NewGRF: Disable closure for all (Open)TTD industries

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: NewGRF: Disable closure for all (Open)TTD industries

Post by DaleStan »

You might as well ask to have have traveled faster than a light year last week. (Yes, I meant what I said there.)
SirkoZ wrote:To summarise all points - to be a simple one-liner property that just works - with smooth_economy. There is absolutely nothing of the kind in the newGRF specs.
I think I finally see the part you're not understanding: A flag will not be added when a callback already exists to perform the same task.

CB 28/35 can:
a) work with all industry types,
b) work with all industry sets (indeed, most industry sets use at least one, if not both.), and
c) simulate smooth_economy.

That covers all your behaviour requests, leaving only the language format request. And see above for the response on that one.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

I posted a suggestion about this feature and also for disabling of the opening of industries in the suggestions forum:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40068
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Thank you Timitry, very practical suggestion.
Of course I still will try to make this newGRF if your suggestion gets no attention.
bungy52
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bungy52 »

I agree with Shiver. It is so bloody annoying to see industries diasappear. Particularly after just :bow: putting a railway line through to them. This annoying feature in Open TTD was not in the original game of TTD. And should be removed in the next version. Well done frosch for your Manual Industries Set.

bungy52
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

bungy52 wrote:It is so bloody annoying to see industries diasappear. This annoying feature in Open TTD was not in the original game of TTD.
Methinks you would do well to check your facts before spouting off utter nonsense.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

Would it be possible to disable closing of industries that have had their first station recently constructed nearby?

This would be better than disabling closing altogether.

Alternatively, how about "industry will close in 6 months unless it gets some stuff delivered"? Instead of instantly closing. That way you'd get enough time to serve it after the message to stop it closing, or you could see before you started building that the industry was going to close and not bother building to it.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Thief^ wrote:Would it be possible to disable closing of industries that have had their first station recently constructed nearby?
Define "nearby". What happens when stations just happen to be nearby but do not service the industry?
Thief^ wrote:Alternatively, how about "industry will close in 6 months unless it gets some stuff delivered"? Instead of instantly closing.
This is possible -- has been done, even -- with NewGRF.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Thief^ wrote:Alternatively, how about "industry will close in 6 months unless it gets some stuff delivered"? Instead of instantly closing. That way you'd get enough time to serve it after the message to stop it closing, or you could see before you started building that the industry was going to close and not bother building to it.
ECS vectors display a warning message in 24 and 12 months.
Image Image Image Image
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

this grf makes my game crash. anyone else experiences that?
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Resurrection:

Using callbacks 28 and 35 and then simulating smooth_economy way of disabling closures is simply unacceptable for this day and age when most of the people enjoy smooth_economy industry changes including of course great many if not all internet OpenTTD servers running.

Therefore I set up a "Feature Request" on OpenTTD Flyspray bugtracker for disable closures switch. That would mean industries change productions the way they do now, but don't close if they
come to the lowest production rate/level. Also all processing industry closure would not be permitted with this switch in ON state.
Link to Flyspray request: http://bugs.openttd.org/task/2621 .
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

i just tryed this out

why dose the paper mill take in steal?

why dose the copper mine give iron ore not copper ore?

but is there not a patch that dose this as well

and there be no proble with it working with other GRF sets
For Community Integrated Version http://code.google.com/p/civopenttd/
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

2007Alain2007 wrote:why dose the paper mill take in steal?
why dose the copper mine give iron ore not copper ore?
Because it doesn't.
Have you loaded other industry grfs as well? Try disabling those.
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

no i have not added any others in
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

We're talking about this here, right?

I decoded that grf to see what it does, and in no way can it change industry acceptance. What happens when you load only that grf in a fresh game (climate of your choice). If that doesn't help, try the same in a vanilla 0.7.0 and/or a clean build of a recent nightly.

I'm sure that the behaviour you're experiencing is caused by something, but I really doubt that this grf is the cause...
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

I uploaded a picture i know i am useing my patch pack but theres nothing in there to stop it from working
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Ah, now I understand what happens...
The grf makes all industries available in all climates. It doesn't change cargos though.

Now consider these tables. As you can see, steel and paper occupy the same slot, but which one is loaded depends on the climate chosen. If you would select the Arctic climate, the steel mill will produce paper :lol:

So you could consider this a bug, or you could consider it a feature. Either way, this is what the grf is designed to do.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Yes, it is the fault of the grf. It only deals with industries, not with cargos.

