Canadian Town Names
Conceived by Wallyweb [including user guide], coded by OzTransLtd; with Québec contributions from CPCNMAN007, a category suggestion by lifeblood, plus several suggestions from other members as posted in this tt-forums thread.
A special thanks to DanMack for getting this whole Canadian thing going in the first place.MERRY CHRISTMAS 2008
a GREAT DAY TO DO SOMETHING CANADIAN - GIVE SANTA A MAPLE LEAF!
What is it ?
It's a graphics file [.grf] containing a list of Canadian town names suitable for use with both TTDPatch and OpenTTD.
But it's something more too.
Canada is a large country with diverse regions, history and cultures that are largely reflected in the names of its communities. Hence, this set offers not just a list of Canadian names but also groupings largely based on its regions. Here is a description of the groupings:O Canada (te/ar)
- The names are from all across the country - from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific shores, from the American border to the North Pole. (Back off Moscow! It's ours!). Recommended for Temperate and Arctic scenarios [as indicated by te/ar].Rocky Mountain Plains (ar)
- The provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Yukon territory. Ideally suited for Arctic scenarios with high mountain snows and blizzards across the prairies, but equally at home in the Temperate climate of the Pacific Coast of British Columbia giving access to all those rich Asian markets.Golden Horseshoe (te)
- Ontario, the commercial and industrial heartland of Canada, with Toronto at its apex, it surrounds Lake Ontario like a horseshoe made of gold. Recommended for Temperate scenarios but equally at home in a cold Arctic winter.La belle province (te)
- Québec - Ici on parle français - A unique set of names, mostly in Canada's other first language. Industrially diverse and well blessed with resources, it is an island of francophonie in a sea of anglophones. It is also the home of Bombardier whose equipment appears in so many TTDX sets. Temperate but of course mais avec un petit goût de l'arctique.Maritimer Bys (te)
- Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, Canada's East coast with lots of fish, lots of forests, lots of oil and lots of gas. Bys is whats we calls our young men before they's mens ... It's also what we says to 'em when dey leaves home for dem high paying jobs out West. Largely Temperate, but you'd swear it wasn't when one of them Nor'Easters blows in off of the Atlantic in the middle of winter.Malamute Madness (tr)
- The Northwest Territories and Nunavut, largely above the Arctic circle, recently blessed with diamond mines, but they have no rail service. The closest they come to a train is a dozen or so 0-4-0 Malamutes pulling a sled across the tundra. Not a lot of towns up there so we filled out the list with some of Canada's stranger, funnier names, and yes, they are all real. As a tribute to Global Warming, we recommend this one for Tropical. It also helps to think of warmer places during a night when the next sunrise is six months away. So crawl into your igloo and crank up your laptop ... Transport Tycoon Deluxe is waiting.
For a complete list of the names and other very important information, please view the User Guide.
To get going in a game the zip file contains the grf file as well as a quick set up guide.
Welcome to Canada - Bienvenu au Canada
Future versions will have new names added.
Please submit any suggestions in this thread.
Nov 21, 2008 v1.1 Added Topher's excellent suggestions
to Rocky Mountain Plains
Jun 27, 2008 v1.0 The official release
Jan 19, 2008 v0.9b Set updated after 55 Downloads
- Added Marsh Lake, YT to Rocky Mountain Plains - Request by YukonRob
- Added Florenceville, NB to Maritimer Bys - Request by wallyweb (Yes! Me!)
Jan 19, 2008 v0.9b User Guide updated after 28 Downloads
- Added Marsh Lake and Florenceville to the documentation
- In Malamute Madness section, Malemute corrected to Mala
mute - Found by YukonRob
- In Malamute Madness section, changed YK to YT - Found by YukonRob
Jan 3, 2008 User Guide updated after 40 Downloads - Replaced GRFCrawler logo