Lighting setup version F (who made it)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Lighting setup version F (who made it)

Post by Alltaken »

Hi guys, who made version F?

could someone please upload or email me A-F for lighting setups.

something has gone horribly wrong IMO. we have a single light source (the sun). and Ambient Occlusion. This is not good lighting principals.

The shadows are far to dark coming from the sun. contrast can be achieved in many many other ways.

Take a look at Dmh_Mac's early work for the lighthouse. He is using a solid 3 point lighting setup. and it works very well, it is following good lighting principals.

we really need to fix this lighting before it turns horrible. the idea of an "official lighting setup" was that it was "NOT CHANGED" but it has gone through A B C D E and now F. this must stop if we are to have a standardised and consistant game.

Alltaken
Last edited by Alltaken on 01 Apr 2007 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

To look on the positives. the downloaded file for the lighting setups is fantastic, it contains all the right stuff for an artist to get started with different height and size buildings. very nice.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Since blender now supports linking in files, we should probably have a separate .blend containing the lights that gets linked into a file with the geometry. That way the lightsetup can be easily replaced.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Yeah that was my thinking also. The lighting should be linked the same way the textures are, possibly from the same file.

Alltaken
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Alltaken: The lighting setup was mostly worked on by Aracirion, although there was quite a lengthy discussion on it in the forum, and put together based on this discussion, which I think justifies it being changed. The topic is here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
Ben
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

I was vaguely aware of the thread. but i didn't realise the lighting changes involved deleting entire lights......

It was perhaps my fault for not checking up on things, and looking at any blend files coming out.

However having said this, the current lighting setup is producing some very poor results by default (yes experienced users will be able to counter this with carefull editing of textures). but i am just worried we will have a strange and unrealistic result.

we definitely need a 3 point lighting setup. it is currently a single light. Yellow, blue and a backlight of possibly white should be good.

the alternative is to have a 2 point light setup with a slightly yellow Sun, a slightly blue fill light, and Ambient Occlusion.

Not intentionally trying to diss your work Aracirion, I do appreciate the effort you have put in. it was just brought to my attention when i saw some very very contrasty renders which were done in the default lighting setup. It was then that i came to follow it up.

Cheers.

Alltaken
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

I had problems with the setup too. The contrast is very high. Positive thing about it is that everything looks like a nice summer day. But colors and textures are hard to get right.

If ambient occlusion could be turned off, that would be great imo. Could improve render times dramaticly.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Removing Ambient lighting makes sets look stage lit. Realism comes from less exact shadows, and softer edging.

Are there some key examples of what you are referring to Alltaken? I personally prefer renders of buildings in the newest Light Setup.

Here’s a comparison http://www.tt-forums.net//files/original_new25_899.jpg

If you just transfer a textured model from one LS to the other as done here:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=451375#451375

…then that’s not going to work, because textures will look better in which ever LS you set them up to fit.

On the original, the shadow is brighter than the Dark side of the object. The lightest objects are extremely bright all over, and the darkest objects are far from Black, especially on the top. The change in shade is sudden and therefore appears stage lit, and gives an early morning effect, but from the wrong angle. The grey/yellow Background colour is a depressing shade of winter. They are the key factors that make me prefer the new.
Ben
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

the effect i was seeing may be rather isolated. but yes you are right transfering ttextures from one to the other will result in poor results.

i will have a look at everythin some time to try and work out if its fine alredy, or if there is room for improvement.

Alltaken

Return to “Graphics Development”