German road vehicle set [WIP, first version released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

@Uwe

Your Busses are great. I am looking forward to play this set.

I would do the upper deck one pixel lower. The sprites look like if the upper deck would almost double the bus size, which is not the case. The custom busses are just 1/3 taller than the original busses.

I would offer this custom busses as a refit like in George LV set, if this has'nt already been your intention.

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

@spaceball: You may be right about the fact that it looks too high. However, the sprites are in fact not as high as the ones for doubledeck types. This bus will be available as a normal model just like any other type, so no refitting stuff here.

I also just finished coding the next bus, the MAN SD200. This is a doubledeck type built exclusively for Berlin again, in service from 1974 until 2003. Depending on the year you build the unit, it will come in two versions, the first one until 1982 features a white sign on the front showing the line number, from 1982 onwards this sign becomes black. This should be noticeable on the screenshots if you look closely.
Attachments
mansd200_3.png
mansd200_3.png (8.24 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
mansd200_2.png
mansd200_2.png (10.1 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
mansd200.png
mansd200.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

And another new bus. Well, in fact this one has been in the works for half a year, but for some reason the finishing touches were missing. Anyway, this is the Daimler Benz O305, _the_ standard city bus of the 1970s and early 1980s. It could be found in just about every city in West Germany and was in use well into the 1990s.
Attachments
mbo305_3.png
mbo305_3.png (8.44 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
mbo305_2.png
mbo305_2.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
mbo305.png
mbo305.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Buses coming *like mushrooms after rain*! :D Keep it up!
*-old saying here when same things happening to often ;)
Last edited by ISA on 18 Dec 2006 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

ISA wrote:Buses coming *like mushroom after rain*! :D Keep it up!
Really? :P We have the very same saying here in Sweden too!

And yes, great to see some more additions to this set! :D
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

SAC wrote:
ISA wrote:Buses coming *like mushrooms after rain*! :D Keep it up!
[ot]emm.... Didn't know that :? [/ot]
:D
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Ah yes, there's still some new busses to come. However, I'm busy with preparing Christmas presents, so this one's the only new one for today. The screenshots show a Mercedes-Benz O303, a coach type introduced in 1974. It went on to become the most successful coach type worldwide with about 38.000 units to be produced.
This bus always comes in a white livery with only the back parts being painted in 2cc. That's to make sure you can distinguish coaches from other types of busses.
Attachments
mbo303_3.png
mbo303_3.png (7.89 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
mbo303_2.png
mbo303_2.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
mbo303.png
mbo303.png (9.57 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

SAC wrote:
ISA wrote:Buses coming *like mushroom after rain*! :D Keep it up!
Same here :)

These buses are awesome :P
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

And the next new bus, the Setra S328DT, a modern three axle double deck coach type of the mid 1990s. The coach is always white, the decoration on the sides is 2cc.
Attachments
setras328dt_3.png
setras328dt_3.png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 5672 times
setras328dt_2.png
setras328dt_2.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
setras328dt.png
setras328dt.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

Looks very nice! :)
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

So, this post almost certainly marks the final update before Christmas. The screenshots show the most modern coach in the set, a Neoplan Skyliner, which will be available from 2002 onwards. This is also a double deck, offering a huge capacity and running quite fast.
Attachments
neoplanskyliner_3.png
neoplanskyliner_3.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
neoplanskyliner_2.png
neoplanskyliner_2.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
neoplanskyliner.png
neoplanskyliner.png (10.19 KiB) Viewed 5627 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Very nice graphics! Keep up the good work :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
N8king
Engineer
Engineer

Post by N8king »

Hi Uwe!

Its nice to see a historical and realistic roadset for TTD. But to keep up modernity in the development of busses, here is my suggestion: in my hometown Graz/Austria, the citybusses (MB Citaro) drive by recycled oil used in restaurants. This method is to preventing citysmog, a little expensiver then diesel, but the performensrating should encreas.
Also Vienna got a similar citybussystem driven with mineralgas.
I think some cities in Canada have busses with powercells witch only needs Oxygen and Hydrogen without any emission exept clear water.
In fact of climatic change, the time has come allready in the seventees, when citysmog began to harm seriosly and first developments of nonemisionvehicle startet.
I think, it should be possible to decide, witch system (diesel or alternativ)you like for each citybus from maybe 1995 (very expensiv but more robust) until 2025 with mineral oil, 2005 to 2040 with recycled oil (expensiv but atractiv), and from 2030 until infinity by powercells (perfect).
Like trains developt from steam and diesel to electric locos, this could make busses more efficient for townacceptanc and cityratings.

