(Standalone) NG (+ Improved Ships) Set [developing]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Is this set a good idea?

No, nobody wants to have narrow gauge anyway... :(
10%
No, because this set wouldn't be compatible with other more popular sets, no matter how it's coded.
14%
Yes, I've been waiting so long for a European-orientated NG set!
76%

Total votes: 49

Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

(Standalone) NG (+ Improved Ships) Set [developing]

Post by Toni Babelony »

Hello all,

After the NG grf had been accepted by OTTD I got caught in the clutches of the narrow-gauge-mania. I already suggested in Purno's 2CC topic to implement a narrow-gauge part, but I thought it would be better if a seperate set was released. I'm intended to keep this set small, or maybe move on to a bigger one if demanded.

The overall feeling of this set should give a laid-back and feel-well gameplay because of the low speeds of the trains and boats. This will not only make the gameplay very hard, but also even more realistic. No high speeds involved here. (vMax.±80km/h)

The focus will be on any light-weight-narrow-gauge rolling stock from around the globe, preferred 750mm gauge and very profitable ships for long distances. This is because ships in the original game are quite useless and I think it's a shame that the canals and harbours are hardly used.

--

The website is online, but unfinished: http://toniproductions.nl/TTD/

--

Is anyone interested in coding this set,
since I don't know anything from coding at all...
Attachments
The first sprites
The first sprites
NGSet1st.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
Last edited by Toni Babelony on 11 Feb 2007 21:04, edited 8 times in total.
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

It's not a bad idea at all, I'm looking forward to this set! :D

Although, my doubts are that a good part of the European sets out there are already planning a NG part of their own. At least, in the countries where narrow gauge was significantly used. I'm thinking about Wile's Serbian set, James' Swiss set... Even the French Set will have an important narrow gauge part (of which all the steamers and electric engines have already been drawn :p )

The idea of making it copatible with other sets is intriguing, however you'd better define a number of IDs to use, and which these IDs should be. The recent discussion about ECS compatibility with other industry sets tells us a lot about these issues. Basically, all of the sets you want to be compatible with should have these IDs free (or replaceable).
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Can You make tracking table?
Then maybe I can help to draw some of those locos too (when I have free time). If its fine for You?
First attempt is beautiful!
Edit: If i read Snail story it would be cool to have full NGset all over the world :)! Replace all train ID-s with NG trains and wagons of course! That would be fun. Personally I like NG a lot!
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Maybe we should then stick to a Middle/Eastern European railset with really cheap rolling stock. Attractive for short distances, but unattractive for longer distances due to the low speed.

I'm glad to see that there is some interest in this set!

I don't know how many vehicle-IDs there are. Could someone please inform me on this? I don't know if a complete replacement of all the vehicle-IDs is such a good idea. A game should also have some attractiveness in long-distance transport...

A tracking table is on it's way.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

ISA wrote:Train and wagon ID-s There also trucks and other stuff!
Ah that's great! Thanks a lot!

As I can see from the vehicle-IDs there, a good lot to override would be the Maglev, Monorail and Toyland parts. I presume these aren't so heavy in use as the Regular Climate vehicle-IDs.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Toni Babelony wrote:
ISA wrote:Train and wagon ID-s There also trucks and other stuff!
Ah that's great! Thanks a lot!

As I can see from the vehicle-IDs there, a good lot to override would be the Maglev, Monorail and Toyland parts. I presume these aren't so heavy in use as the Regular Climate vehicle-IDs.
Most sets like the DBSet and UKRS use all available ID's, in fact AFAIK almost all large sets use all the available ID-slots from every climate and every rail type.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Ameecher wrote:Most sets like the DBSet and UKRS use all available ID's, in fact AFAIK almost all large sets use all the available ID-slots from every climate and every rail type.
That I know... Maybe I then should expand this set to a complete different level.

Does anybody has any suggestions on this, or is this idea a hopeless case?
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Toni Babelony wrote: Ah that's great! Thanks a lot!
No problem! :)
Toni Babelony wrote: As I can see from the vehicle-IDs there, a good lot to override would be the Maglev, Monorail and Toyland parts. I presume these aren't so heavy in use as the Regular Climate vehicle-IDs.
Afaik its not so heavy :) You also can make different trains appear in different climes!
Toni Babelony wrote:Does anybody has any suggestions on this, or is this idea a hopeless case?
Its not hopeless! I think! :)
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

ISA wrote:
Toni Babelony wrote:Does anybody has any suggestions on this, or is this idea a hopeless case?
Its not hopeless! I think! :)
Good, a new approach to this set!