I noticed the bug myself months after the grf had been released ... cannot remember what I tested with it ... however since then I enjoyed that it had hundreds of downloads and noone noticed that :p

Am I going to fix it? No. It is GPL, you can do that :)
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

frosch wrote:Good evening, I proudly present to you the "Manual Industries" Set.
It offers great game play and perfectly adapts to your personal playing style - no matter whether you prefer realistic-playing or power-play :)

How to play with it?
1) Copy the grf in your newgrf resp. data folder.
2) Start a new game using it
3) For best gameplay press Ctrl-Alt-C and turn on "Enable modifying production values" and "Magic bulldozer".
4) Enjoy full control over any aspect of economy. :!:

The features:
  • Works in all climates. :!:
  • Full control over in-game industry creation using the great "Build Industry" window: :!:
    • No stupid automatic industry construction that spoils every future plans of your transport company.
    • No stupid costs for funding industries, when they won't belong to your company anyway.
    • No stupid restrictions like banks only appearing in towns with more than 1200 citizens or oil wells only available before 1950.
    • No stupid restrictions about the availability of certain industry types only for certain climates.
  • Full control over industry destruction using the innovative "Bulldozer" tool: :!:
    • No stupid automatic closing-down of industries which will shortly gain big profits when you connect them to your transport network.
    • No stupid industries in locations far more useful for nice junctions or stations.
  • Full control over industy production using two nice little "increase"- and "decrease"-buttons from the industry window: :!:
    • No silly random production changes, which are not related to any sane reasoning.
Unfortunatelly the grf cannot be combined with other newgrf industry sets :(
I guess to authors are too ignorant to understand the real needs of great gameplay.
I have made a variation of your file.
My version only disables the closure. The prices are always lower, 1/16 of the maximum price (They are cheap). I haven't modified other features. This file only works for temperate climate, and It doesn't enable not temperate industries. It's under the same license than the original file: GPL 2.0.

I have made it because It's annoying when You have a well serviced Industry and It closes down. :x

EDIT: I have deleted the GRF file. I will post a second version soon.

Code: Select all

// Automatically generated by GRFCODEC. Do not modify!
// (Info version 7)
// Format: spritenum pcxfile xpos ypos compression ysize xsize xrel yrel
    0 * 4	 14 00 00 00
    1 * 99	 08 07 "frMIManual Industries" 00 "Not compatible "
	 "with other industry sets." 0D "Coded "
	 "by frosch. License: GPL 2.0" 00

2 *   1    0C
  3 *   1    0C
  4 *   1    0C
  5 *   1    0C
  6 *   1    0C
  7 *   1    0C
  8 *   1    0C
  9 *   1    0C

// Coal mine
 10 *  13    00 0A 04 01 00
 08 00
 09 00
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Power station
 11 *  13    00 0A 04 01 01
 08 01
 09 01
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Sawmill
 12 *  13    00 0A 04 01 02
 08 02
 09 02
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Forest
 13 *  13    00 0A 04 01 03
 08 03
 09 03
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Oil refinery
 14 *  13    00 0A 04 01 04
 08 04
 09 04
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Oil rig
 15 *  13    00 0A 04 01 05
 08 05
 09 05
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Factory (temperate)
 16 *  13    00 0A 04 01 06
 08 06
 09 06
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Steel mill
 17 *  13    00 0A 04 01 07
 08 08
 09 08
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Farm (temperate or sub-arctic)
 18 *  13    00 0A 04 01 08
 08 09
 09 09
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Oil wells
 19 *  13    00 0A 04 01 09
 08 0B
 09 0B
 0B 00
 0F 10

// Iron ore mine
 20 *  13    00 0A 04 01 0A
 08 12
 09 12
 0B 00
 0F 10
Attachments
Modify_industries.grf
Updated version. Now, this version is independent from the original code. It's under public domain.
(289 Bytes) Downloaded 360 times
Last edited by maquinista on 13 Aug 2010 00:41, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Please change the grf ID, and also the name !
Different grfs with the same ID cause a lot of trouble.
Well, and also add your name somewhere in the description :)

Btw. you grf also disables production changes.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁

Return to “Graphics Development”