Some links: http://www.gvb.at/home/wir_ueber_uns/za ... _daten.php
http://www.wienerlinien.at/wl/wlinien/j ... stHome.jsp

N8king[/url]
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

While all these thoughts apply in real life, I just don't see how the effects of using recycled oil or power cells could be simulated in TTDX. As far as I'm aware, town ratings only depend on the quantity of service you provide, not on the vehicles you use to do that. So, towns in the game would not care whether I use an old steamer or a modern electric engine, as long as all passengers can be transported. If I'm mistaken here, please point me into the right direction :-)
Anyhow, the only changes to buses would concern prices, running costs and reliability. I don't see how that would make a really big difference in the game, so I doubt such systems will get implemented. What would be easily possible is to say that a modern city bus uses natural gas or whatever other technology as default, that is, without any refitting possibilities.
N8king
Engineer
Engineer

Post by N8king »

[quote="Uwe"]While all these thoughts apply in real life, I just don't see how the effects of using recycled oil or power cells could be simulated in TTDX. As far as I'm aware, town ratings only depend on the quantity of service you provide, not on the vehicles you use to do that. So, towns in the game would not care whether I use an old steamer or a modern electric engine, as long as all passengers can be transported. If I'm mistaken here, please point me into the right direction :-)
Anyhow, the only changes to buses would concern prices, running costs and reliability. I don't see how that would make a really big difference in the game, so I doubt such systems will get implemented. What would be easily possible is to say that a modern city bus uses natural gas or whatever other technology as default, that is, without any refitting possibilities.[/quote]

Hi Uwe!

Thanks for your answer. I see, my suggestion is not so useful, as I thoght. In that case, it would be nice to see the alternative technologies in the perchase window without refitting possibility.
But anyway, I like your busses very much and I cant await to install the grfs.
Happy new year and happy coding!

N8king
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Ah, the first update in the new year. The animation is a mockup done by Daniel showing a bus station with three busses from the set. Now implementing this station is just about as impossible to be implemented as larger airports or larger maps (at least to my knowledge), but I think it looks quite cool and perhaps someone might be inclined to just try doing the impossible :wink:

In addition, the animation shows a coach version of the old Vomag bus, which is used when this bus is refitted to carry tourists. Refitting features have been implemented today, as they will be very important once we have started working on trucks. Some additional busses have also been drawn over Christmas, these will be coded over the next days and weeks.
Attachments
Mockup of large bus station
Mockup of large bus station
mockup 001.gif (187.72 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

It would indeed be cool to have an extendable busstation. If it *ever* will be possible, maybe more options for busstations could be realized...
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

A new bus has been coded, the Benz 2CNb. This is a very early model, being introduced in 1925. At that time it was quite a revolution, for it was the first bus with a framework that had specifically been developed. This allowed for a much lower entry, compared to the truck frames that had been used previously.
The bus comes in two liveries, depending on whether it carries passengers or tourists. When being loaded, baggage is shown on the roof to show the loading stage.
Attachments
Again both liveries, the bus at the station is currently loading, so it show opened doors.
Again both liveries, the bus at the station is currently loading, so it show opened doors.
benz2cnb_5.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
Tourist livery (white with blue roof) and passenger livery (mainly blue).
Tourist livery (white with blue roof) and passenger livery (mainly blue).
benz2cnb_4.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
benz2cnb_2.png
benz2cnb_2.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
DonRazzi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DonRazzi »

Man, I can't wait until the release of the set... How long I do have to freeze myself?
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

@DonRazzi: The set will be released when it's ready, and not a minute earlier. Honestly, I don't have a clue whenever that may be.

Anyway, there is no real progress to be shown ATM, but I have a coding question. Michael Blunck has shown a screenshot with additional texts in the purchase window here. I'm currently trying to code this feature as well, but I ran into some problems. I managed to show additional texts using CB23, but I'm not satisfied with the placement of this text (see screenshot). I want the text to be displayed below all other text, not between the vehicle details and refitting information. Any ideas as to how that could be done?

The code looks like:

Code: Select all

598 * 18 02 01 00 81 0C 00 FF 02
     02 80 11 11 // CB 11 - make vehicle shorter
     00 80 23 23 // CB 23 - additional text
     AA 00       // no CB, use act02 AA
782 * 17 04 01 FF 01 00 D0 0D
        91 "Testtext" 00 // define text to be shown
Attachments
Wrongly placed additional text
Wrongly placed additional text
purchase.png (4.29 KiB) Viewed 4481 times