Let's focus entirely on light-narrow-gauge trains from around the world. It will be a strange mixture of Shays, Romanian diesels and Portuguese DMU, but it will certanly be interesting. The main idea will be that the NG.grf must have it's parameters set to '2', so the narrow-gauge lines will have electrified tracks.

So, in fact we have:
-Unelectrified narrow gauge;
-Electrified narrow gauge;

I'm not intend to use monorail and maglev, but instead make, au contraîre to the original ships, cheap ships which MUST gain profit on longer distances then trains or road vehicles.

How is this?
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Now we need only tracking table which is in work!
Then I would gladly try to draw some ng locos and wagons! Hand is rusty because it was long time ago when I last draw something! :)
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

ISA wrote:Now we need only tracking table which is in work!
Then I would gladly try to draw some ng locos and wagons! Hand is rusty because it was long time ago when I last draw something! :)
If you would like to begin, you could start with a 'Shay' and some freight wagons.

P.s. I've updated the first post.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

I like the idea very much. Keep it up!

Plan to include any Swiss or French vehicles? :))

-EDIT- I saw you'd prefer 750mm-gauge rolling stock... this might narrow (!!) the scope even more, as the most interesting NG stuff ran on meter-gauge tracks (at least in Western Europe)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

wow, i love that steamer. very clear graphics. quality nice. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

@Snail: I'm planning to include all rolling stock to my liking in the original colours. (unlike the now developing, wonderful, 2CC set from Purno)

Restricting myself to 750mm stock is a limitation, but I can always make exeptions. Most of the (±)1000mm is too heavy for this project and can almost be seen as normal gauge stock. That's why I focus on approx. 750mm. It's not so much of a restriction as you might think, since most of the East-European narrow gauge railway lines are 750mm.

@astath: Thanks man! This is just an example of what's to come. My sprite-n00b-days are over.

EDIT: (don't want a double-post)

Here is an unfinished trackingtable. The choise of trains can/will be changed. It are mostly European trains, and some are 1000mm gauge. I'm looking for replacements of these 1000mm trains.
Attachments
NGSetTrTable.xls
(15 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Ok, as you prefer. Maybe it will be even more interesting. Good luck with the development of your set! :D

I saw you still have some meter-gauge vehicles in the tracking table. We are planning to include the Billard and Renault railcars in the FRSet as well. Just drop us a line if you decide to keep them in your final set.

Your sprites are not bad! But just a suggestion, don't you think they might be a bit too wide for 750mm-gauge rolling stock? Maybe it would be better to use 6-pixel width for the NG vertical sprites (to give the idea of really tiny vehicles).
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Good luck in your project.
I am very happy to hear someone will draw new ships. It took so long...
Hope you can collect some "orphans" by various artists in their threads and combine them in one set if they agree.

The following 2 I made long ago, but stopped project. I post them, hoping they do not have the fate of a dozen others I lost when my then main HD said bye bye.
Attachments
ship_passenger.png
ship_passenger.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 7528 times
ship_cargo.png
ship_cargo.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

If you want, you may use any of my NG vehicles for your set.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Tony, you do realize certain of your vehicles would overwrite quite random vehicles of other trainsets since they use the same vehicle ID?

Best thing to do would be including standard gauge as well, and create your own stand alone set, non-CC, I guess.

Btw, NG-vehicle sprites are smaller than SG ones.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Just out of curiosity, what´s the motive to have narrow-gauge vehicles, especially together with standard gauge ones in the same train set - apart from the eye candy effect?

Obviously, NG vehicles would be weaker as standard gauge ones but the usual advantages (lighter, thus cheaper track, smaller curve radii) couldn´t get implemented in TTD [*] at the time being, so there´s only the possibility to make them cheaper in general (lower price and maintenance cost)? Which could be deliberately done as well with any other (SG) vehicle in a set?

[*] we only have three track systems, w/o NewRoutes

We recently had that discussion in the german TTD forums but w/o any convincing results. Maybe you´d be able to reveal some more ideas?

regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”