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I notice that the second car in from the top right of the train has had part of the train clipped off, is this intentional?

Also can i get a copy of the test grf? :D

EDIT: So is the top right end car as well by the looks of it.
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

Leanden wrote:I notice that the second car in from the top right of the train has had part of the train clipped off, is this intentional?

Also can i get a copy of the test grf? :D

EDIT: So is the top right end car as well by the looks of it.
on the circle?? could be down to the sharpness of the bends and the length of the carriage, that is a concern for me actually, it would be interesting to see what a "straight, diagonal, straight" looks like on this to see what single square turns look like.

also isn't there the possibility of collisions between trains heading in opposite directions on bends??
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Extra angles: the work of the devil or such. No good will come of it, I tell you. :twisted:
Hitperson wrote:also isn't there the possibility of collisions between trains heading in opposite directions on bends??
No, rail pieces never get that close on a tile.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Hitperson wrote:on the circle??
Nope, i actually meant on the screenshot where the train is travelling straight from NE to SW.
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

have to admit it looks good, but with the corner angles at 45 degrees i think is there any need for so many angles?
Everton F.C The pride of merseyside
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

jonnie47 wrote:have to admit it looks good, but with the corner angles at 45 degrees i think is there any need for so many angles?
Well if someone can be bothered to draw them! :) I'd say a nice goal would be to draw all trains (at that scale) for 8 angles and then add in the extra ones later when you feel like it, with the priority being to build the set up and attract attention :wink:
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Less angles will lose some of the looks, and nobody managed to get all offsets just right yet. Leaving the extra angles out temporarily is up to whoever converts the sprites.

The GRF will be over here as soon as the NML version on the DevZone is updated to the very newest one.
To fix the cut-off, you need to turn one extra pixel row into corridor connection on the horizontals and cut off one row at the top left/right of the diagonals, look at this.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---

Return to “Graphics Development”