New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

The sad thing is, though more realistic, the new GFX engine apperantly will be a lot darker, with dark green grass versus old gfx engines light green, and such. Wont that posibilly make the game have a "sader" mood/look?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

ThorRune wrote:The sad thing is, though more realistic, the new GFX engine apperantly will be a lot darker, with dark green grass versus old gfx engines light green, and such. Wont that posibilly make the game have a "sader" mood/look?
where do you guys get these assumptions from?

NOTHING is finalised untill the sprites are shipped as packaged files. and one thing which will not be changing (for the standard GFX) is the grass colour.

however since there will be the possibility of as many climate types as anyone wants, each player can make the grass colour what ever colour they want. they can even replace it with ice.... (especially since things like buildings will have alpha for grassed areas, things like deserts can be built on without any building emposing its ground colour onto it.)

i just find it funny that a lot of opposition to the project is founded on bad information.

Alltaken
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

I'm not opposing the project, i love it. I got the information only from schreenshots i've seen, especially in your gallery.

Edit:

OK, not darker, but something about it is just... Gloomier
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

if you can't help, at least don't disturb! :?

BTW, i've found no compatibility between blender and 3ds, that makes things harder! I recall Sellu used 3ds.
We should make a standard for images, colours etc, not a limited pallete, but Hub and saturation info for common colours used on vehicles (steamer black, mack truck red, ....)
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Sellu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sellu »

I think the graphics engine rules should be designed so that everyone could do addon stuff with any renderer available. Maybe there should be some calibration page how to make any software to produce uniform looking sprites compared to blender renderings.
The power that I trust.
Jeffrey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeffrey »

that would be very helpfull because i'm using anim8or for "ages" and i have no time to learn blender. :?

EDIT the anim8or problem is probably solved because i found a program called AniVsObj that converts anim8or files to the obj files that blenders uses. Without losing textures and colors ( if it works) the only problem is that i can't run this program because it works only on a win98 not on winXP :?
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

ThorRune, note that that colouring is infact "brighter" than what exists now. it needs to be a few shades darker to meet the TTD colour pallet. perhaps your eyes are fooling you.
Maybe there should be some calibration page how to make any software to produce uniform looking sprites compared to blender renderings.
i agree 100%

infact blender can learn from the other artiss using other software. perhaps its not other artists trying to emulate blenders lighting, but it could be the other way around (or a mixture)
i've found no compatibility between blender and 3ds
well blender does have an importer/exporter script for 3Ds, i am not sure of the exact things it will convert, it may not do materials all that well.
but Hub and saturation info for common colours used on vehicles (steamer black, mack truck red, ....)
we shoudl definatly have a list of common ones of these.

Colours
Material types (the amount of glossiness, i.e. metal, plastic)
textures (bumpiness, things like concrete, roads, dirt...)

basicly a big list of shaders we want to be available in all software used. (and the artists are responsible for emulating these as closely as possible to each other in their respective packages and then sharing the files)

concrete
grass
desert
ashfelt
corrugated iron roof
metal.... .... ....

the list would be huge.

also a set of "common" objects, perhaps 20 various shaped and sized rocks to place on things. trees....

so that within different sets, and different areas we are not having things made that do not differ wildly.

i for one am a fan of having a set of treets (many many trees) that artists just pull into their own files, so that we don't have one type of tree design in one place and another in another place. (i.e. realistic, vs cartoon trees)

Alltaken
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

New building rendered with ambient occlusion.

Need new camera.blend for proper screensize.
Attachments
1-building.png
1-building.png (145.25 KiB) Viewed 18948 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

OMG :shock: That looks awesome :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arsenal
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Arsenal »

:shock: That is truly fantastic! :lol:
mic006fr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mic006fr »

You are very gifted !!!! :shock:
You are in art school ?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Too bad the shadows 'fall off' the tile. I guess the shadow won't be at the next tile, would it?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

we can potentially have the shadow on the next tile, although IMO it would be low priority.

great stuff.

how many tiles will it be?

Alltaken
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

The shadows falling off is something we'll have to live with. I could set the sun higher but then the building wouldn't receive enough light.

It will take 1 tile.

In the lighting setup thread you - alltaken - said tiles will probably be 128x wide but I've rendered the tile to a width of 256px since there was also talk about an extra zoom level (which I hope will go into the game).

Included is the zipped blend file.

P.s. You might notice a small adjustment to the lighting setup discussed earlier, as I have now turned the two additional "side-suns" into hemis.
Attachments
1-buildingb.png
1-buildingb.png (78.97 KiB) Viewed 11756 times
1building.zip
(177.45 KiB) Downloaded 771 times
habell
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by habell »

It looks great :shock:
I think the lighting is better now IMO
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

park
Attachments
2-park.png
2-park.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 11646 times
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Cool!!!
But the trees somewhat don't fit in nicely
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Killer 11 wrote:Cool!!!
But the trees somewhat don't fit in nicely
Care to elaborate?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Wow, this looks nice, very nice! But I think the trees should be less bright, they seem somewhat unreal to me.
Image Image
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Better?
Attachments
2-parkb.png
2-parkb.png (47.32 KiB) Viewed 11695 times

Return to “Graphics Development”