New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

dmh_mac:

Nice building. I see that you have used lots of different objects. Probably I would have used less objects, and just painted different faces with different materials. But I don't know which method that is the best, as I am not so experiensed with 3d modeling, as you seam to be.

Thank you for sharing your model.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

zuu wrote: Probably I would have used less objects, and just painted different faces with different materials. But I don't know which method that is the best, as I am not so experiensed with 3d modeling, as you seam to be.
His method of using different models, is actually very good (its the mothd i would normally use, one object per material) you can then join the different parts together to form one object, while each part retains its individual materials. (how you would do it) ;)

but many objects is not a problem, often the many objects are just creatd by cutting up a larger object into the different texturable parts.

a method of working on the model easily. since its easier to select an entire object and texture it than selecting individual face, well in blender it is.

his file IMO is a great example of the quality i am hoping for, and is very well built..... infact i think i will redo all the trees using this low poly method, my trees (in hindsight) were terrible :P

Alltaken
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

:) My trees and shrubs are just icospheres cut in half. They do the job but they're nothing special.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

dmh_mac wrote::) My trees and shrubs are just icospheres cut in half. They do the job but they're nothing special.
yeah, i was just searching for a good alternative to the ones i did which were about 2Mb per tree (or somthing rediculous, i don't remember exactly what they were)

:D

Alltaken
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

when will this new graphic be released for OTTD? are the any ideas of when it might be released?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

In 0.6.0 or 0.7.0... but 0.4.0 isn't relased yet.

Check the Wiki
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

will the game be much bigger when that is released? how will it look? are there any pics of examples or something?
I'm very interested in this new thing about turning OTTD into true color.
where can i find more info about this turnpoint?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Check OpenTTD graphic forums looking for "OpenTTD in 3D" or something kinda
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

browneyedboy wrote:will the game be much bigger when that is released?
probably a good few Mb larger, i would expect only enough graphcis for a playable game to be included, after that there will be a centralised organised website with all the new graphics on it. hopefully this will be intergrated with OTTD so it automatically downloads new GFX. makes it easier on bandwidth if GFX are being downloaded one at a time over a long period of time.
how will it look? are there any pics of examples or something?
I'm very interested in this new thing about turning OTTD into true color.
where can i find more info about this turnpoint?
yeah just look for any thread by Me in the OTTD graphics forum, or look for any thread with New GFX in the title.

its still early stages, but things are happening. the bigger development will not be 32Bpp but larger sprites, and the new track laying system (which is better, and looks soooo much sexier)

Alltaken
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

I was checking the openttd wiki (Enhanced - Graphics Creation) and, seeing as I'm not realy familiar with ttd editing, it's not entirely clear to me as to what exactly is needed for say an "industry".
How many/what images should be made?

P.s. Is there some way to browse the images in the standard .grf files?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

dmh_mac wrote:How many/what images should be made?
Each tile requires a ground sprite and optionally a building sprite, repeated up to four times for the four construction stages.
dmh_mac wrote:P.s. Is there some way to browse the images in the standard .grf files?
Use grfcodec. That will create a PCX file, open that with any image editor that can read PCXen.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Thanks DaleStan.

I have converted trg1r.grf to a pcx and have looked through it a bit.
It's all a bit confusing, some building are cut up almost beyond recognition.
If I were to make, let's say, the lumbermill should I make it as seperate parts, each 1 tile big like in the grf?
Also I've only come by buildings with 3 building stages.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

If I were to make, let's say, the lumbermill should I make it as seperate parts, each 1 tile big like in the grf?
if you are talking about doing New GFX, using Blender. then no you should nto cut up the images to one tile, the syatem will be working very differently. each object (nomatter how big it is, or what its shape is) will have only one Image.
Also I've only come by buildings with 3 building stages
you can have as many stages as you like, or need.
foundations
building low
building high
finished
getting old
demolished...

whatever you want.

also with somthing like a lumber mill, i would suggest offering many different designs of the lumbermill, in different configurations, with perhaps different ages (if you wish to model more than one)

also i made some logs, which are textured, i could probably send the texture to you some time, so in the mean time you could just put in cylinders, and then a texture can be sent to you.

there should be a standardised file for you to use, with the scale in it....

good luck, and have fun.

Alltaken
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

Alltaken wrote:
if you are talking about doing New GFX, using Blender. then no you should nto cut up the images to one tile, the syatem will be working very differently. each object (nomatter how big it is, or what its shape is) will have only one Image.
Perhaps it could be one model, but to be able to draw it correctly seperate sprites for every tile will be needed... Especially with non-square buildings otherwise sprites might need to partly overlap, making it impossible to draw them correctly...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

For non square objects (i.e. triangle buildings in shape of letter L) we'll use transparency (since pngs have this feature :D)
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

MeusH wrote:For non square objects (i.e. triangle buildings in shape of letter L) we'll use transparency (since pngs have this feature :D)
no.. i'm talking of for example a tree that would be partially covered by a non-transparent part of an L-shaped building, but would (non-transparently) cover another part of the building that is behind the tree.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

dmh_mac wrote:If I were to make, let's say, the lumbermill should I make it as seperate parts, each 1 tile big like in the grf?
Yes. Well, it's probably better to draw it as one unit and then cut it up, but at some point, yes, it must be cut up individual tiles.
dmh_mac wrote:Also I've only come by buildings with 3 building stages.
The 4 construction stages include the "fully built" stage. Does this clear things up?

Of course, if you intended to draw industry graphics for the new engine, then the GRF files probably won't help you much, and a lot of the TTD limitations will go away with the new engine.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Mek wrote:no.. i'm talking of for example a tree that would be partially covered by a non-transparent part of an L-shaped building, but would (non-transparently) cover another part of the building that is behind the tree.

so are you saying they are cut up into "foreground, and background" sprites, where any overlap (like the front of bridges and stuff) is cut up so a train can pass underneath it.

because, then i agree with you.

if you are talking about each tile (as the current GRFs are done) being cut out of a larger picture i.e. a sawmill being 6-8 pieces. then i must say i totally disagree with this.

in a situation of a square 3x3 building, it should be in 1 image. if there were to be a highly complex building such as a 3x3 building with a hole in the middle, then it would be cut into 2 pieces (to allow for the hole)

a building with multiple holes, and multiple complexities would be cut into however many pieces it is needed to allow for the holes to have things put in them.

in which case its pretty different to how TTD cuts up each item into the little squares even if it is just a 3x3.

Alltaken
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Here's my attempt at a lumbermill.
Feel free to critisize.
Attachments
lumbermill.zip
(115.36 KiB) Downloaded 1387 times
Lumbermill.png
Lumbermill.png (80.53 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Only observation I can do: those boards on the right are too plain, you should add some sort of texture to them...

But as for the rest I can only say: UAU! :shock:
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!

Return to “Graphics Development”